Jambands.ca

Energy Drinks - Good or bad?

CyberHippie

So as I headed out early saturday morning, to Toronto Island, after only 3 hours of sleep, I was in need of a pick-me-up. I stopped at the store and picked up an "energy drink" I can't remember what is was called, but it was in a fancy slim/silver can. It was pretty tastey and citrusy. So, after a bowl and the drink I felt like a million bucks! I'd definitely try it again.

Now the question is, what are these all about? Are they safe and healthy? With eating more energy bars and energy drinks I wanna make sure this stuff is actually ok.

my only experience thus far is with RedBull. We pick up little bottles of it in China Town, 10 for $10.

They basically allow me to have later evenings without having to fall asleep. I haven't used them for much else yet, but we'll be bringing some to the Shaker.

I'm sure they're not part of a healthy diet due to the incredible amount of glucose and whatever the hell else is in them, but they sure can save you when you don't have decent sleep.

my only experience thus far is with RedBull. We pick up little bottles of it in China Town, 10 for $10.

They basically allow me to have later evenings without having to fall asleep. I haven't used them for much else yet, but we'll be bringing some to the Shaker.

I'm sure they're not part of a healthy diet due to the incredible amount of glucose and whatever the hell else is in them, but they sure can save you when you don't have decent sleep.

I recall getting diet (sugar-free) Red Bull at a gas station near Deer Creek last year; has anybody seen it up here?

Aloha,

Brad

red bull has something called taurine in it - that's the active ingredient - don't know what taurine is, but i'm pretty sure it's not approved for sale in canada (that's why you can only get it in chinatown(s)). i have a feeling taurine is a brand name for something else.

I think that so called energy drinks are the wrong way to go for energy supplements (over the counter I mean). Red Bull and other equivalents have some guts but they're obviously not FDA approved- although the side effects aren't bad. I don't think ephedrine's the way to go either cause if you got a tricky heart you're toast. I use those little vials of ginseng (the green ones with 5000 ml. of siberian ginseng not the red ones with royal jelly and a lower quality ginseng) and they work great. B vitamins are generally good to help your body cope with stress and give you energy (B's are also contained in royal jelly in natural form and ginseng also acts as an adaptogen which means it adapts to help your body cope with a variety of stresses). Here's some info on taurine.

Taurine is an amino acid-like compound and a component of bile acids, which are used to help absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins. Taurine also helps regulate the heart beat, maintain cell membrane stability, and prevent brain cell over-activity.

Taurine functions in electrically active tissues such as the brain and heart to help stabilize cell membranes. Taurine seems to inhibit and modulate neurotransmitters in the brain and helps to stabilize cell membranes. It also has functions in the gallbladder, eyes, and blood vessels and appears to have some antioxidant and detoxifying activity.

there's also 80mg of caffeine in RedBull. i think this may account for its restricted sales in Canada, as only cola-type beverages are deemed suitable to contain caffeine (aside from coffee, tea, etc). i don't recall the exact policy, but it's something to that effect - i remember looking into it a few years ago when I was told that Canadian Mountain Dew does not have any caffeine in it.

anyways, 80mg of caffeine is more than any other soft-drink, but about equal to or less than an 8oz cup of joe (usually around 100mg of caffeine).

please check out the Health Canada site or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for legitimate info (i didn't have the time).

Yeah the one I had didn't have any taurine which is a good thing (don't wanna mess with that), but it did have guarana for the kick. It also had ginsing, but not a ton of sugar. So it sounds like my label inspections turned out well. Now I just gotta figure out what it was called, and double check on the ingredients. It could be a better alternative than coffee for me, since coffee really bothers my stomach so I don't drink it.

cyberhippie, how do I get involved in this phenomenon called frisbee golf?

Well I just got back, I'm hitting it up weeknights and weekends now. So, if you wanna play sometime let me know and we can either meet for a game, or I'll give you all the details where to go.

well taurine is not a bad thing for you...at least not in small doses. As said, it is simply an amino acid which is a good thing. We receive these through a regular healthy diet. The sale of individual (as in single) amino acids is not currently legal in canada. This is due to people such as body-builders misusing them and often taking a lethal dose (far beyond what is in said drinks). This is unfortunate cuz amino acids taken as a supplement can help with a variety of illnesses.

As for the drinks, avoid tonnes of sugar, guarana (sp?), caffine and ephedrine. the best way to get your energy is through a good balanced diet and good sleep.