Jambands.ca

Question of the Day

Ms.Huxtable

I kinda like plain ol' spinach. Clean, dry, peel off big stems, melt a teaspoon of butter in a wok and cook until spinach has reduced. Salt and pepper mandatory.

Sometimes, I like a nice spinach salad with hard boiled eggs, bean sprouts, tomatoes, avocados and mushrooms.

I'm strong to the finish 'cause I eats me spinach...... Ug ug ug ug uggg [Wink]

Though you can get packaged stir fry sauces at the grocery store, I don't always use them. Sometimes I just toss in some sort of bbq sauce, or jerk sauce. Even soya sauce can add a bit of flavour to any of the already mentioned sauces or even on it's own. I tend to just open the fridge/pantry, see what's there, and come up with some combination of whatever sauces and fresh herbs I have (I love having a mommy with a green thumb!!)

And as to another way of cooking spinach, Ms. Hux way sounds great I'm going to try it next time, but if you want to go a little more on the 'lite'r side (as if spinach wasn't lite enough) just throw the spinach in one of those veggie steamers in a pot with some water and let it steam up (or down actually).

I'm in the middle of cooking that stir fry I mentioned earlier, and true to my own form, I just threw a bunch of things together for a sauce, but this time i htink I created a masterpiece or a monster, that's yet to be determined. It smells and initially tastes great, let's just see how it goes with the entire stir fry.

It's SO simple to make, and literally was a conglomeration of things in my fridge.

Kikkoman Roasted Garlic Teriyaki sauce,

Diana Sauce Gormet Spicy flavour, Soya sauce, Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and a last minute addition, Inniskillin Riesling a white wine.

should be good.

I dislike cooking. At least I grow my own alfalfa sprouts. Hey, it's something. As for the Twizzlers, well, they were an appetizer. I console myself with the fact that the world is full of men that are attracted to women with ample backsides.

What do I *want* for dinner? Sashimi. Instead, I'll probably make a huge cucumber/tomato/feta salad, with a lot of homegrown Greek oregano.

One of these days I'm going to learn that watermelons make lousy impulse purchases. (It's one of the few stupid mistakes I make repeatedly that don't involve men, vodka or shoes.) I'd better eat that darned thing before it evolves.

ha ha! i do that with yogurt too.

sounds like a wicked salad though - what's the dressing on that?

(yes I AM leaching your ideas - you think i ask these questions of the day just to give us something to talk about?)

Tonight it was Mom-made meatloaf, baked potatoes, and brussels sprouts with tomatoes (I did the shopping, and was told to get some nice vegetable of my choice; the sprouts looked good, so I threw 'em in a fry pan with olive oil, diced onion, garlic, cracked pepper, and diced plum tomatoes; cook over medium heat until the sprouts are still just barely crunchy).

While it was cooking, Mom asked how long it'd take. "Well," I said, "since you can eat everything in the fry pan raw, it doesn't really matter." It was one of those throw-random-food-into-a-fry-pan things that often works out pretty well. Take good food, don't do much to it except let it get happy* and enjoy.

Aloha,

Brad

* Sorry; I just finished watching Emeril...

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

What do I *want* for dinner? Sashimi.

I was just watching a program on The Food Network called "Opening Soon", which profiles new restaurants as they get built and get ready to open (and the trials and tribulations therein). This episode, the restaurant under the microscope was Kinki* in the Byward Market. It looks like a moderately upscale Japanese/Asian semi-fusion place, with a sushi/sashimi bar.

Has anybody tried it? It's located at 41 York St., right beside Expedition.

Aloha,

Brad

* I couldn't find a URL for the restaurant itself.

Arcane,

i would LOVE it if you would start a thread, or even a wee column of your reviews if you are planning to sample every japanese restaurant for sushi!!

i have TOTALLY lost track of whats where in the city

even if you just provided a quick checklist of each

A) Name and Location

B) price range

C) good/poor selection

D) service

E) delivery available?

F) Overall Impression

thats it

well its up to you, but you'd be doing us sushi lovers a great service. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by h:

Arcane,

i would LOVE it if you would start a thread, or even a wee column of your reviews if you are planning to sample every japanese restaurant for sushi!!

I'd have to keep track of The Mercenary's comments ... my reviews amount to "yum, raw fish!"

booze for supper. you silly.

arcane, if you actually would consider that you could email me any sort of review you like at heather@jambands.ca

i woudl appreciate it and make sure they are put together in a good way.

if you dont want to consider it, no pressure at all, it's just a side thing anyway, that i thought people would find handy.

[big Grin]

As well as sushi and sashimi (and sake :-), I'd like to find a place that does good tempura. You know, the just-barely-battered-so-you-can-still-see-the-food quick-cooked kind. When I was in Japan, my brother (who lives there) and I went to a little place and had the best I'd ever had.

Aloha,

Brad