Jambands.ca

Suicide Girls Live Burlesque Show

PhishyK

So, I arrived to this show at 10:20, but it was already sold out. Lame! But a few of my close friends made it in and had a truly incredible time. For those who don't know: www.suicidegirls.com/live.

Anyways! Here in Victoria, where we have a healthy punky/goth community, strangely, the audience last night was mostly hippies. Imagine that! Hippies gone to watch gothic punk burlesque.

I think there's an opportunity for social interpretation here. Hippy guys exploring their suppressed urge for darkness? Acknowledging the dark side of their sexuality which is frowned upon by the larger hippy community?

I've recently been transitioning away from hippydom because I just can't be one anymore. So I find this extremely interesting! Anyone have an opinion on this?

-K

Imagine that! Hippies gone to watch gothic punk burlesque.

I think there's an opportunity for social interpretation here. Hippy guys exploring their suppressed urge for darkness?

I've always found certain goth girls to be hot... I know I'm not alone here...

I must say...burlesque shows are incredibly fun, and when it's filled with hot gothy girls then it sure opens up to a lack of inhibition and free sexuality.

I just hope there was a show as well as a show.

I saw a sort of cabaret burlesque show and they had a band. it was cool. made me appreciate the role of a backing musician even more.

YOW!

I want to know what the definition of hippy really is.. is it a way of life? or a way of dress? or both? cuz I'm convinced you can be a hippy but look like a wall street shark.. but maybe I'm confused.. cuz I also think punk is an artistic movement and an approach to music making as supposed to a sound popularized by The Sex Pistols

As far as I can see, hippies are uncomfortable expressing darkness, wearing dark colors, swearing, carrying on like an idiot, and being real with their sexuality.

-devil's advocate

We've obviously never met.I wear nothing but black,I'm a very dark person most of the time,covered in demonic style tattoos (60 of them head to toe,alot of skulls),I swear like a fuckin freak and am completely "real" about everything not just my sexuality.

I actually fit in when it comes to appearance more in the goth scene then this scene. ::

I do however,leave the "carrying on like an idiot" for the "idiots".

As do most people I know.We do love to have a helluva time and alot of fun.

I want to know what the definition of hippy really is.. is it a way of life? or a way of dress? or both?

Its exactly what it was in the 60's:

A media generated label or a "cool" thing to be for those looking to be "cool".Plain & simple.

Not sure what was impressive about it,nor why it would be the end of the thread,I was rather interested in this thread,as well I know of the band it was about,but it seemed this thread was more about a media label then the band.....

You did ask for opinions right?

'Punk' girls are great.

From my experience they're very open & artistic and tend to be confident & intelligent original thinkers... not sheep or followers like the general 'mainstream' population.

I find the same endearing characteristics with 'hippie' girls

This all has a lot of particular 'tags' referring to what people 'are'. 'hippie'... 'punk'... 'goth'... whatever.

Ths Suicide Girls put on a great show... they genuinely appear to be having lots of fun and the crowd tend to really enjoy themselves. My ex (a 'punk' girl) introduced me to the group when they were just getting themselves together a little while back as she happened to be 'in the know'.

I'm not at all surprised that 'hippie' guys and 'punk' girls... or vice-versa for that matter... get on so well as both groups of people tend to shy away from the influence and trends of the mainstream... in music, art, political views, erotica and most other subjects too.

The SG show is here in Vancouver tomorrow night at Mesa Luna and I plan to go check it out, have a few wobbly pops, meet lots of interesting people and have a good time.

If you're into Betty Page, pin-up culture, the artistic preference of burlesque over peeler bars, tattoos, piercings and individuality... then you'd probably have a good time at the show while not feeling the need to psychoanalyze the whole 'punk/hippie' connection... or whatever you might take out of the experience.

Keep things simple and you'll probably enjoy it for what it is... a night of fun for peoples of all backgrounds and walks of life that enjoy the old fashioned "Art of the Tease".

Good times!