Jambands.ca

I'm Off To Nashville, Memphis & The Delta This Sun

Jaimoe

( If anyone has visited the places that we will be at or near, by all means please feel free to point us towards cool things to see and hear ).

Here's a brief itinerary:

I'm making a musical pilgrimage for a week starting this Sunday. My new fiance and I will be first staying in Nashville for 3 nights. While in Nashville, we'll check-out the Country & Music Hall Of Fame, many country and bluegrass cafes, shopping and tour The Grand Ole Opry ( no shows scheduled while we are there ).

Next, we'll be driving to Clarksdale Mississippi to visit the town that's considered by many the birthplace of the Delta Blues. While in Clarksdale, we'll be staying in a plantation that's been converted into a series of shack-up inns. Morgan Freeman has a juke-joint in the town which we'll be helping close down on Wednesday. We'll also be hitting the Delta Blues Museum. We'll also look for other juke-joints, pending whether they let " outsiders " in or not.

Robert Johnson allegedly sold his soul to the devil at the Crossroads, which is also in Clarksdale. So is one of his 3 graves. HIS-Crossroads.jpg

Many great Delta artists and blues greats are from Clarksdale, like Ike Turner, Robert Johnson, Sam Cooke, Son House, Earl Hooker, John Lee Hooker, T-Model Ford, W.C. Handy, Pinetop Perkins, Muddy Waters. Hell, even Tennesse Williams was from Clarksdale.

We'll travel around some of the river delta towns near Clarksdale too.

Then we'll head to Memphis for a few days. While in Memphis, we'll be seeing the Stax Museum, take a Sun Records tour, hitting up the Gibson Guitar factory, going to Graceland, and venturing in many blues and rock clubs on famed Beale Street.

I'll take pictures and send them to Bouche when I get back. I may even sell my soul for the right price, as long as I can get a few hits out of the deal.

while in Nashville make sure you tour the Ryman ( orig. Grand ole Opry), it sent shivers through my body, you'll get to stand on the stage where all the greats stood, it's a beautiful church. It's right downtown behind dolly's which is one of the bars you'll want to stop at (it was in the back room of Dolly's after closing where many Willie and Kristopherson tunes were wrote.)

There is also this divey looking bar in the middle of the bar strip, I can't remember the name but I think it's right across the street from the Ernest Tubb record shop, It looks kinds scetchy but it was where we saw the most authentic country music while we were there.

Bring lost of change when you go to the country bars, the guys playing play for free and only make money on tips.

Have a blast I wish I was going again.

Halfway between Nashville and Memphis (on the I-40 I believe, whatever the main highway is) is Casey Jones' house. It's actually been moved from it's original location, but it's on display pretty much in the parking lot of a shopping plaza. It's certainly not worth going out of your way to see but...

If you happen to go there DEFINITELY look for the tiny guitar store that is upstairs at the plaza. I spent about two hours sitting and talking with the owner and playing the craziest vintage guitars, including BB King's second ever guitar. There are several instruments there that were once owned by someone or other. There are original Sun recordings of everybody all over the walls, pretty much just tacked up there, no frames or anything. Whether you're a player or not, it's worth a visit. If you are a player I'd say it's worth going out of your way for.

The whole time I was there it was just me and him in the store, except when two people popped their heads in for a minute.

Well. I'm flying out tomorrow at 9:00am.

Thanks Catfish and Velvet for some trip advice. If anyone can think of any other points of interest to vist, let me hear 'em.

If I do sign a selling-of-my-soul contract with the Devil while visiting the Crossroads ( in Clarksdale ), I'll be sure to write down the name Andre Bouchard.