Jambands.ca

Bayou - Jamworks Open Jam This Thursday..Anyone?

Pootie Tang

Yeah, thanks all for coming down, that was a blast! It seemed to get better as the night went on, or maybe it was drunker as the night went on...either way there were some stellar moments last night. The BradM tapes will tell the tale, and hopefully make all those other Ottawa folks regret that they didn't stop in to check it out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good time last night despite a serious case of sleep deprivation. Nice to meet some of you (LR I still have no clue who you are) and to get up and play with you. If there was anything that last night underscored for me it is this:

Lead Horns.

I don't know if Amy (the sit-down Jazz guitarist) comes on here or not but I thought her playing was excellent.

Will this open jam happen again in the future?

Good times for sure. Good to see everyone who took the time to come out - Pootie, The Sloth, Velvet, meggo, Douglas, bradm, jonyak, Canned Beats. Nice to meet thatpatguy and larry jr., as well as many others who I forget. We even convinced my other roommate Evan to get up and play for a bit. The mini-Comfort Station jam was cool as well. The Bayou is a cool little bar, it'd be nice to catch a few more shows there. There were definately some good moments on stage, I'd probably come out if this happened again...

Got a little too "tired" sailing yesterday, otherwise would've made it....will there be another??

Hux you sh!t bag, we could have used your talent last night, you missed a good time bro...the horn section was the highlight for me, for a while last night we had it going real smooth, we should take that ensemble on the road.

It was good meeting a few new faces last night as well, Meggo, Pat, and a few others who I don't believe post on the board.

As for another jam, I'll have to confirm but I think next week may be available again for another one...

why thank you, Jon!! you know how to fit in that pocket too. to be honest, I haven't really played all summer and i really needed that. It was the perfect pre moe.down jam. I liked playing for fun with everybody. at times i felt like there was a bit much going on but then i snapped out of it and remembered 'it's a jam...you can't get perfect arranging and profound moments all the time when you don't really know anyone you're playing with musically.

there were a bunch of special moments with everyone though. It should be a regular thing. i especially liked how the tummies shook things up and got everyone on track.

thanks velvet...great that you're doing your thing. we need more people to be doing that.

and to anyone that thought i was playing too much, just tell me to come chill for a minute and hang out with my friends - especially if you're a bass player that wants to play but thinks i might still want to play...it's not my basement, so i'm not entitled to play all the time. just yank me off. there was another bassist there to play when i wasn't...2 when Jonyak was around.

keep it goin' everybody!

I had a lot of fun. I think the highlight for me was The Tummies With Horns (or, as I like to think of it, "The Horns With Tummies" but I digress...). Seeing Aljee step is always a blast, and I hadn't heard/seen Amy play guitar in a while, and she's really good.

Attendance dropped off later in the night...at one point I did a quick count, and there were more people on stage than in the rest of the bar, staff included. All in all, though, I hope they do this again.

Aloha,

Brad

hey all.. I just got back from Quebec City so I didn't have a chance to post before then but it was great meeting those of you who I did meet (bradm, Pootie, Del, Meggo, Douglas) and for those of you who I jammed with but didn't meet, it was great fun for sure..

I would agree that it got smoother as the evening progressed, as people relaxed and got more comfortable with how it was all going to go down.

I might not be able to make it this week (I usually spend Thursday night's playing trad Irish music at Daniel O'Connel's ) but I'd be hip to do it again in a heart beat. Awesome way to start the weekend!

oh.. and if no one is doing anything tonight (Tuesday, Sept 7th) I'll be at The Bayou is the Brian Downey Big Band doing some of that big band/swing stuff, come on by for a pint.. the tunes get started between 8:30 and 9:00 and there's a nice big dance floor for those slick swing dancin moves I know you are all famous for :)