Jambands.ca

Dimebag Darrel + 4 others killed onstage

ollie

May you rest in peace "Dimebag" Darrel Abbott, as well as the three other people that were killed.

What a terrible tragedy. Every couple of years now an event happens that should change the way concerts are run. A few years ago with Pearl Jam and those poor people trampled to death (happened before with the Who among others), the biggest tragedy in the history of rock concerts when there was the fire at the Great White concert in Rhode Island killing more people than I can remember including band member Ty Longley, and now this shoting of Dimebag Darrel onstage.

Since Pearl Jam doesn't have GA shows (as neither do a lot of other groups), regulations for pyrotechniques have become more stringent and now after this shoting I believe security checks at concerts will also become more stringent, as they should be. We will all just have to go to a concert a little earlier, but for the safety of us and the artists on the stage it is worth it.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. December 09, 2004, 9:30 AM ET

Update: Damageplan Guitarist Killed In Shooting

A gunman charged onstage at a packed Columbus, Ohio, nightclub at the beginning of a Damageplan concert last night (Dec. 8) and opened fire on the band and the crowd, killing guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

A Columbus police department spokesperson identified three of the victims of the shooting as former Pantera guitarist Abbott and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk.

Damageplan had just begun their first song at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Abbott, 38, one of heavy metal's top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of pioneering thrash rock act Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands of the early 1990s. Vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla round out Damageplan.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet away from the stage when he noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said. He said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at members of the band, the gunman fired into the crowd. Mull said a police officer who arrived shortly after the shooting began shot and killed the gunman.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," he said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

The police spokesperson said the officer who killed the suspect was patrolling nearby when he heard the call go out. He entered the club through a back door and was directed to the stage, where he saw one person lying dead and the suspect holding onto another person. The officer shot and killed the suspect.

The suspect's name and that of the fifth person killed were not immediately released. The spokesperson said their family members are still being notified.

Contacted by Billboard this morning, the club's booking manager said the police were still on the premises conducting interviews.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans. "It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," she said.

The Abbott brothers produced Damageplan's debut Elektra album, "New Found Power," which was released in February and debuted at No. 38 on The Billboard 200.

"Damageplan carries on the tradition Pantera started, the ... hell-raising tradition we were all about," Vinnie Paul Abbott told the Dallas Morning News in October. "We do play some Pantera songs. Me and Dime wrote them, and we feel like we have the right to play them. But the focus is on Damageplan.

"It took a while for some of the Pantera fans to accept it; we knew that was gonna be the case," he said. "Change is something that people have a hard time accepting. But me and Dime intended on doing this our whole lives."

Damageplan's Web site said Darrel and Vinnie Abbott grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, area where their father, country songwriter Jerry Abbott, owned a recording studio.

Pantera, known for its brutally hard, fast and aggressive sound, recorded four albums in the 1990s. They attracted a massive cult following and the band's third release, "Far Beyond Driven," debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike.

Pantera was nominated for Grammys for best metal performance in 1995 for "I'm Broken" and in 2001 for "Revolution Is My Name." The video "The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits," made charts earlier this year as one of the top 10 in music video sales.

Dozens of messages were posted to the Dallas band's Web site after the shootings. "This is the worst day in metal history," one posting read. "The metal world feels your pain," another wrote.

while I don't mind terribly being checked for guns at a rock concert I don't like when some 19 year old army wannabe has the authority to tell me to empty my pockets which obviously contain no weapons

the article Pablo put up says there were about 500 people there and says it was crowded but not full... same size as Seventy Seven where Little Feat and Bela Fleck played probably

it sounds like this guy was really on a directly personal vendetta, not just out to shoot people... likely would've gotten to Dimebag one way or another eventually

don't see how extra security would help anyone from getting trampled due to poor colliseum planning, might even cause the opposite as people rush in after being held up for hours in line... security certainly won't stop a pyrotechnics fire from starting up

having to wait 2 hours in the extremely cold northern michigan wind to get into the Palace a few years back while every single person was searched definately sucked... just tough to picture gun play at the Dead show

this would makes a little more sense because how could anyone get a piece into a rock show?

But it was a 600 person capacity club. How often is there security at a club this size? Like I said above, I can't ever remember being searched at the local clubs of this size.

this would makes a little more sense because how could anyone get a piece into a rock show?

But it was a 600 person capacity club. How often is there security at a club this size? Like I said above, I can't ever remember being searched at the local clubs of this size.

If you're going into the Phoenix in Toronto you're going to get searched, doesn't matter who you're seeing. As well as many other venues in Toronto, probably because handguns are an issue in the GTA.

Events like this tragedy with Dimebag Darrell will for at least a time probably induce the owners of clubs and other venues to increase their security so that their patrons feel safe or safer.

ya, as I say, don't really mind a quick frisk to see if I'm packin or sportin a blade

but my friendly little baggy is none of the club's business!

snap to work Tooly!

Hey Tooly,

You should pat paisley down big time the next time he walks through PJC doors and take whatever contraband he has on his person.

To be fair you can do the same to me, I might even enjoy it!

I actually feel bad about joking about this as what happened last night was such a terrible tragedy. Though I'm about to post this anyway.

This is terrible news. May they all rest in peace

During the last two months I’ve been to the Phoenix twice and I wasn’t checked on either occasion. At Seventy Seven we have security and everyone is supposed to get checked. This is usual practice at the club but I notice security is relaxed for gigs like Feat and Bela. Obviously this is because of the type of people attending the show. Probably the same situation at the Phoenix. This news makes me reconsider how things are done. It hardly ever happens but it does happen.