Jambands.ca

NERO AT DEKCUF!

Ms.Huxtable

Aloha and gooooooood morning! Yes, it's freaking early. Yes, I am as hungover as I've ever been and YES, I am still smiling from the sweet grooves of nero. It's so good to have the boys back in town.

I think kudos should go out to those kind pholks over at Dekcuf. They were once again excellent hosts. There were pinapples on the bar, drink umbrellas and even a special drink of the night.....Neroly Blind Blue Hawaiian. (Too yummy BTW and it makes an excellent chaser to Jack Daniels shooters [Wink] ).

nero was as magnificent as ever and it was very evident to me that touring has made them a tight, well-oiled machine (as if they weren't before). I noticed subtle changes in almost every song, tweaked to perfection. My favorite song last night was Condor. My palm met my forehead in disbelief so many times. It was all I could do not to explode. I can't put my finger on why, but nero consistently brings me to the most euphoric places. Thank you so much guys.

Quote of the night (said by none other than Lucy's friend):

"So do these guys sing? Well do they play any covers? No don't get me wrong, they're pretty good."

KILLER NIGHT!!! Nice back-alley sessions, man, I gotta know the tunes n such...I mail-bombed a few peeps I trade with and they love it ,especially the neronomma 4-20 show. Spreadin' the good vibes to the U.S. heads is always good. Man...I ate (no joke) 8 slices of Pizza Pizza....geez that hurt my insides this AM!!....goood to se y'all (whoever you are [smile] ....peace on Earth! Whats goin' on this weekend??......must remove Gillette Foamy from my tongue now.... [Razz]

nero rocks.... something about being at a nero show in that room.... man... a warm fuzzy, being hugged from the inside out type of feeling.... or it could have been the tea....

Better every time....

How fucking cool were the lights!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jebusssssss...... Imagine if they had someone who knew the songs working them!!!!

It is nights like last night that have the Cafe Dekcuf wanting to get this crowd in their bar as much as possible. I love how the managment has come full circle and are now totaly onside with this crew tokers and jokers, but realy, we are any bars wet dream, we come out any night, drink like phish and never cause a problem (except sloth).... starting in the fall, we are all gonna be spending a lot of time there..... a lot!

Guest Low Roller

That much fun cannot be legal. First Tube? WTF!

Holy, it's been a while. Dekcuf has turned it up to 11 with the lights, visual effects on the TV monitors (everybody saw those, right?) and those frickin' laser beams.

Of course the HIGHlight of the night was Nero spontaneously combusting on stage. WOW!

And to top it all off Poland BEAT the US 3-1 in World Cup soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by dancingfool:

I'll have to see when the next show is. My guess: mid-July when I'm away on vacation. Just to keep my luck consistent.

Canada Day, w/ Ferriswheeler. IIRC, Babylon is putting on a barbecue starting in the afternoon, with the bands starting up after the fireworks.

Aloha,

Brad

OK, I think I'm ready to talk about the evening in language that doesn't read like bad Samuel R. Delany*.

Great googly moogly, that was fun. I think I knew how much fun it was going to be when I saw the sight of us (BradM, doubleB, jaybone, LowRoller, dave-O, and arcane) walking to the club; with the guys in Hawaiian clothing up front, and arcane (also pretty islandish) in the back, it was like she was a psychedelic dog-walking service. (Arcane, what was your quote as we walked down Dalhousie? Something about being a fag hag, or was that my response?)

We got to Dekcuf, and aside from Velvet at the door, we had a "Who are all these people? double-take. The place was pretty full, but not with the usual crowd.

Once the usual crowd started streaming in, the fun vibe got amped up severely. During a lot of the first set, it was like Nero was just the backup band for the party we were having. (I don't mean that to be dismissive; the music was probably the best [except maybe for Nero's Eve] that I'd heard them play.)

And man, that "First Tube" first set closer. That was a show closer, it was so intense, and there was another set to come.

It's good to see Dekcuf opening up the patio; set break is loads better out there than on the street.

While the first set was solid groove, the second set was much more intense. I'm not sure I remember which songs happened when (or even which were played), but they were hitting hard. They seemed tighter (if you can play loose grooves tightly...) than before, stronger.

Thanks, guys. Actually, thanks, everybody.

Aloha,

Brad

* Though if I dyed my beard white, dyed my skin brown, put on a hundred pounds or so and went gay, the match would almost be complete...

Y'know, once everyone was gone and it was just me and the band sitting around, all I could say was what a great great great fuckin' group of people it is that comes out to these shows. The vibe is so good, so positive. Thank y'all for that.

For the record, BradM was correct in that nero and Ferris Wheeler will be at Babylon on Canada Day, and there will be afternoon BBQ delights, but the fact is that the bands should be done by fireworks time. The doors open at 4pm, Ferris Wheeler will do a nice looong set, then BBQ then nero will do a couple of long sets starting around 7pm. The show will END at 10pm.

Anywho, we're off to the wonderful east coast tomorrow, we'll see y'all when we get back for Kingston, Frontier Town, and the bestest day of the year, everyone's birthday, Canada Day!

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

with the guys in Hawaiian clothing up front, and arcane (also pretty islandish) in the back, it was like she was a psychedelic dog-walking service. (Arcane, what was your quote as we walked down Dalhousie? Something about being a fag hag, or was that my response?)

To quote you, "I don't remember what I had for *breakfast.*

I think I said something about enjoying being surrounded by attractive young men in wild shirts. Hey, even if you *were* all gay, I couldn't lose ...

-- I'd have someone to fix up my questionable fashion sense (when you consider the shirts, you get some idea of the severity of my fashion impairment)

-- You're bigger targets than I am

... and hey, I know you're not gay--I lei'd all of you [big Grin]