Jambands.ca

REVISED: Bonnaroo 2005 Line-up

Jaimoe

I'm loving most of this year's early line-up. Here's the story:

The fourth annual Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival will feature first-timers the Dave Matthews Band, Modest Mouse, Joss Stone and the Mars Volta, as well as returning acts like Widespread Panic, the Allman Brothers Band and Jack Johnson.

The camping and music event runs June 10th through the 12th on a 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tennessee, south of Nashville, and is complemented by non-musical activities that in years past have included a twenty-four-hour cinema, an arcade, a comedy tent and a Mardi Gras-style parade. Other artists scheduled to perform include Rilo Kiley, My Morning Jacket, Iron and Wine, Drive-By Truckers, Joanna Newsom, Citizen Cope, and Alison Krauss and Union Station.

Of his return to Bonnaroo, Johnson says, "It has the vibe. Not just for the fans, but also for the bands. Backstage is exactly how I would have dreamed these festivals would be: musicians sitting around showing each other songs, watching each others' sets from the side of the stage. And some of the best live music that I have seen was at those past festivals."

As in past years, a live CD and DVD from 2004's festival will be available in April.

COLIN DEVENISH

(Posted Jan 18, 2005)

Here is the announcement from www.bonnaroo.com . I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for more.

Superfly Productions and A.C. Entertainment are proud to announce the initial lineup for the 2005 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival. The fourth annual three-day camping and music festival will be held on June 10-12, 2005, on the same 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tennessee, 60 miles south of Nashville. A list of confirmed acts follows, with more to be announced before the on sale and in the weeks ahead to round out the festival's 60-plus acts.

Tickets for the 2005 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival will go on sale Saturday, January 29th at 10:00 AM Eastern Time through www.bonnaroo.com.

2005 Bonnaroo Confirmed Artists (many more to be announced):

Widespread Panic (2 shows)

Dave Matthews Band

The Allman Brothers Band

Jack Johnson

Alison Krauss & Union Station

Modest Mouse

Gov¹t Mule

Bela Fleck Acoustic Trio

The Mars Volta

John Prine

Yonder Mountain String Band

My Morning Jacket

Keller Williams

STS9

Earl Scruggs & Friends

Joss Stone

O.A.R.

Toots and the Maytals

Umphrey's McGee

Iron & Wine

Ozomatli

Rilo Kiley

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe

Drive-By Truckers

Particle

Joanna Newsom

Xavier Rudd

Ray Lamontagne

The Gourds

Secret Machines

Donna The Buffalo

John Butler Trio

Ollabelle

Citizen Cope

Brazilian Girls

M. Ward

Madeleine Peyroux

Specific performance days and times for each artist will be announced in the coming months.

Complete festival information is available at www.bonnaroo.com which will be continually updated.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for more.

I know what you mean Tim... I'm happy to see Modest Mouse, Ozomatli, John Butler, Iron & Wine, Alison Krauss, Toots and the Gourds there, but really it isn't that strong at the moment...

AD

Yes, the first one was fantastic. Yes, it does get a little weaker every year. It also gets more expensive and much less 'open-minded' and much more controlling. The first year you could actually take drinks everywhere except the two main stages. Now you can't even get close to the music with a drink unless you've spent your time in the lines and paid the high prices that the vendors gleefully demand.

That all being said; this is still a fantastic festival and I can say that without a doubt, some of the best musical experiences that I've had in my life, have taken place at Bonnaroo.

Yes, the first one was fantastic. Yes, it does get a little weaker every year. It also gets more expensive and much less 'open-minded' and much more controlling. The first year you could actually take drinks everywhere except the two main stages. Now you can't even get close to the music with a drink unless you've spent your time in the lines and paid the high prices that the vendors gleefully demand.

i couldnt agree with you more willy. it was bullsh!t to see them put up all thoose fences after the first year. it did nothing but create more line-ups for entering the festival parking/camping grounds. it looked more like a prison than a festival. and the line-up just gets weaker every year. i'd still prefer to see about half as many bands on the list but let them play longer sets.

Guest Low Roller

The line-up looks fantastic. I don't know what you people are bitching about. Face reality for a change: Phish won't be there and the Dead should change their name to Deadweight, so I'm glad they aren't there. The line-up has a bit of everything for everyone.

You want some "jambands" then you can see Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGhee, and the Allman Brothers Band.

You got your rock ration in Gov't Mule, Modest Mouse, Mars Voltas and My Morning Jacket.

You like some dude playing acoustic guitar? Well then you got Jack Johnson, Keller Williams, Xavier Rudd, and Iron & Wine.

Feel like a late night rave? Well then go see Particle, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, and STS9.

You like redneck music? Go see Bela Fleck Acoustic Trio, Yonder Mountain String Band, Earl Scruggs and Friends, or the Gourds.

They even have someone called Brazilian Girls! They got my attention...

And that's all just for starters! Please enlighten me to what more do you people want?

Hahah Roller, I like that line 'rock ration'

What the lineup is missing is the jaw-dropping awesomeness of past lineups. And a lot of these bands have already played Bonnaroo, I don't want to see the same bands all the time... Gimme new bands, fresh material.

AD

Guest Low Roller

Admittedly I am surprised at the lack of Phish alumni doing a sideproject. When is Trey supposed to have his new line-up ready by?

Mike Gordon always shows up at these kind of things in one form or another because of all the young girls in the crowd that he can try to lure backstage by promising to show them his "segway". I bet he'll be there.

And where is everyone's favorite band Moe? Why aren't they touring? They better not be wasting their time recording a studio album, because nobody cares about those. They just want to see the band play live so they can use it as an excuse to get blitzed.

The Slip sucks.

Guest Low Roller
sure its diverse but you'll spend more time getting in and out of that festivals and waiting in food/ice/water lines then listening to to the music.

You'll find that most large scale festivals have very strict crowd control. Gone are the days of free roaming at festivals of this magnitude. The fact is that the masses are too stupid and cannot be trusted to act in a responsible way anymore. That's not to say that you personally are stupid, but rather I'm refering to the average idiot quotient of the people at this festival. It is in the US afterall. The larger the attendance the higher likelyhood that the combined stupidity will set off some sort of Woodstock '99 flashback.

there's nothing in this line-up that would make me want to travel to tennessee in the middle of the summer... and to be honest, as i said to a friend this morning who is trying to get me to go down this year, i've yet to hear a bonnaroo story that made me REALLY want to go... not saying i've only heard negative things, but its just the impression i've gotten over the years... different strokes for different folks.

besides, i would much rather travel to nova scotia and put my money into an awesome canadian festival, and support other canadian festivals as well, in hopes that more people will do the same and one day down the road we'd have a larger scale festival of our own.

i dont even think i'd go if the slip were headlining. how's that low roller?

that being said, put me down for High Sierra, or an ICT type festival... something smallish... and with the slip. ::

Guest Low Roller
i dont even think i'd go if the slip were headlining. how's that low roller?

I'd say you were a lying bag of crap. :: You looooooove the Slip and you want to have their baby.

Although I agree with the sentiment of supporting the Canadian festivals. They tend to be smaller and more intimite as opposed to the massive corporate sponsored events like Bonnaroo.

yeah. the last time i went over i received strict instructions from the border guys that i was only to travel to smallish US festivals that the slip were playing, and from now on ALL Bonnaroo's were off limits, regardless of who was playing. weird restriction, eh? thats what i said. but you know how hard those guys are.

Guest Low Roller

Damn americans with their 6 lbs. burgers and their "rules". I feel for you Guigsy, I really do. For your sake I hope that there are sufficient tapers at the event so they may provide you with quality audience recordings of all the amazing bands that will be performing at Bonnaroo. Keep on truckin'!