Jambands.ca

How do you make puppies less bitey?

Patchoulia

Well, Stoned, I am dealing with this right now, and we are almost graduated from "puppy school", so I do have a few pointers.

When the dog bites, make him/her lie down. When I say "make" the dog do it, I mean hold onto the dog's collar and pull it to the ground. When the dog is on the ground, keep it there for a full 15 continusous seconds. (You will find this is a surprisingly long time.) If the dog keeps fighting you, keep re-starting the 15 seconds. This is, essentially, the same as giving a child a "time-out". When the dog is behaving quietly for 15 seconds (which is quite a feat, because lying on the ground is the most vulnerable position the dog can be in) you let the dog back up and praise the dog like crazy. Repeat as necessary.

As an aside, this is a really important thing to accomplish. I can tell you based on my work that it does not take much for a person to complain to the authorities that your dog bit him/her/their child... and that gets you well on your way to your dog being declared a "dangerous animal", which is the first step before a court-ordered euthanizing. I couldn't imagine letting that happen to my dog, and it is for that reason that the biting issue has to be dealt with, completely, as early as possible.

why is it that the first thing i thought of was lazlo saying some stupid sh!t like "kick the fu©ker in the teeth"?

anyways, i dont know how to do it. puppies bite. its what they do. maybe give them things that dont taste very good to bite on, then they'll stop wanting to bite. i dunno. its been 13 years since i had a puppy.

i just thought it was more interesting that someone else's first thought was lazlo's class..

It's a matter of getting the dog's owner to comply. My landlord/roommate is the owner of the dog, but it seems the neighbour who looks in on her/walks her during the day is doing more of the training than the guy who bought the dog.

Hence, my concern (for your reasons listed above, StoneMtn). So I'll see what I can do. She's hanging out with me a lot in the evenings now. Though I know its difficult if everyone she spends time with isn't reinforcing the training.

Stoned, I highly recommend picking up the book "Puppies for Dummies". It's just like "Windows for Dummies", "DOS for Dummies"... but it's about puppies. Having read the book and then attended puppy training school I can say that I actually learned everything from the book, which was only reinforced by the puppy school. (Perhaps this would be a good gift for the puppy owner...)

wow, responsible dog owners! you guys are great! i got bit really badly (on the throat) when i was about twelve. i couldn't go near *any* dog until i was about twenty because of total paralyzing fear. cute, sweet little dogs that grow up with irresponsible, neglectful owners end up being totally unpredictable. yea to good dog owners! ::

Hey... I've had quite a bit of experience with this.

First of all dont allow the dog opportunities to bite. If they're insisting on biting, you (their favourite toy) remove yourself. They need to chew and explore so have a chewy toy that can be a substitute. They go to bite your hand and you say "no" and hand them the chewy toy. The same goes for anytime they're chewing something they shouldn't.

When you want to play with a puppy and it keeps biting then you need fair consequences. Biting a dog back is not fair or logical. Most research will go from a animal behavior point of view (ie - how do dogs communicate with each other)

A dominant dog or a puppies mother will

a) close their mouth over the puppies mouth, and put pressure on the top of the nose.

You can do this by saying No, holding your puppies mouth closed (3-5 sec). The puppy will whine and pull away and once you release try to bite you again, which is when you repeat it the consequence, but slightly stronger.

B) A second strong/severe consequence that

doesnt involve violence at all is to copy what a mother will do to a misbehaving puppy. She will take them by the scruff of their neck and give them a shake.

You can do the exact same thing with a verbal reprimand. They dont like it all at and it isn't mean.

Thats all. Good luck :)

OK, I read this somewhere, but cant quite remember where: While it's important to teach a dog not to bite, a lot of dogs gets mouthy when they are playing, especially when they are playing rough, and especially with other dogs. So it's important to teach the dog how hard they can clamp down without it being biting, and they usually learn this from playing with their brothers and sisters. Most dogs go to new homes before they've really learned this, so apparently an effective way to teach them is to yelp loudly in a doggy voice if they bite too hard. You know, the same sort of sound that the dog itself would make if it felt a sharp pain. I know at least one dog that this technique has worked with.

We’ve been doing the “loud yelping” since she came home to let her know how hard she can bite. She has plenty of toys, which she loves to chew.

She still does kooky things like attack and start biting really hard when playing or when you’re petting her.

She bit my roommates head/neck and he has infected puncture wounds (they were playing, he knows it wasn’t her fault).

I tried the “keep her mouth shut” for 10-15 seconds last night and it seemed to work.

Unfortunately, when I got home from work and opened the kitchen door, she was so excited to see me that she leapt up at me and, since the kitchen is a few steps higher than the landing on which I was standing, her big nails scratched right down my face!

Facial gouges are “in”, right?

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Facial gouges are “in”, right?

Facial gouges are, like, so 4 years ago...when that happened to me! They go really well with fat lips. It was really hard to explain to my co-workers that, no, I wasn't in an abusive relationship, but that my dog had pulled a Dino on me!

For real, though, I think the key to dog training is consistency. I had a really hard time with training because the people I lived with didn't care, or they would make up their own commands so she didn't understand mine anymore. Make sure that everyone that she's around does the same thing to make the biting stop, or she'll just be confused.

Or, if they decide they don't want her anymore, I'll have her, she's effin' cute!