Jambands.ca

Tarantula Sat. Night what did everyone think???

Marky

I thought they were a interesting opener for MMW, though I think the venue didn't suit their style. They were too quiet at times and the crowd often over powered their music by talking. If the show took place at Massey Hall or something along those lines they it would have been better for them as a opener.

That being said I enjoyed the different instrumentation in the band using strings and not having a bassist (minus the one song when the guitarist played a bass).

I thought they ranged from good to okay - great musicians though.

They're the type of band where the person to your right calls them "Utter sh!t" and the person to your left calls them "Avant-garde".

One thing I can say about them is that they cleansed my musical palette for MMW.

They were too quiet at times and the crowd often over powered their music by talking.

Wha? Really? I moved twice to get farther from the speaker stack and eventually had to borrow earplugs (for the first time ever!) I am a rocker at heart, having spent many a highschool year givenr to death, speed, glam - whatever metal hurt the most, but this just seemed too diametric for me. I don’t mind the heavy riffs and I don’t mind the quiet melodies; it’s when you juxtapose them so drastically that my ears and mind just can’t take it. The most simple (and shallow) comparison I have to offer is that they sounded a bit like the Golden Dogs might if slipped them some brown acid.

Finally, the old adage “If it’s too loud, you’re too old” is starting to make sense. Uh-oh! ::

yeah... im really curious to hear these guys now... im kinda getting the sense that im in for a real treat.

edit: i just listened to some samples on their website... and WOW!!! i loved it. bring 'em back as soon as you can, i'd love to check 'em out! kinda sounded to me as if domakesaythink, tortoise, the riderless, tom waits, mayo thompson and david grubbs all had sex with MarcO, this is what it would sound like.