Jambands.ca

Computer help needed - *solved*

Esau

Ok,right now I'm posting from a P1 on regular phoneline (very very slow) my problem is this,any help on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a windows 98 disc here either.

I had downloaded a program that was to boost my internet speed and once I had it installed,it wasn't working right,appeared to have a corrupt file in it.

Anyway,I uninstall the program and the crap it placed on my system with adware 6,did a norton system doctor test,said I had a lost cluster so I fixed it (but didn't make a back up),then rebooted my computer,during the loadinng after the reboot an error messege pops up stating "no language support detected".

Now,when I try to connect to the internet my computer hangs there for awhile then I get a "connect detect server" (404 messege I think),I tried a few things but nothing seems to clean up or fix this.

Anybody know what I've done or can do to fix this?

Thanks

Yeah,I thought that too,but it wasn't.Everything seems fine except I cannot connect,and the error keeps appearing,I haven't the slightest idea what it could be,went nover everything at least three times.My firewall is properly configured,I even turned it off for a try or two just to see if that was the problem.

Thinking I may have to try installing win98 again.

Not sure what else to do,sadly I have a full HD of music and programs (ones I also have no disc for) and am worried if I do that I may lose everything on my drives.Can't even download a bootleg version on this computer as it only has a 1.5G drive (96RAM) and most of it is used up anyway.

:frustrated:

Thanks CH,good to know and yeah,unfortunatley I don't have the win 98 disc,even asked my neighbour she doesn't either.

If you have the cab files on your hard drive, try uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP

Sorta lost me there Booche,sorta familiar with the TCP/IP but I don't think I know anything about the cab files.

Where would I find em?

guess you could also see if Secondtube or \/\/illy (the local computer tech guys) have a copy of Win98 kicking around

one possibly tricky thing with that is I think there were several releases of Win98 (Win98A - Win98E or something like that) so you'd probably want to see if you can figure out which of those you installed previously

have you tried opening in safe mode or DOS to see if you can do anything from there?

also I guess what was the name of the software you installed as well to see if there is anything on the newsgroups or the tech discussion boards about it?

Thanks all.

I'm back to the P2 highspeed world again (a bit faster...lol).I decided to hit up a tech support site for some help since I tried the suggested options and was not succesful.Turns out it was pretty basic to fix actually & the thought had crossed my mind (briefly) but I could remember how to do it or if my computer even could do it.

Just had to get into SCANREG directory in DOS (I figure) and I was directed to an index where I had to option to RESTORE a earlier back up of my registry which was from this morning before the problem.

These were the instructions I was given,although my computer (Compac) worked a bit different I still ended at the same result.

"Hello; do a "Registry Restore" here are the instructions.

Just follow these steps:

1. Completely shut down your computer, wait 30 - 60 seconds, then turn it back on.

2. As soon as you turn it back on, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until the black screen appears.

3. Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only", then press the Enter key.

4. At the A:\> prompt, type in C: (including the colon), then press the Enter key.

5. At the C:\> prompt, type in SCANREG /RESTORE(make sure there is a space between the G and /), then press the Enter key. The system files will be checked.

6. When the list of backup registry copies appears, use the arrow keys to select a registry copy with a date prior to when the problem occurred, then press the Enter key. The system files will be backed up and restored.

(Note: Do not use the oldest registry copy in the list because the restore process will probably fail)

6. When you are advised that the registry has being replaced with a good copy and has to restart, use the arrow keys to select Restart, then press the Enter key.

7. If all goes well, Windows will load and the problem will be solved."

Forunatley,since I did have to enter in SAFE MODE awhile back I have my computer set to start at a black and white option screen (waits 30 seconds before loading windows) which gives me 5 options to choose from:

1.Load windows (somthing like that)

2.Safe mode

3.command propmt only

etc etc

I actually forget the other choices but you get the idea.

So,all I had to do was select command propmt only and the SCANREG.

Thanks again for the ideas folks and thanks to Pascalis at the Tech Support Guy website.Saved me a big ol' bump on the forehead that would have risen soon from me banging my head on my desk.

Cheers