Jambands.ca

A question for the touring folk...

TheGoodRev

I figure there must be a few people on here that have followed a tour here or there...I have a hostel-related question.

I'm trying to get to NYC for the Mule at the Beacon Dec 30 and 31. I've found some nice looking hostels online, but every single one of them seems to be booked solid on new year's eve. Is there something else I can try? Trying not to pay through the nose, but I'm going with my girlfriend so we want a private room, not dorm-style like many European hostels. A site I can hit? Number I can call? Anybody have a friend with a spare room in NYC? :D I'd appreciate any insight that anybody might have.

WELL your snide replies aside, gentlemen :D things for the trip are shaping up nicely! It all hinges of course on one very tedious factor; that is, my roomate has a cousin who lives in Manhattan who will be up here for Christmas and New Years; a fortiori her apartment will be vacant. A little bit of sweet talkin', a little bit of liquor purchasin', we should be in there. Found a cheap flight on Westjet, but get this. The flights I found were $69 there, $129 back, so basically $200 CAD return. Not too bad considering the season. Problem was, after tax and charges and all that sh!t, the total was more like $350. We're going to take the train for $180 return each instead. Mule shows are EXPENSIVE but I guess that's what you get for the New Years doubleheader. Three sets on NYE apparently, and there are still decent seats left. Well I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

Hey, if it doesn't work out, there's always the Fat Cats at PJC...

Mule on NYE...man I'm jealous!! :P

Last time I flew down to NYC for the One For Woody show 09/00, we flew JetBlue (jetblueairways.com) out of Buffalo for US$47 each way, plus about $10 tax into JFK, then took the $10 bus into the Port Authority. Took the first flight out the following morning, so spent nothing on accommodation, but friends were staying at the Carter Hotel right by Times Square, and told us that the rate is always US$90. It was a bit shabby, but hey, what do you want for central Manhattan (just take a mattress cover). Jet Blue's flights do continue to increase in price until they're sold out, so it's likely there's nothing left anyway.

But, another time, when seeing the Disco Biscuit's apparently final show at the Wetlands, we stayed at a hostel just the other side of I think the Holland Tunnel in Jersey for a very reasonable rate, and we had a private clean room. Don't remember the number or how we found it, but perhaps if the cousin's place doesn't work out, you can find it online...or book it and cancel later just to be on the safe side.

Another time, Jerry Band show, MSG 1991, we stayed at the Southgate Towers in Manhattan kittycorner from MSG. Gorgeous place, and it only cost US$89 with my CAA discount...but that was 1991, so I bet the price has gone up. It's possible, if you look hard, you may find a bargain on hotels.com or something.

Another time, Jerry Band show, MSG 1991, we stayed at the Southgate Towers in Manhattan kittycorner from MSG. Gorgeous place, and it only cost US$89 with my CAA discount...but that was 1991, so I bet the price has gone up.

actually, when i was there last halloween for panic, the price was around the same. we asked for an upgrade, and they gave us the penthouse. no additional cost. granted, the penthouse looked just like it did in 1974, but hey there was plenty o' party space.

off soho suites hotel $89 for a suite. www.offsoho.com i'm staying there this weekend. it's half a block from the bowery ballroom.

Ramada Limited Jersey City

65 Tonnelle Ave., Jersey City, NJ 07306, US

Phone: 201-432-6100 * Fax: 201-938-1907

in jersey city the ramada is 1 block from the path train. 5 Min train ride to 42nd st.

also it's right in the hart of little india. lots of good food, seems safe and we were the only none east indian people walking down the street

if your in NYC on the 1st come to BB Kings on 42nd st. there is a cool show happening with jamie shields, mark brownstien and joe rousso. PM me if you want guest list. i can put you +++ for the show no problem.

Ahhhh Mule At the Beacon on New Years. You are in for a hell of a treat my good Rev . We did a night of it back in 2002 the night before Phish's return. Best venue in New York by far...Just make sure when you leave at the end you take the fire escape, it's one of a kind!

Check out the guest list

Opener: Particle

1st Set: If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day (1), Game Face (1), No Need To Suffer (1), Drivin' Rain (1), Maggot Brain (1)(2)> Doing It To Death (1)(2)> Higher Ground (1)(2), World Of Confusion (3), Same Price (3), 21st Century Schizoid Man (3)

2nd Set: Rocking Horse (4), Fallen Down (4), Sailin' Shoes (4)> Spanish Moon (4)> Cissy Strut (4)> Spanish Moon (4), Hottentot (4)(6), Sco-Mule (5)(6), Fool's Moon (5)(7), Sometimes Salvation (5)(7)

Encore: 30 Days In The Hole (4)(7)

Setlist Notes: (1) Greg Rzab on bass; (2) John Scofield on guitar, Bernie Worrell on keyboards and DJ Logic on turntables, no Danny; (3) Tony Levin on bass; (4) George Porter Jr. on bass; (5) Andy Hess on bass; (6) John Scofield on guitar, Bernie Worrell on keyboards and DJ Logic on turntables; (7) Audley Freed on guitar