Jambands.ca

NHL Season back on?????

SevenSeasJim

The NHL already looks like a joke for canceling the season, they'll look like an even bigger joke if they uncancel it. Add in Steve Moore filing a civil suit against Bertuzzi, May, Burke, Crawford and the Canucks and we've got plenty of great headlines for the sport. Boo.

Now they're saying there's been no break through today...

From the Toronto Star :

Hockey talks stalled

League, NHLPA meet in New York in attempt to salvage season

CANADIAN PRESS

NEW YORK- It appears Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and NHL Players' Association president Trevor Linden were unable to kick-start NHL labour talks Saturday.

Sources on both sides said no progress was made at the 6 1/2-hour session and there are no talks scheduled for Sunday. The prognosis was bleak.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not present. But their right-hand men, the NHL's Bill Daly and NHLPA's Ted Saskin, were in the room, a source said.

Also involved were outside counsel Bob Batterman for the NHL and John McCambridge for the union.

The players were also represented by Colorado veteran Vincent Damphousse, a vice-president of the union's executive committee, and NHLPA executive Mike Gartner, a source said.

Goodenow and other members of the NHLPA committee are in New York, but were not at the meeting.

Emergency talks to save the 2004-05 season began at 9 a.m. EST and wrapped up at around 3:30 p.m. at an undisclosed downtown New York location, just three days after the league cancelled the campaign.

Gretzky, managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes, joined talks for the first time in this process, a source confirmed Saturday. The Great One is believed to have been instrumental in bringing both sides back together in an effort to reach a deal and "uncancel" the season.

Lemieux, a playing owner, also joined the session for the first time, combining with Gretzky and Daly to represent the owners.

The talks come amid reports that the basis of a deal including a $45-million US salary cap was already in place, something denied strongly by both sides. A league official called it completely "untrue," while an NHLPA spokesman said "the report is absolutely false."

Talks ended Tuesday night after the NHLPA rejected the league's final offer of a $42.5-million salary cap. The NHLPA's last offer featured a salary cap of $49 million.

Funny enough, I've only been to two actual NHL games... Once was as a kid with my Dad, in Winnipeg, to see a Jets game. The other time was out in BC, when my buddy scored us free tickets to a Canucks game at GM Place... My friend from high school, Brandon Convery was playing for the Canucks at the time, which made the game a little more interesting... I was actually kind of excited to catch at least one Senators game since I live in Ottawa now and all... I doubt I'd go to a "farce season" game though... Tickets to NHL games are ridiculously expensive...