Jambands.ca

Must Have Albums? (xmas is coming)

CyberHippie

Ok, my family is bugging me for xmas suggestions, and since I need nothing it may be a good time to ramp up my cd collection. Of course whenever you try to think of a cd you want, you come up with nothing... So I'm looking for a little help! What's an album I NEED to own? I'm thinking more in the jazz/funk/blues realm...

So far all I got is:

Isaac Hayes - Live at the Sahara Tahoe

Jimmy Smith - Root Down

Thanks for your help!

Here's some goodies trev...

James Brown:Funk Power 1970,Polydor

-with Bootsy/Catfish Collins,huge funked-out versions of his best stuff...

Red Snapper:Prince Blimey, Warp

-Kick ass mostly instrumental british boys-tripped out guitars and stand-up bass with amazing production

Fila Brazillia:A Touch Of Cloth,Tritone

-My favourite Fila album, cool ass packaging too!

Breakestra:LiveMix Part 2,Stones Throw

-Amazing!! Live 9 piece band plays out all the jazz/funk loops that hip-hop stole-one big continous journey from loop to loop to song....whew!!

Jimmy McGriff:Electric Funk, BlueNote

-Sweet B3 based funk, punchy originals and a cover of 'Spinning Wheel' that's schweeet!

Herbie Hancock:Thrust, Columbia

-Personally I like this one better than Headhunters, has some live off the floor tracks that are just incredible....

hope this helps!!

i alos vote for

james brown-funk power but check out his funky people volumes, very funky.

also check out some

wes montgomery. his trio album w/ jimmy smith is good as well as full house.

miles davis- miles in the sky or bitches brew

weather report- sweetnighter

john mayall's jazz blues fusion is a great album

oh and of course don't forget

JURASSIC 5!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

Brian! The Ozzy bar in Seoul isn't cutting it musically?

I'd figure you'd have a billion music suggestions for me!

What about Coletrane? Marc mentioned a really good one, but I was high, no I forget!
[Roll Eyes]

Also anyone know any good delta, down and dirty, slide guitaring, raunchy blues?

Actually Trev, I always have a million (& 1) suggestions - so many, that I rarely know where to start! In addition to the ones that Marc mentioned, some more good Coletrane albums are Ascension (trippy) and My Favourite Things (songs from popular musicals, soooo well done).

I also recommend:

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um, or Mingus Dynasty

Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Horace Silver - The 27th Man (maybe its The Ninth Man, I can't remember - my collection is on the other side of the planet - it's the one with the long-distance runner on the cover - anyone?)

Frank Zappa - Make A Jazz Noise Here, or The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (or any of the live albums from the 1988 tour)

As for some good bluesy stuff... if you haven't heard The Word yet, they're very good!

Errrrr... can't think of any more without seeing them in front of me right now. And no, The Ozzy Bar doesn't quite cut it - but you do get to choose CDs from the bar's collection and they will play them, although they don't have much that I would choose (my pick, naturally, was... Ozzy).

Cheers!

Brian.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

Hey Trev -

Let's not forget a little Miles for Festivus!:.......

Get Up With It (Marc? That's the double one with the two 30 min tracks to start each disc, right?)

Missing my own collection in storage across the planet,

Brian.

Yup, Get Up With It. A flawed album but worth having if for no other reason than the captivating lead track, "He Loved Him Madly".

Trev, a little Parliament/Funkadelic would not be out of order. Also, I recommended "Giant Steps" or "A Love Supreme" as good entry points for Coltrane. Not imaginative choices but what the hey....

Also, Nick Carter has a new CD out, but I bet you already have that one don't you?? [big Grin]

There are a few albums that have gotten me through... [smile]

Weezer.. the blue one

Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever, Amen

Frente..Marvin the Album

Hayden..I forget but it's the one with in september

Any ANI

Marvin Gaye, Lets get it on

The Beatles.. Abbey Road

ok this is getting out of hand.. [smile]

Cheers,

Sarah

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

Dear Brian -

Your presence on this board fills me with fear. I tremble and wimper with dread.
[Eek!]

Marc.

The only reason I have finally made an appearance on this board after being a member for a full year is to fill you with fear. Trevor and Steve, you had best be whimpering too. I won't even mention what I have in store for Scottie King... [Wink]

Oh, and Shain mentioned Wayne Shorter. I recommend:

The All-Seeing Eye

Speak No Evil

Juju

Live in fear!

Brian.