Jambands.ca

A message from Stephen Franke & NFTT

Stoolshed

First off, we’d like to thank everyone we met in our august travels for the great times. We made an unbelievable amount of new friends and got to hang with old friends. The maritimes rocked our world, and now we’ve recovered a little and are heading out on the road again for a few more shows in Ontario and Quebec. We hope to see you because we love to play music and we love to play for people.

In other quick notes, we were nominated for ‘Outstanding Instrumental Recording’ at the Western Canada Music Awards, and had a blast in Calgary doing a showcase there. We’ve decided to start playing more of the upbeat jazz clubs in cities, especially the ones with pianos, so if you know a good room for us, please let us know. Input of all sorts is always appreciated.

Lastly, sorry to anyone who emailed me last week. Our website and database crashed hard, and all correspondence sent to me never arrived. BUT, it’s all back up and running.

Oh yeah, we’re giving away a pair of tickets for our show closest to you, and a CD to the first person to correctly tells us what Madonna song we reference on our album. If you know, email us or post your answer on the forum on our website.

Our october schedule:

Sunday Oct 10th Victoria Legends w/ Antibalas

Thurs Oct 14th Toronto El Mocambo w/ The Slip

Friday Oct 15th Hamilton Pepper Jack’s w/ The Slip

Saturday Oct 16th Sudbury Townhouse Tavern

Sunday Oct 17th Toronto The Rex Jazz Club (194 Queen st W) Afternoon show: 3.30-6pm, doors at 3, www.tojazzseries.com.

Wednesday Oct 20th Hamilton Pepperjack’s

Thursday Oct 21st Guelph Jimmy Jazz

Friday Oct 22nd Kingston The Grad Club w/ Dan Curtis & the Knees (from Luther Wright & the Wrongs)

Saturday Oct 23rd Ottawa Café Dekcuf w/ Chonga & The Crowd

Sunday Oct 24th Montreal Quai des Brumes (4481 St. Denis) show from 9-12

Saturday Oct 30th Vancouver The Fairview Pub w/ Slammin Jack

See you on the road…

Ciao, Stephen

www.stephenfranke.ca

hear here...now i won't feel quite so bad about missing the slip...as much as SF&NFtT are a new band that are impressing audiences across the country, I'd have wanted more slip. Looks like I'll be able to save some more dough for moe..

best of Luck, Stephen! you guys had better have the times of your lives (and i'm not avoiding the slip shows cause of you...i'm already planning on missing them)

There's no rhyme or reason as to when they play one long set and long encores or two sets. Typically though if they have an opener they opt for the one long set. I really prefer the set break though and they are somewhat ambiguous. Penguin boy should go to bat explicitly for the two sets as the promoter if that's what we are wanting which of course it is.

Thanks for taking that one in stride Shane. Seriously though based on the last couple days setlists (10/10 and 10/11) they are off the hook right now. They seriously never go that far into the back catalogue and they dusted off some total rarities like Phase One, Highlands and Joe Higley! Which leaves the Melon, Ernie Mickey and You Might Say for us. Bwahahahaha.

I couldn't possibly dissappointed with one set if it was anything remotely similar to the Montreal show in May.

It's nice to get a break and collect your thoughts and all, but christ, their music is so important and incredible that time stands still for a while.

2 sets can easily split up the magic that comes out of one long marathon set.

Too bad you aren't coming shane. It would have been good to see you and your massive balls ;)

I remember downloading the MP3s on Franke's site, and liking them a lot, so I'm looking forward to his/their two opening slots for The Slip on Thursday and Friday.

And I'll note that I found their record in Sam's on Yonge St. yesterday - in the "New Releases" rack in the jazz section. (I don't know know whether that warrrants a :) or not, but it at least lets us say we're seeing a jazz band this week...)

Aloha,

Brad

At Sam's on Yonge St eh? How much were they charging for the CD? I can tell you that as an independent label/distributor going up against all the major label bastards, I'm glad Sam's stocking it. Curious how much though...Most people have to order it in, and then it's like 16-18 bucks or something.

Anyways, see y'all tomorrow. Remember: Martin Tielli's an alien, the good kind. Randy Bachman's an alien, the bad kind. I can tell, although I'm sure they both smell bad, but I'm one to talk.