Jambands.ca

QotD Tuesday April 8

arcane

You just know it's going to be one of the following artists:

* Stompin' Tom

* Anny Murray

* The Guess Who

* Bryan Adams

My vote would be for something from Kim Mitchell or maybe Max Webster. There's something about "Go for a Soda" and "Patio Lanterns" that sums up Canadian ambivalence nicely.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

And Brad - I believe The Band generally counts as CanCon for the purposes of radio airplay, so who are we to argue with the CRTC?
[Wink]

It's CanCon if two of the following four items are Canadian: Music, Artist, Production, Lyrics ... unless the recording was produced prior to (help me out ...) 1971 (?), in which case, only one is required ... or at least that used to be the case.

CanCon overview

Yeh, I think Band songs are generally considered CanCon 'cus most were written by Robertson (there's your M & L) and the band themselves are considered "Canadian" artists. I think they recorded mostly in the States, but 3/4 gets you there.

It's been a few years since my first year Radio Management class at Ryerson though so I probably shouldn't be trusted! [Razz]

- M.

I have to vote for Music From Big Pink as well...

And just for the record, I have it from a (late) inside source that Robertson didn't write all their material, he just signed his name to it. Artists weren't as concerned with that sort of thing at the time, and the rest of the Band got dupped...

i met robbie robertson at a pow-wow in Brantford a couple of years ago.

It was a hot day so everybody there was in jeans and teeshirts except for Robbie. He wore a full length leather jacket with leather pants a jet black designer shirt and some slick looking sunglasses. He looked like a pretentious movie star jackass. But I went over to him anyway, introduced myself and let him know I was a big fan. He basically was like 'yeh thanks kid now get out of my face'. the whole thing annoyed me very much!

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

My vote would be for something from Kim Mitchell or maybe Max Webster. There's something about "Go for a Soda" and "Patio Lanterns" that sums up Canadian ambivalence nicely.

LOL... Kim Mitchell forever!!!!!!!!

If I had to pick, I would pick Joni Mitchell.. anything. She is underated for her talent.

Yo! So as a sort of a companion to the whole "Canada Reads" thing (where they try to get everyone in Canada reading one book), CBC Radio is currently doing something they call "Canada Listens". Basically, they've asked a number of somewhat prominent Canadians to pick what they think is the "ultimate" Canadian record.

http://www.artscanada.cbc.ca/canadalistens for the details.

So here's the question - what do you consider the ultimate Canadian record?

Personally, my gut reaction is that I'd have to go with "Moving Pictures" by Rush, but there are tonnes of other great ones. What's your choice?

Peace,

Mr. M.

I think that any " ultimate " Canadian album must have elements of Canadiana in it's lyrical and musical content. Moving Pictures does not ( YYZ is Canadian in title only ). Signals always seemed more Canadian to me. However, Rush as a whole are never anything to me but Canadian. There's just nothing about their music that say " Canadian ". Music From The Big Pink seems more rooted in Americana-gospel-folk than Canadian; although it's a timeless musical masterpiece.

Still, it's tough coming up with an " ultimate " Canadian album. Here's a few that make me think and feel Canadian:

Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws - Bruce Cockburn ( actually, almost any BC album applies ).

Comes A Time - Neil Young ( Because of the cover of Ian & Sylvia's Four Strong Winds. The greatest Canadian folk song ever. Maybe the greatest song about Canada too ).

The Tragically Hip - The Tragically Hip ( This cd is sooo Kingston and small town Canadian - although I'm still offended by Small Twon Bring Down. Not their best album, but perhaps their most Canadian ). Road Apples is a great " Canadian " album too.

Don't forget about BTO and Trooper!

Stompin' Tom wins hands-down for Canadiana. Joni is a good choice, too.

A couple of other candidates:

* Buffy Sainte-Marie

* Stan Rogers

For Toronto references, I can't resist mentioning

* The Shuffle Demons--"Spadina Bus"

* The Pukka Orchestra--"Cherry Beach Express"

Archived