Jambands.ca

Strangest beer you ever drank?

Del

I had it on my "night off" on Phish Fall Tour 2000. Coming from a ridiculous 2 night run in Mansfield, MA, we stopped for a night in Ithaca, NY, before hitting Darien Lake, NY. A dude we were travelling with lived there (he was doing his Masters studies at Cornell). I stayed and smoked some bowls with this other dude we were travelling with, while the guy from Ithaca and my other buddy went to the beer store. They asked what I wanted and I replied "Something with at least 5%...". They came back with a case of Labatt Canadian, assuming it's what we all drank up here. I told them we didn't even sell it up here. They laughed, I laughed, we got drunk. Watched the video from Phish 12-31-95, and got silly high. Got up the next day and were blown away in Darien... Sat drinking, listening to the soundcheck, went back to our campsite right next to the venue, got ready, and saw one of the sickest Phish shows I've ever seen... [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

My dad's homebrew during that craze of the early 90's

God-awful

One of the best brews ever to grace my lips was some water crap from the States after Jerry in Rochester in 91. I cant remember what it was (think Budweiser if you must, it wasnt that but the same league) but DAMN were we craving it when we finally got back to the hotel. We had WAY more than we needed, and took out a solid chunk of them. I also thought we lost my bro and our good friend Al that night.

"Mom, I know you didnt want me to corrupt my younger brother and all, but we lost him on tour."

I am damn glad I didnt have to make that phone call! Well, kinda glad.............. [Wink]

11/20/91 (Wed) War Memorial - Rochester, NY

Set 1: Cats Under The Stars Down Under The Stars, Stop That Train, Money Honey, Simple Twist Of Fate, Lay Down Sally, Like A Road, Deal

Set 2: The Way You Do The Things You Do, Waiting For A Miracle, Shining Star, Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Tangled Up In Blue,

E: Wonderful World

(Hmm, my copy is labelled as the 19th. Looks like I have some research to do. As Sloth has always said "Going to a JGB show was going to church")

that Maudite stuff from quebec with the label that had a chariot full of devils flying straight down to hell (9% I think)

love that label

a few of my dad's homebrews were probably way over that too though

rule of thumb, if the beer tastes more like wine than beer its probably pretty strong

A 40 of St.Ides (widemouth)...

Except it was aged about three years, it was kind of a competition within my household throughout my college years, every holiday it would get broken out on the latenight bindges and the brave would take a slug, it pretty much tasted like cider around the time of its demise, it was a sad day when my mom decided to clean out the infamous beer fridge...

pretty much like eatin the worm at the bottom of the tequila....

While in Belgium (Brussels 97) I had the pleasure of sampling "Bush Beer" (12%)(not the American Bush either) which is the strongest beer in Belgium and is actually more like a barley wine then a beer.I guess that would be the strangest I have drank.

Also:

"Rochefort 10" (11.3%)

"Duvel" (8.5%),which you can get at alot of liqour stores and is my favourite Belgium beer.

Think a trip to the liqour store is in order. [big Grin]

Finally thought of a couple Ive had:

Alright, the first one was tasted at a beer fest here in Calgary a number of years ago. Sam Adams Millenium. This stuff was wild. About 20% Alcohol, it packed a wild punch. Here is some info about it:

"Beer may not be the first drink that comes to mind when thinking of a millennial toast," said Koch, "but beer has been around for at least six previous millennia, unlike that newcomer Champagne, which has only been gracing New Year's Eve parties for a few hundred years."

"Beer has been enjoyed, even worshipped, for thousands of years: early beer lovers considered beer divine, since it possessed the spirit of the drinker in such a happy way. I know a little about beer worship, and I thought I'd brew the ultimate beer for an ultimate moment in history," said Koch.

The package is as elegant as the beer it contains: a cobalt blue bottle with platinum lettering, finished with a natural cork and sealing wax, encased in a cherry wood box. There are only 3,000 bottles of Samuel Adams Millennium, and each is signed and numbered by Koch. A bottle of Samuel Adams Millennium costs about two hundred dollars.

Specifications:

Millennium Availability: Once in a lifetime

Flavor Characteristics: Big, caramel, vanilla with notes of fruit and malt. Finishing clean and crisp.

Color: Reddish Amber

Alcohol by Volume: 19.5 - 20.0

Malt Type & Varieties: 2 Row, Caramel 60, Vienna

Hop Varieties: Spalt Spalter, Saaz Saazer, Tettnang Tettnanger, Hallertau Mittlefruh

First Brewed

Adjuncts or Preservatives: None

Special/Unique Ingredients & Procedures: Fermented with maple syrup, aged in bourbon barrels

----

OLD RASPUTIN RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. Would love to give this one another kick at the can (Just so happens Ill be in California in July, near the brewery itself!). Tried when I was first discovering the complexity that beer can attain (coincidence or not, it was on Phall '97 tour...headie brah, headie.). Quite full, layered with a very heavy influx of burnt coffee/malt/hop flavour. Here is the write up:

Contrary to what the name suggests, Russian Imperial Stout was originally brewed in 18th Century England. The name evolved as the Russian Imperial Court developed an early appreciation for this big, intense brew and provided a ready and eager export market.

It's been speculated that no one had a greater appreciation for this rich, roasty elixir than Rasputin, the mystic wag (and favorite of the ladies of the court), who was the ultimate downfall of Czar Nicholas II.

Rasputin is probably best remembered for his dramatic exit. Having been deemed politically expendable, he was fed poisoned wine and tea cakes by his rivals. Surviving that, he was shot several times - whereupon he attacked his assailants. He finally succumbed when bound and stuffed through a hole in the ice to drown in the River Neva. Legends that attribute his tenacity to his appetite for Russian Imperial Stout are unproven. A rich, intense brew with a robust palate, a fruity nose and a warming finish. Very complex.

91 Points, Rated "Exceptional" , Beverage Testing Institute, Chicago

Vital Statistics

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Color: Black

Bitterness: 75 IBU's

ABV: 8.9%

"These folk don't fool around with their beers. Very big, very complex, and downright kick-ass."

- The BrewGuide, February, 1998

Awards:

Gold Medal - 2002 Great American Beer Festival, Denver *

Bronze Medal- 2001 Great American Beer Festival, Denver *

Gold Medal - 1999 Great American Beer Festival, Denver *

Gold Medal - 1999 World Beer Championships, Chicago, IL

Gold Medal - 1998 World Beer Championships, Chicago, IL

Silver Cup - 1998 World Beer Cup, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Gold Medal - 1997 World Beer Championships, Chicago, IL

Gold Medal - 1996 World Beer Championships, Chicago, IL

Gold Cup - 1996 World Beer Cup, Vail Colorado

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com