Jambands.ca

Must Have Albums? (xmas is coming)

CyberHippie

Hey CyberHippie. Here's some of the dirtiest delta-slide guitarists & albums and a few dirty modern down and dirty blues artists for you to check out:

" Live On Maxwell Street " ( 1964 ) - Robert Nighthawk: Spooky and gritty stuff. Thank me after you get it.

" Shake Your Money Maker: The Best Of The Fire Sessions " - Elmore James: One of the greats of slide players off all time.

" Blue Guitar " - Earl Hooker: A cousin of BB King's and BB's greatest guitar influence. BB tried to emulate Earl's slide playing, hence BB's smooth and fluid style. Earl is the devil with a guitar.

" Real Folk Blues and The Complete Chess Recordings box set " - Muddy Waters: The greatest of them all. Everyone should have Muddy in their cd collection.

Here's some modern selections.

" Duane Allman Anthology Vol 1 & 2 " - various artists: For such a young guy, Duane sure played for a lot of different artists - from blues to jazz. A must. His solo stuff is surprisingly good too.

" Sweet Tea " ( 2001 ) - Buddy Guy: This is Buddy doing delta blues. The band is small and they played straight into the mixing board. It's as good as blues can get. Buddy smokes. His best album and I told him so myself.

AW YEAH Trev-I couldn't find yer earlier post about the Feelin' Alright best version, but I've found a new contender that kicks ass!!

West Coast Revival - Feelin' Alright

Album is called 'California Soul' and is on Luv n' Haight/Ubiquity....it's a mixed funk release.

I can tell you right now it's gonna be on the next Strokin the Grits disc-

here are some faves of mine right now.

funk/rock: the meters - cabbage alley

tom waits meets a 13 piece band: the silver hearts - (??)

introspective and emotional flamenco jazz: charlie haden/egberto gismonti - live in montreal

music to make me want more of a tan: pyramid trio - ethnic stew and brew

catchy, funny, pop: steven malkmus - s/t (ticks)

spooky sequenced breakbeat jazz madness: the grassy knoll - III

who's playing in here: garcia/grisman - so what

spacy college rock: black rebel motorcycle club - s/t

pretty much any elliot smith(songwriting), mogwai(orchestral build), cat power(raw emoitional songwriting), tortiose(free jazz post rock fun), chicago underground(post rock free jazz fun)

experimental 70's guitars: trans am - s/t

solid: beastie boys - check your head/paul's boutique

nice airy acoustic guitarts: damon and naomi - with ghost

when sebadoh's just too much: folk implosion - dare to be suprised

ambience: bob marley -

(I don't remember the title but it's

ambient dub translations by bill laswell)

alkaline - s/t

groovin: MMW - jungle/dropper/uninvisible

more groovin': greyboy - freestylin

melancholy: portishead - dummy

hope i could help a bit.

Hey Hamilton, are you referring to Woodstock in Seoul?

If memory serves, they have a pretty amazing vinyl collection, considering you're in Korea and all.

Never forget my first time entering the place. I sat at a table and looked down. Carved into the table was a Phish logo with "set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul" carved into the wood. I felt right at home.

quote:

Originally posted by Blane:

Hey Hamilton, are you referring to Woodstock in Seoul?

If memory serves, they have a pretty amazing vinyl collection, considering you're in Korea and all.

Never forget my first time entering the place. I sat at a table and looked down. Carved into the table was a Phish logo with "set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul" carved into the wood. I felt right at home.

Can't say that I've been there yet - what part of the city is it in, Itae-won (I'm not sure if I'm spelling any of this correctly, but I'm sure you know what I mean)? The Ozzy Bar is down some side alley in Myeong-Dong, and they have a lot of discs to choose from - just not a lot that I'm interested in.

More cool albums:

DePhazz - Death By Chocolate

Sigur Ros - (can't remember the title)

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Levez Yr Skinny Fists To Heaven Comme Antennae

Ben Folds Five - (the one that came *after* Whatever And Ever, Amen - although that one is good too)

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Oh, and if anyone cares, I finally remembered the title of that Horace Silver album I mentioned last week - it's called "In Pursuit Of the 27th Man"; lots of vibes - nice.

Blane - and Scottie, too - do you have any other suggestions for cool places to hang out in Seoul? I live in Kang-namGu, near YeoksamDong. [big Grin]

Brian.

well, I can't vouch that these places are still there (I left Seoul in 2000), but I like Woodstock, which is in your neck of the woods. I think it's near Samsung-dong. All requests, and the guy's favorite band is Pink Floyd.

The only place I ever went in Itaewon is Gecko's, because they had pretty good beer. For dancing nights I was fond of M.I. (Musical Intelligence) which is a DJ Club in Hong-Dae and KoKuRyo, which is somewhere in the Kang-nam area, but damned if I remember where. If you do a search under Seoul/nightlife or Seoul/woodstock, you'll get some of these places.

Good luck! The fun places are a bit tricky to find.

HEY, I nearly forgot the only brewpub we ever found in Korea. If you want a 5,000 won pint of stout, this is the place to go. It's called Alligator or Crocodile, damn. I wish I remembered which.

check out this article, if you like clubs: clubbing in Seoul

Blane

Hey -

Okay, last public post about Seoul nightlife:

Blane - thanks for the info. Woodstock shouldn't be hard to find, since I work right behind the Glass Tower at Samsung-dong. There *is* another Woodstock in Itaewon, as well.

And, to say something that's actually *on* topic, here are some more great albums:

Bill Frissell : Gone, Just Like A Train; Blues Dream; Nashville; Ghost Town; aww hell, anything by ol' Billy-boy is just fine by me.

Bill Frissell is a stunning jazz guitarist - great tone and atmosphere, and a wide range of styles, too. You'll like him, Trevor - as will many of the rest of you...

Concert update: Toto are playing here next month [Roll Eyes] . Gee, I can't wait... [Wink]

Brian.

PS - Marc, I *knew* you would appreciate my choice of avatar...

Yo, Canned Beats! I saw in your list that you mentioned " tom waits meets a 13 piece band: the silver hearts - (??) ".. Where did you get this? Did The Silver Hearts actually collaborate with Tom Waits? I know some members of the band were pretty keen on it but I didn't think it ever actually happened.

Everyone should check out Peterborough's The Silver Hearts by the way. They've got upcoming gigs in Toronto, Hamilton, Peterborough and Ottawa.

kevo - it was just a sort of all in one sort of descriptor - music is so intricate that a single description could easily be a paragraph iff you let it...the silver hearts remind me of tom waits with overtones of old country...it's a 13 piece band with a theremin, trumpiano, harmonica, and saw player...

killer band that you should all go see. it's not groovy but it's nice to have a break every so often....

i'm in studio and a friend of mine put on the new chevelle album....it's the first time i've heard the band...heavy, aggressive band...but i know it's be a great show and it's produced with some interesting low octave sweeps and such...interesting sounds on heavy albums for sure.

you'll be hearing this on x-fm sometime soon i'd assume.

but yeah, the silver hearts. check em out.