Jambands.ca

5 songs to download? Share!

PhishyK

hey all...

Would y'all please share with me 5 songs to download that I might not expect to like otherwise? I want to broaden my horizons! Let's try to escape beyond the traditional 'jam-scene'

Here's mine:

• Everyday by Dave Matthews Band
  • Time Stand Still by RUSH
  • Going Under by Evanescence
  • He Wasn't by Avril Lavigne
  • The Hump by Patrice Rushen

Check em out, yo! ::

are you guys serious??? Avril Lavieenelege, Our Lady Pukes, Lisa Lobe?!?!?!

I think I'm on the wrong site!!!

why don't all of you download 5 Drive-By Trucker's songs and experience some real Rock and FUCKIN' ROLL!!!! Check your pop music at the American Idol shaped door

New Rider - I think you missed the whole point of this thread.... read again, my friend:

please share with me 5 songs to download that I might not expect to like otherwise? I want to broaden my horizons! Let's try to escape beyond the traditional 'jam-scene'

Oh man Shain I don't even want to touch your list- I know this isn't a competition but as someone who lived in the maritimes and was forced to listen to that Great Big Sea shite I don't know what to say it's painful.

I will forewarn that my list might look like an attempt to be a smarty pants or whatever but I'm just pulling the songs I feel have deeply affected me off the top of my head. I listen to a lot of singles and explore a lot of different types of music so this should be interesting.

1. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

This is the title of their first album (I believe) and one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard but all of their stuff is. I can see why Les Claypool said seeing them actually affected his whole concept of creating music and playing live.

2. Wilco - Jesus Etc.

This is just an unbelievably beautiful and sad and honest and just plain stupendous song. I find myself singing it all the time. 'Tall buildings shake voices escape singing sad sad songs'. A great moment happened at Lowell Binstock's house after Mike Fillipowitch and Scotty Farmer's show at the Rivoli with Contact- we were all singing songs and messing around and a bunch of us ended up singing this song which surprised me sort of that in this case Lowell, myself and Hundermug knew it.

3. Latyrx (Lateef and Lyrics Born)

This is a little bit hectic for those uninitiated to hip hop or fast paced lyrics but would be great on a funky faster paced mix. It's basically a calling out song that sounds like it's talking about a gig in San Fran, going across the bridge 'rollin' in the brown jetta' playing at a venue and being challenged by the local hot shot- unbelievable breath control, flow, DJ Shadow production, just sick sick sick. 'I bet you thought your sexy ass was gonna make some dough on the strength of them promo pictures'. Priceless.

4. These Troubled Fields - Sarah Harmer

This is originally a Nanci Griffiths song and to be honest I haven't heard that version. I'm thinking of the one off Sarah's 'Songs for Clem' (her dad) that's been followed by 'Songs with Clem'. It basically compares a troubled relationship to a troubled farm in a shattering way. Lately I relate to the content on both levels with my work and home life

5. Feist - Mushaboom

Feist's really come into her own partly through being a part of the Broken Social Scene and just her own growth curve. This new one represents a real development for her (oh the album's called Let It Die) but is a touch uneven. That said the title track and really the bulk of it including Mushaboom are real life affirming take no shit sentiments. Mushaboom is a place in Nova Scotia where she imagines settling in with a man who's in it for the long haul, bundling up the kids in their snow clothes and basically to quote another song 'grow old and do some shit'.

i was listening to some sigur ros the other day kung - very pretty. I was explaining to someone that it's the kind of music you'd hear at the end of a movie when everything's coming together and people are feelin' better. A song called "Samskeyti" is my personal favorite - there isn't any singing in it, i really don't like that damn singing... it's so flat and blaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Guest Low Roller

My Morning Jacket- O is the one that is real

HUM- Stars

Catherine Wheel- Black Metallic

Gotan Project- época

Yonderboi- Milongo Del Mar

That'll do for now.....

Guest Low Roller

That's the one.... It was hard to recommend only one Catherine Wheel song since I think they are all awesome, but this was the one that got them noticed ala Radiohead's Creep.

The Gourds - Cracklins

David Bromberg - Sally Goodin'>Old Joe Clark>Wheelhoss

Daniel Lanois - The Maker/River Rise

Tim Hardin - Black Sheep Boy

Rose Verhoeven - White Freightliner

tough ones to download i'm sure.

how bout,

cliffs of dover

99 red balloons

enter sandman

tom's diner

been caught stealing

Guest Low Roller
between 1996 and 1998 I must have seen over 12 Catherine Wheel shows.. did promo work for those guys as well. They are incredible band with a VERY hard core fan base...

Good choice dude...

my personal favorite was The Nude!!!

Holy FACK!!!! Congratulations, you just blew my mind. I only saw these guys twice, and the show I saw in Montreal in 1997 is still one of my favorite shows of all time. One of my favorite concert t-shirts is from that show "Eat My Dust You Insensitive Fuck". Do you know if these guys are still around? Their latest album Wishville was ok, but I'm worried that the band peaked with earlier recordings such as Chrome and Happy Days.

376x180.jpg

Honestly I beleive they're done... the last time I saw them on the "wishville" tour they didn't even have their regular manger with them... If I ever get a hold of a scanner I'll post a bunch of pics of me with the band in Toronto, London, Kitchener ect...

I doubt they'll EVER write another song like Fripp again.

Do you know they'll NEVER play "Show Me Mary" live because it was written about Neil (the drummer's) wife who died in the mid-90's. I loved that song so much but we did succesfully make them bring back Fripp into rotation in '97 in Kitchener....aahhh good times!