Jambands.ca

summer reading

jaybone

plannin a trip to the library today. Now that exams are over it is time to catch up on some reading i've been neglecting. I can't think of anything particular that i want to read so i figured i'ld ask for a few suggestions. just to get the ball rolling I'ld recommend Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler. a pretty good read by a Canadian author.

1)Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

2)A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

3)ANYTHING by John Steinbeck but my favorite is Travels with Charley

4)ANYTHING by Ernest Hemmingway

5)On the Road - Jack Kerouac

6)Good News for a Change - David Suzuki

7)Anything by Tom Robbins

I could go on and on....but that is a good start.

...have U read 'Fierce invalids from hot climates'by Tom Robbins? Also U mabey read this in school...'Catch 22'...I've just begun reading this and I suspect it's so famous for good reason...it's shaping up to be one of the best books I've ever read...

Glad this thread got started...I'm always looking for good reads..but kinda lazy about searching 'em out. grin.gif" border="0 ..also James Morrows-Towing Jehovah..allthough I lent this one out and it was not well recieved..but I liked it.

J-john king:

it is very sharp, articulate british writing.

lots of class struggle type stuff, written in a rough but still intellectual style.

kinda similar to (i forget his name--wrote extasy, acid house etc.) but not quite as sexual...fuck what's his name...yikes. confused.gif" border="0

anyways, i really enjoyed his writing style and content alot. Barrett could elaborate a little better than i...i'm no english lit major.

thanx for the suggestions and keep'em comin'!! LJFH, i gotta say, seems like we have similar tastes ('cept for Hemmingway..blah!). I read that Dan Milman book last year and also read the follow up called Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior. I enjoy those spiritual journey books but i never seem to take the lessons to heart. But if you are into that style then pick up Ismael by Daniel Quinn. Well written and interesting lessons. Loving all things Tom Robbins and i'm half tempted to reread Jitterbug Perfume. I've at one time owned everything by Tom Robbins but i'm always recommending them to friends and passing them along. My collection has seriously dwindled.

I'll second LJHF's vote for Tom Robbins. The most *fun* author I've ever read - he exploits language and is funny as hell. I haven't gotten through his whole catalog though, unfortunately. I do strongly recommend you seek out "Fierce Invalids Returning Home From Hot Climates" (or something very similar) - it's his latest. Also had a blast with Still-Life With Woodpecker. And while I'm on the subject of wordsmiths, Tibor Fischer's "The Thought Gang" - it was the best book I'd ever read....

Dain (who rarely enjoys others' book suggestions himself, but these made me happy nonetheless)

Kurt Vonnegut...the man is about as incisive and insightful as anyone ever has been

Then, if yer into lemurs, the odd William Burroughs read will do ya just fine...

Finally, for that epic length kind of thing, Frank Herbert's Dune series. It might be found in the 'Sci-Fi' section, but this series of books has more to do with religion and its mis-use than even the Bible... (P.S.Do not watch the movie/made-fer-T.V. series. The David Lynch bit has been editted to hell and back again, while the T.V. version was made by morons and/or kindergarteners)

shocked.gif" border="0

just remembered a great book i read earlier in the year. A Hearbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Kind of heavy topics (death of family etc.) but told in a light way. It's a true story by a guy in his twenties. lots of times scenes and memories from that book just randomly pop in my head. I always know it's a good book by the way scenes or phrases stick with me (John Irving often does that for me).

Yeah, HWOSG is a great book. If you haven't read them, check these out:

1. Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco)

2. The Magus (John Fowles)

3. Mr. Nice (Howard Marks, a great auto-bio of a drug smuggler)

4. Pecked to Death by Ducks (Tim Cahill)

5. New Confessions (William Boyd)

Currently reading This Side of Paradise, 1917 Revolution, Riding the Iron Rooster, and re-reading the Magus.

I could never get into Tom Robbins (ooo Im going to get flak for that one)

I find him awkward in developing characters, this person said this, then did that. I prefer Graham Greene or Ondaatje's styles of suggesting the character of characters.

I love the balls out rock'n'roll style of HST, John King, Irvine Welsh, but also enjoy "lighter", or more readable techniques of Vonnegut or Balzac (radically different I know but there's that element of satire). I find Robertson Davies good summer reading- entertaining and very Canadian.

If you get a chance, read Miles Davis' Autobiography. great stuff. Actually I'm always looking out for good biographies, or autobiographies... any recommendations?

with you for tom robbins, he's flakey

not wanted on the voyage

butterfly plague

headhunter-timothy findley

breifing for a decent into hell-doris lessing (kind of a hard read, but worth it)

on the beach-nevil shute

the power of one-bryce courtney

In case anyone is interested I ended up choosing Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje and have been happily breezing through that. I've read a couple other of Ondaatje's works with mixed reviews. Didn't like the English Patient that much but love In The Skin of a Lion. Speaking of which, In The Skin of a Lion has been chosen as the book the whole country is supposed to read by the CBC. Great book and i'ld recommend picking it up, especially for all you toronto kids. Thanx for all the recomendations and i'll be sure to pick up a few of them over the summer.

Foccault's Pendulum. I've tried reading that book a few times and i've never made it all the way through. Crazy story and conspiracy theories. Last time i tried reading it i was tearing through it and would have finished it but I lost the book when i was about 3/4 of the way through! I figure it just wasn't meant to be.