Jambands.ca

George Harrison dead at 58

Jaimoe

My favourite Beatle is gone but will never be forgotten. Cancer is a terrible disease. My dad was 58 too when he died of cancer, although unlike George, he was never a smoker. As a kid of 5 in 1973, my dad bought me my first record: Meet The Beatles. I still own and love listening to it. I think that George is/was one of the more underrated pop/rock guitarists of the last 35 years. I've always loved his singing voice too - he sings with a touch of vulnerability. Although not a prolific songwriter, George's songs have a lot of staying power for me. I'll never tire of Here Comes The Sun, Taxman; Something; If I Needed Someone etc... R.I.P. George. You are missed.

its all too much:

Only A Northern Song (Harrison)

If you're listening to this song

You may think the chords are going wrong

But they're not;

He just wrote it like that.

It doesn't really matter what chords I play

What words I say or time of day it is

As it's only a Northern song

It doesn't really matter what clothes I wear

Or how I fare or if my hair is brown

When it's only a Northern song.

When you're listening late at night

You may think the band are not quite right

But they are, they just play it like that

As it's only a Northern song.

It doesn't really matter what clothes I wear

Or how I fare or if my hair is brown

When it's only a Northern song.

If you think the harmony

Is a little dark and out of key

You're correct, there's nobody there.

And I told you there's no one there.

harrison.jpg

My Sweet George

I remember in Grade 10, getting my first electric guitar and learning. Everything I was learning, and learned was through the Beatles. George was my favorite of the four, and I tried to learn everything that he played. I remember first trying to learn the Get Back solos. I remember wondering how the hell George did that, yet after a lot of effort, I eventually learned it. Then, a couple of years later, I found out it was Lennon who played those parts.

Well, I learned a lot of George over the years, I was even part of a Beatles Cover band called the Beatless that played at the British Pavilion every year for Kingston's Folklore. What position was I in that band? I played the George position. I even went as far as buying a 12 Rickenbacker reissue of the Harrison model to play all of those tunes that required it. Ticket to Ride, Hard Days Night (G7Sus4), You can't do that, etc...

Anyway, George was a major early influence on me musically, and I will never forget that. I always recommend to folks just learning guitar, to listen and learn the Beatles, the fundamentals are all there, and it's FUN.

Hari Krishna George!

mike

- George wrote this for John when he passed on, I can't wait to see what Paul writes for George.

They've forgotten all about God

He's the only reason we exist

Yet you were the one that they said was

so weird

All those years ago

You said it all though not many had ears

All those years ago

You had control of our smiles and our tears

All those years ago

- All Those Years Ago

George Harrison

Also my favorite Beatle and second favorite Traveling Wilbury. I had never seen what he wrote for John Lennon that was beautiful. Found these George Lyrics...

"There'll come a time when all of us must leave here

Then nothing sister Mary can do

Will keep me here with you

As nothing in this life that I've been trying

Could equal or surpass the art of dying

Do you believe me?

There'll come a time when all your hopes are fading

When things that seemed so very plain

Become an awful pain

Searching for the truth among the lying

And answered when you've learned the art of dying

But you're still with me

But if you want it

Then you must find it

But when you have it

There'll be no need for it

There'll come a time when most of us return here

Brought back by our desire to be

A perfect entity

Living through a million years of crying

Until you've realized the Art of Dying

Do you believe me?

wow and all these years i thought i was going against the rest of society by picking george and then ringo to be my favourite beatles... turns out everybody liked george best...

catphish, who is your favourite traveling wilbury? was waylon in that band?

i am not only sad that he is gone from here, but also sad that george didn't record more in the past few years.

As a teacher, it was weird to take time out today and explain at times who he was, at times why the Beatles should be mourned (or at the very least, why their parents were mourning them) and just how much all the crap music that the majority of them owes to all the Beatles. George was responsible for saving my sanity one night (morning) and while he'll never know it, I'm grateful.

My guitar gently weeps...

and then there were two..... frown.gif" border="0

Even though today bites, I finally got to see the old school Willbury videos on Much More Music today. You have no idea how long I've waited to see those videos again. I even sent a random e-mail to Much Music RSVP a few years ago but who could compete with all the Backstreet requests. Too bad they had to show the videos for this sort of incident though...

Hey, maybe they'll reissue the Willbury cd's (they're currently out of print)!!! Gotta think positive in times like these. Let's not mourn but celebrate the AWESOME tunes and spirit George has graced us with!!

"handle me with care" grin.gif" border="0