Jambands.ca

Recomend a scary movie for Halloween

zimmerman pt3

So last night I went to my local independent video shop and brought home to my unsuspecting roommates a 1978 classic horror flick aptly titled, "Blood Sucking Freaks". Here's a brief synopsis:

In this "comic" bloodbath, a ballet star is kidnapped by the director of a New York sado-masochistic theater. The demented stage manager then proceeds to commit a series of horribly gruesome acts. Not for the squeamish, obviously, even among hardened cult cinema buffs.

Has anyone seen this? It has to be, by far, one of the craziest, revolting and astonishing fu©ked up movies I've ever seen.

This movie is so scary on several levels; the fact it was conceived, acted out by humans, and actually distributed to the public is frightening!! Let's just say, movies like this totally fueled the Women's Lib movement in the late 70s.

Any other scary movies come to mind?

The two movies that have scared the hell out of me over my life:

"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1970s version, in which Jerry Garcia actually does a short, little banjo tune - I believe it was GDTRFB, but can't remember for sure)

and

Children of the Corn.

Geez, I'm scared right now just writing this!

dude.... "The Grudge" is INSAAAANE.

I just about peed myself. Seriously, there was moments when my whole body broke into goosebumps. It's really good. And it's filmed in Japan too, which I find cool.

TOSHIO will scare your pants right off. If you take your girlfriend, she will likely cling to you for 24 to 48 hours. :D

Oh come on, how scary can a horror movie rated PG be, folks?

Scary, huh? 1978's Dawn of the Dead severely freaked me out. It's actually pretty campy, but I have a thing for apocalyptic zombie films that just really spooks me out. The re-make isn't bad either. But its different.

In that same vein, you might enjoy 28 Days later. You might not though.

I found the first Evil Dead rather spooky. Not all over the place frightening, but, y'know... a scene here and there are rather jarring. Interestingly enough, it was directed by Sam Raimi, who also Directed the Grudge...

Personally, though, I'm not a fan of the typical teen-slasher genre, so... I stay away from those.

I can't stand most new movies, No heart, creativity, imagination, or story. Cookie cutter charecters, and not in a satire or toung-in-cheek kind of way. CRAP! Most just peices of sh!t thought up as quickly as possible for as littile as possible with the sole intent of a Quick grab. Marketed with crafty, "make you want to see it but when you do, realize how you were scamed out of your bread" type commercials. Its terrible whats happining with modern day moviemaking. Too many Big Name companys putting out WAY TO MANY crapy money-grab flics. The good ones, then get drowned in the sea of sh!t. But I guess Its the Times. All the teenie bopers TV addicts have so much mony that seeing a movie is a twice a week ordeal,its the new culture. They don't care if the movie is sh!t, they go see it anyways ::!! Movie makers know this, so most are now a bunch of slakers putting out vissual diearea.jmtc.... Sorry about the rant. That being sead there ARE a FEW good "New" flics out there......................... If you are going to see ONE movie in theaters this halloween please make it.............SHaUN Of tHe DEaD...>!!!! It is the best "New" flic I'v seen in a long time. Its a Horror,comidy,lovestory,Drama, and man is it HEAVY. Made by the guy who did 4 wddings and a Funeral? It Is Unbelievably well written and It gets thick. This Movie doesn't stop, pure geniuse. A must see.

Also, the "Texas chainsaw" and "Dawn o the Dead" remakes are my #1 "New" horror movies this Halloween. they stick a mood and are true Horror ::. To whome it may concern: Dawn of the Dead comes out on video tomorrow, just in time ;) Ok,ok, I know Im rambling here but I got another 2 and Im out..... I know "BuBaHotep" has been enjoyed by a few boardmembers, because its on the SkanK that I heard about it.Its grity and I like it :o..........Now last but DEFINATLY NOT least "House of 1000 corpses" ::.... This Movie is a FREAKFEST!!!!, #1, not to be missed this season. It evan takes place during holloween :D. Some crazy sh!t in this one dude. But don't take my word for it ::.

Uh.... Not that I really wanna unleash a lot of my Film Student flavour loose here, but... if you're complaining about lack of character development, why in the world would you recommend the new Texas Chainsaw?

I'll admit that it was neat when I first saw it... but its one of those movies you walk away from and figure out a bazillion problems with.

For example: Why do they kill?

It's never explained in the new film. It's just random weirdness. They're supposed to be cannibals... but... we never get that in the new movies. It just makes them seem like weird, evil texans.

Shaun of the Dead was all right, but its kinda lost between horror and comedy. Somewhere in there, somebody REALLY respects George A. Romero, and there was great, subtle homages to the original Dawn of the Dead through-out. But then they'd throw in humour... which at times was great, but at others... completely out of place and took away from the depth of fright they had. Still worth seeing though.

Uh.....yea. Its a halloween thread and thats a good Halloween movie. I found, for maximum scare impact they purposly left most of that crazy cult sh!t out( from the first one, like the dinner scene and so-on) so that you wouldnt be so interested in the "family life" but be more concerned for "main" charecters and there situation, thus making it more scary. Fans of the original already know about the insanity and nature of "why they Kill". I thought the evilcharacter development was bang-on. The Kid, the old man in the wheelchair, The Fat lady, the cop, it all added up to some pritty crazy fu©ked up vibes that perfectly displayed the characters in a scary appoling manner instead of a interesting or amusing one. This movie was to ment be be viewed through the eyes of the victims. I think they pulled it off, perfectly.

How about a horror-comedy night? Here's a few of my favs:

The Evil Dead Trilogy

Bubba Ho-Tep

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - one of my favourite movies of all time

Young Frankenstein

The Re-Animator - a great cult horror movie

American Werewolf In London - has funny moments

For some real frights, try Guillermo Del Toro's Spanish classic The Devil's Backbone ( 2001 ). It's a ghost story with a heart and soul.

Also try Donnie Darko. It isn't a horror movie, but it's creepy and surreal, and one of my favourite movies ever.

You can't go wrong with the original Basil Rathbone version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles. Frankenstein, Bride and Son of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, The Invisible Man and Boris Karloff in The Mummy all rule.