Jambands.ca

PP ot D

Patchoulia

Look--a new and exciting recurring thread--Pet Peeve of the Day!

I'll start:

Dear Chapters,

I was in one of your stores recently and happened to glance at the alphabetized listing of your various departments when I noticed that something was awry...

Pray tell, are you actually selling "stationary"? If so, how much do you charge for the opportunity to stand/sit perfectly still?

Next question: Where do you keep the dictionaries? If a store that sells books and, presumably, a volume or two on spelling/grammar (including those pesky homonyms) cannot get their signs right, what hope is there for the rest of the english-speaking/-reading/-writing people of the world?

Forsooth I do despair,

Julia

P.S. Also, Dear Chapters, did you know that one of your exemplary employees enjoys bag-sniffing on the weekends? It's true--his name is POG and he sniffs bags.

I was recently listening to CBC, and someone phoned in to complain about people who walk up escalators, because "escalators are for standing; if you wanna walk, take the stairs". Then, of course, a whole bunch of people called in to complain about people who only stand on escalators, but refuse to move to the right-hand side.

Now, I'm a pretty lazy guy and perfectly capable of remaining motionless for extended periods of time, but I still agree with the second group, and find people who stand and block escalators to be infringing on other people, and basically a real "pet peeve".

Anyone agree? Anyone get annoyed by people who walk up escalators, instead?

I was recently listening to CBC, and someone phoned in to complain about people who walk up escalators, because "escalators are for standing; if you wanna walk, take the stairs". Then, of course, a whole bunch of people called in to complain about people who only stand on escalators, but refuse to move to the right-hand side.

Now, I'm a pretty lazy guy and perfectly capable of remaining motionless for extended periods of time, but I still agree with the second group, and find people who stand and block escalators to be infringing on other people, and basically a real "pet peeve".

Anyone agree? Anyone get annoyed by people who walk up escalators, instead?

I’m too impatient to stand still on escalators. I always thought they were to benefit people who were in a hurry, not the ones who were just lazy. Kinda like those moving runway thingies at the airport… aren’t they for people who are late? You can walk on them and get to your destination WAY faster. Or are you suppose stand on those too???

If escalators were made exclusively for walking or exclusively for standing, they would not have signs on them that say, quite clearly, "WALK LEFT, STAND RIGHT"--a wonderful compromise for all to enjoy the wonder that is an escalator--whether your individual preference is to walk, or to stand.

If escalators were made exclusively for walking or exclusively for standing, they would not have signs on them that say, quite clearly, "WALK LEFT, STAND RIGHT"--a wonderful compromise for all to enjoy the wonder that is an escalator--whether your individual preference is to walk, or to stand.

Woo hoo! I knew that I was not alone in thinking people are nuts for getting annoyed at people who walk on escalators. I just had to check to be sure. (I couldn't believe that caller on CBC!)

Hmmmm, I can see there being some danger in getting alligator and escalator mixed up. I mean, I don't recommend walking OR standing on an alligator. I think there are other words in our language, though, that are just crying out for a bad incident to happen. For instance: Do we really need to have both words "flammable" and "inflammable"? (Boy, did I learn what that second word means the hard way.... ::)

From a post in a topic ("How to get a life") in the "sci.physics" newsgroup:

9 Things I Hate About Everyone

1. People who point at their wrist while asking for the time.... I know where my watch is pal, where the heck is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their butt to search the entire room for the tv remote because they refuse to walk to the tv and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". You're right! What good is a cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the heck would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film "did you see that?". No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor.

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?".... Didn't really give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

7. When something is 'new and improved!'. Which is it? If it's new, then there has never been anything before it. If it's an improvement, then there must have been something before it.

8. When people say "life is short". Life is the longest thing anyone ever does!! What can you do that's longer?

9. When you are waiting for the bus and someone ! asks "Has the bus come yet?". If the bus came would I be standing here?

Aloha,

Brad