Jambands.ca

Cavern (the song)

Velvet

So, at SPAC I realised that the Picture Of Nectar song is actually called Cavern (I'm not too good at song titles), and it instantly occured to me why they called the song that.

The song is a tribute to Nectars, the bar where they started out, right? And the Beatles started out at the Cavern Club, right? So, Nectars is kinda like Phish's Cavern, right?

Agree or disagree?

Maybe...

The lyrics are pretty obscure, though - I'm not sure that the entire song is a tribute to the bar. I think I remember reading somewhere that they included the line "A picture of Nectar" in the song just because it rhymed, and they could pay tribute to Nectar's that way.

Well, the album is the actual tribute to Nectar Rorris (I believe?), the owner of Nectar's in Burlington... Inside the album there are notes realting the story (Best fries this side of France...). I believe the title of the song comes from the lyric:

"The foggy cavern's musty grime, appeared within my palm"

Good logic velvet, but a bit of a stretch if you ask me...

I'm thinking they called the song Cavern because it's in the lyrics of the song:

"The foggy cavern's musty grime appeared within my palm I snatched Rick's fork to scrape it off with deadly icy calm"

but I like what your thinking too. I can't see Phish comparing themselves to the Beatles though.

So, at SPAC I realised that the Picture Of Nectar song is actually called Cavern (I'm not too good at song titles), and it instantly occured to me why they called the song that.

Ditto for me. Just listened to it actually, seems like Trey was having a little trouble with the lyrics! :)