Jambands.ca

Tonight on Austin City Limits

Booche

Between their ACL and SNL performances, I have serious doubts about Modest Mouse as a live band. In a word, the vocals are BRUTAL. I wasn't expecting much from Brock... it's all about his delivery right? But the backing vocalist was especially bad. Who hires a touring back-up singer that can't hit a harmony or memorize the lyrics??

Guest Low Roller

Granted the SNL performance was a total mess, I thought the ACL set was definitely a step in the right direction. I will still claim that the Modest Mouse show I saw in Ottawa was the best show of 2004.

As far as Brock's vocals go, sure they are a little rough, but so were Kurt Cobain's and Johnny Rotten's. Modest Mouse has an original sound that I find very unrefined and raw, characteristics usually attributed to punk music. Modest Mouse could very well be the first band to combine aspects of punk, country, and trancy jamming (ala GTB).

As far as the back-up singer guy, I have no idea what his deal is. He always shows up with Modest Mouse.

I saw the ACL performance, and I think I'm with dave-O on this one: the vocals turned me off, and, well, I didn't really get a big charge out of the show. Roller, how much of the "trancy jamming" you refer to was there in the ACL set? I don't recall any. In general, I found the songs just kind of laid there, starting in one place not really going anywhere, and then stopping, without a lot of dynamics or tension/release. From other people's reports, I guess I expected (or prepared for) more.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

There was some trancy jamming, but mind you it only lasted a minute or so. They would go into a groove, and soon after they would change the pace. They don't noodle endlessly like the Bus would, but it's the exact same concept of layering that GTB uses for their jams.

I found only one of their songs to be flat and "laying there" (the last one where they endlessly repeat "the good times are killing me").The other tunes I thought had plenty of tension release, but they were found in the vocals rather than in the combined instrumentation like you'd expect from Phish.

Modest Mouse is not a jamband. Never was, and hopefully never will be. They are some kind of dark horse that defies classification, and that's exactly the way I like it.

Bradm, you of all people should have an open mind to bizarre music, afterall you're the one that tried to turn me onto Frank Zappa. I would suggest exploring their studio albums before you firm your opinion.

I'm still open-minded on them, but think I'll start with that Ugly Casanovas disc that Velvet's always going on about. He had it on during a road trip, and I liked it a lot, mostly because it was 'way out on the fringes, but in a way that really grabbed me, for some reason.

Aloha,

Brad

I did not see Modest Mouse on any of their TV appearences, but, I did see their concert in ottawa at the Capital Music Hall. I thought they were great live and thought Brock's vocals were really good actually, better then I thought they would hold up live. It was one of my favorite concerts of the year and I would say that if they tour again go see them.

cheers,

Jake

Oh for 2?

Based on ACL and SNL?

Good thing you didnt use that as a baseline when it came to Phish on the tele. You would never have seen them.

Who said anything about Phish? And they were great on ACL, no?

::Booche calls me a n00b in 3.... 2.... 1.... ::

a) i have yet to hear a live modest mouse show that i liked. although, the one concert i saw in 2000 was definitely a good show, i can agree that the vocals are almost always going to turn you off (live) if you're not into that thing at a live show.. its gotta be impossible to keep that up nite in nite out, i mean, he's isaac brock, not brian fu©king johnson... the band can easily get loud and sloppy, but thats there music, and lets be honest, when you're in a studio, you can do it till you get it right, live, if you dont pull it off, you dont pull it off, no second chances.. so, they're bound to be sloppy here and there, its the nature of the music they play.

B) the more i listen to all the modest mouse i have, and the more i listen to the one ugly casanova disc that exists i can honestly say that the more you guys get into modest mouse, the more you're going to HEAR ugly casanova. ugly casanova is a great disc, but its not so original in that brock didnt already do, or at least try, all of that with the mouse... sounds, concepts, its all in the backlogs. its like ugly casanova is a collection of his best ideas, refined, and rolled into a solo disc. and an awesome one at that.

c) roller, no zappa? no slip? yet, part of your love for the mouse is that they're a dark horse with an original, unrefined, raw sound that defies classification.. i just find that interesting, considering how similar all 3 really are, when you break it all down. (actually, i'll qualify that by saying zappa is probably more similar to the slip, just as the slip are more similar to modest mouse..kind of a lineage of sound..zappa>slip>mouse). anyways, just an observation, not trying to debate.. i know all 3 very well, so im aware of their differences and why a certain sound wouldnt appeal to you, yet another one would..

B) the more i listen to all the modest mouse i have, and the more i listen to the one ugly casanova disc that exists i can honestly say that the more you guys get into modest mouse, the more you're going to HEAR ugly casanova. ugly casanova is a great disc, but its not so original in that brock didnt already do, or at least try, all of that with the mouse... sounds, concepts, its all in the backlogs. its like ugly casanova is a collection of his best ideas, refined, and rolled into a solo disc. and an awesome one at that.

Agreed!

I've not seen them live, but I did see them on ACL and SNL and thought both performances were disappointing... I have heard so much about them, and I was expecting more... I have also downloaded a bunch of live shows of theirs, and have yet to be impressed. Actuall Idownloaded some shows first, and chalked up my disappointment to the lousy recording quality. After seeing them twice, my opinion has not changed. Those who like them tell me I just don't "get" it. I like to call those people "crazy" (Especially when they make the little quote sign with thier fingers... Friggin Idiots!)