Jambands.ca

Riddle of the day: Camel and Bananas

Phred

A camel is sitting down by a pile of bananas. 3,000 bananas to be exact. He's gotta get as many across the desert that he can, and the desert is 1,000 miles wide. The camel can only carry 1,000 bananas at a time, and he must also eat one for every mile that he walks, in either direction. If he has no bananas with him, he does no walking.

So what is the max number of bananas he can get to the other side, and how does he do it?

500 bananas

see, he carries 1000 bananas 250 miles, 3 times... the first two times eating 500 each, and the third trip eating only 250. this puts the camel 250 miles into the desert with 1750 bananas left. he then takes these, in two trips, an additional 250 miles.. leaving him with 1000 bananas, and 500 miles left to walk. he eats half the remaining bananas crossing the remaining desert... now there may be a way to maximize the bananas, but 500 is good for a round numbered camel.

well now, are you allowed to drop off loads of bananas in the middle of the desert to pick up later, or do you have to keep going right back to the start for a banana reload? if you have to go back to the start it just doesn't work, dammnit! these pesky bananas and camels are going to make my head explode! grrrrarh!

so why don't i just hijack this thread instead. anyone want a creepy new avatar?

stormtroop.gif

heeheeeheee!

ahem, sorry, phred. now back to the camels & bananas, people!

Do camels even eat bananas?

Yes.

Question:

What do Camels eat?

Answer:

Camels are primarily grazers. Most of the food which they eat at my farm consists of grass and hay. I also feed them a supplement of grain which has addition protein, vitamins and minerals in it. In addition, camels love carrots, apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, and many other crunchy vegetables and fruits. They also browse and nibble the tree leaves of just about any tree in their environment. When I look across into their pasture, I can see all of the trees trimmed up high, as far as the camels can reach.

(The above was found by asking Google a question.)

Aloha,

Brad

QQC said: "so... youre saying my camel wasted 200 bananas? i agree.

he could have had 700 bananas left on the west siiiiide! "

Not 200 bananas- but about 33.333.

You need to break the problem into three stages. where he carries 3000, bananas, 2000 bananas and 1000 bananas.

As QQC pointed out, it takes him 5 trips to bring all 3000 bananas anywhere. So while he has 3000 bananas, each KM costs 5 bananas. So you want to get 2000 bananas as far as you can. So how far can he go on 1000 bananas of fuel? 1000/5 = 200 KM.

so if he bring the first bunch (1000) 200 KM, he can drop 600, go back for the next bunch, drop 600 and go back. Now he has 1200. He can go back and get the last bunch and bring 800 of them. 2000 at 200KM.

With 2000 bananas, each KM will only cost him 3 bananas. Now, since he needs to carry 2000 and get rid of 1000, and each km takes 3 bananas, he can go 1000/3 = 333.3333 km.

When he gets there he has 1000 bananas left and he can simply walk the rest of the way.

ending up with 533.3333 bananas.

I saw this question on another forum and didn't verify it anywhere, but I believe that I am correct. I can't see how you could get more across...