Jambands.ca

Marlon Brando dead

hamilton

From The Star:

LOS ANGELES - Marlon Brando, who revolutionized American acting with his Method performances in Streetcar Named Desire and On the Waterfront and went on to create the iconic characterization of Don Vito Corleone in The Godfather, has died. He was 80.

Brando died at an undisclosed Los Angeles hospital yesterday, lawyer David J. Seeley said today. The cause of death was being withheld, Seeley said, noting the actor "was a very private man."

Brando, whose unpredictable behaviour made him equally fascinating off the screen, was acclaimed the greatest actor of his generation, a two-time winner of the Academy Award who influenced some of the best actors of the generation that followed, among them Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson.

He was the unforgettable embodiment of the brutish Stanley Kowalski of A Streetcar Named Desire, the mixed up Terry Malloy of On the Waterfront (which won him his first Oscar) and the wily Corleone of The Godfather.

But his private life may best be defined by a line from The Wild One, in which Brando, playing a motorcycle gang leader, is asked what he's rebelling against.

"Whattaya got?" was his famous reply.

His image was a studio's nightmare. Millions of words were written about his weight, his many romances and three marriages, his tireless - and, for some, tiresome - support of the American Indian and other causes, his battles with film producers and directors, his refuge on a Tahitian isle.

His most famous act of rebellion was his refusal in 1973 to accept the best actor Oscar for The Godfather. Instead, he sent a woman who called herself Sasheen Littlefeather to read a diatribe about Hollywood's treatment of Native Americans.

It was roundly booed.

Brando's private life turned tragic years later with his son's conviction for killing the boyfriend of his half sister, Cheyenne Brando, in 1990. Five years later, Cheyenne committed suicide, still depressed over the killing.

Still, the undying spotlight never made him conform.

"I am myself," he once declared, "and if I have to hit my head against a brick wall to remain true to myself, I will do it."

brando02.jpg

May Marlon Brando rest in peace. One of my all time favorite actors. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now and Superman are three of my favorite movies ever.

I interestingly enough just watched The Godfather a couple of nights ago and last night when I got home I put on The Godfather Part II.

I think I'll now put on Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" and listen to "Pocahontas."

And maybe Marlon Brando

Will be there by the firre

We'll sit and talk of Hollywood

And the good things there for hire

And the Astrodome and the first tepee

Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me

Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me

Pocahontas

Not that this is a funny occasion but the funny part about Sasheen Littlefeather is that she turned out not to be native at all and was basically just another white person in face paint taking away a 'role' from an actual native.

Sad news.

"Apocalypse Now" definatley my favourite,but a close second for me is "Morituri" which in my opinion is another great Brando work.

Side Note:

I just watched a version of Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" again the other night.Tim Roth as Marlow & John Malkovich as Kurtz,awesome flick too.

I was sad to hear of his death, but not surprised. His health was on the self-induced decline since the late 60's.

He is one of my favourite actors. Some of my favourite Brando movies are:

Viva Zapata! ( 1952 ) - Brando's third film, starring as the revolutionary Mexican leader. Directed by Elia Kazan.

Julius Caesar ( 1953 ) - Brando plays Marc Antony. James Mason is Brutus. John Geilgud as Cassius. The list goes on, but Brando is unbelievable.

The Wild One ( 1954 ) - One of the earliest rebel films. Lisa Simpson paid homage to the film with this line: "What are you rebelling against?" asks her teacher. "What've you got?" Lee Marvin is great in a small role too.

On The Waterfront ( 1954 ) - See this film!

The Godfather ( 1972 ) - Brilliant.

Apocolypse Now ( 1979 ) - One of my favourite movies ever.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen these films. I will remedy this soon: The Young Lions, A Steetcar Named Desire, One-Eyed Jacks, Sayonara.