Jambands.ca

Acoustic Slowcoaster @ Dekcuf on Monday?

bradm

Unfortunately, I had long shut the taping rig down before this happened last night so I can't verify it, but I swear I heard the guitar player in Slowcoaster say he'd be doing an acoustic thing at Cafe Dekcuf on Monday (solo? with friends?). Does anybody else who was there remember this?

Aloha,

Brad

I'm still trying to figure out what that sour taste in my mouth was from...i'm on the fence.

my ass was not kicked last night at all. there was a tap but it just made me want to have a better time so i've gotta say - i tried.

i must say though I am glad people had a great time last night. y'all deserve it!

I wish I had the moolah to join you all. Unfortunately, Sharon and I have planned a few things for April and saving cash is a huge priority.

I got an email from Magic Pat that basically said that I, among others, missed a really great time. Since he hasn't logged in yet to the account I fu©king made for him, I'm gonna just post his email. BTW, there is no privacy agreeement if I'm emailed stuff. I'll post it at will ;)

"Gentlemen,

You guys missed a good one last night. Seriously. Blew my doors off.

Get the cds from Brad. The sound was wicked until the guitar player blew his

amp. I think they started to route the guitar through the bass amp and the

sound suffered a bit. Then then he broke a string ... ouch.

Anyway, I was talking to one of the band members after the show. He was

mentioning they are staying in Ottawa because they are recording an acoutsic

set at Dekcuf Monday night .... something to consider for sure."

I'm still trying to figure out what that sour taste in my mouth was from...i'm on the fence.

my ass was not kicked last night at all. there was a tap but it just made me want to have a better time so i've gotta say - i tried.

If anything didn't kick my ass last night it was Caution Press... They played for too long and their songs were less than impressive... Slowcoaster is about the best new CanJam-ish band I've seen in a long time. It's too bad they didn't do it for you Beats, pretty much everyone I talked to during and after the show was absolutely blown away... I'll be checking them out any chance I get...

i've been listening to (the now) caution press for years and I know how i'd tweak their songs to get them working right for my ears - i understand how people wouldn't quite like them. I'd actually like to hear WHY people didn't quite like them. I think that I may share some of your distastes on this one. I'm just not at the 'these guys suck' stage...but i've heard these guys play a lot and understand where they're coming from a bit better than one set worth of a half-listen...'i know these guys are your friends but they've got to get off the stage' doesn't really speak 'listening intently' to me...not trying to rile anybody up, but i'm right.

people are always saying how SlowCoaster really does it for them and good for them but too bad for me that i was consistently left wanting something a bit better from all the hype i've seen.

SloCo have loads of talent. I can't wait to someday hear some more SKILL. if you can think about that and listen back to their show you'll probably get where i'm coming from. it's my only contention with much of the jambands around. great jamming, tasty hooks, but lacking a certain something...arranging, practicing, retooling...don't know what it quite takes but it's SOMETHING.

I really like the singer's voice and guitar licks as well as the percussionist...he was tasteful and strong. that's pretty rare in the jam scene. the rest of the band's really good but still something's lacking for me. Glad people like them. Any hard working touring band deserves fans. I don't KNOW how hard these guys work but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I like the indieish stuff SloCo does and some of the jamaican grooves...meggo (i think) hit the nail on the head with the hot hot heat throwback - i've been thinking that and saying it here and there for months. it's nice to have my comments actualized on here.

for the record i'd like to go see the hot hot heat and have a feeling i'd probably have a better time listening than i did last night - and i did a lot of listening last night.

Caution Press didn't play 'far too long'...they played till 11:30. that's not a long set it's a late start. I would presume that they were given an hour and a song so they stuck to it. There's no one magic time a band should stop playing. they were actually supposed to start around 9 and were pushed back for quite awhile, which i would presume would have started them a bit awkwardly. If I were in a band and promised an hour and i was pushed back for whatever reason I'd play my set - that's not something to fu©k around with. why even bother to show up and play for 30 minutes? when a band shows up and has to soundcheck a few hours before the doors open only to play a piddly set it's a slap in the face. Why wait around and get frustrated? I can think of way better ways to spend my time with a band.

I do understand your concern - It's just plain strange to show up for the second band and still have the first one on for awhile. I don't know if that's how it was planned or just happened to time out but a wrench was thrown in the gears by a change of plans either way.

You probably don't quite hear it yet and you may never hear it yourself but those guys have something I haven't heard in many acts...each member has truly impressed me in one way or another more than most of the artists in the jam scene - keep in mind they're not a jam band. They've just gotta find their voices and straighten out the songwriting and some little details - like any band does.

I'm not biased because I know them...i'm at worst a little humbled because i know them...i never liked nero any more because i have met/partied with/'know' them. I actually think that I'm pretty critical when it comes down to it - i enjoy hearing them but know how i'd enjoy hearing them (any band i've seen a bunch of times) more. I think they'd start a night of grand theft bus off really nicely - especially with the newer bus tunes.

I hope slowcoaster's acoustic set isn't just a bunch of kitchen party songs. They seem to be all about the FUN...I'd like to actually be impressed with some songwriting and dynamics if i show up. I hope they get intimite with each other and the audience. I got the impression they wouldn't be into that from EVERYTHING i heard on Saturday - a lot of party though which is always good times and there's always that gap to fill. I had a good night but it's just as easy for me to chill with a book, my guitar, and some inspiration in front of the fireplace. if anybody was wondering why i was a bit quiet last night you know now...sour sour sour - not trying to be a downer, just brutally honest which WE ALL should feel obligated to be.

And I'm just trying to be brutely honest about Caution Press... Boring... All their songs sounded very similiar, and I'm sorry, but a lot of people at the bar felt that they played well past their time... Sorry dude, they're not particularly good. As for Slowcoaster, I guess everyone I spoke to after the show was wrong... Who cares if they're all about fun? Music isn't about depth all the time, it comes down to is it good or is it bad... Caution Press was pretty bad, and Slowcoaster was pretty good. They played quite a few different styles, and had the crowd moving to them all... Nice kids as well. Their acoustic stuff they played at the afterparty was pretty decent. If you didn't dig what they did on Saturday night, why bother showing up on Monday? I for one will be there, I think these guys have a lot of potential... Caution Press? Well, let's just say I won't be going out of my way to see them again...

that's very fair Del - and I know what you mean about the songs sounding similar. As far as the 'well past their time' issue - they should've started when they were supposed to. Can't blame the band for that. it's really not a huge deal. the setbreaks were just a bit shorter.

i had fun but something was off...still can't quite explain it. I guess I was expecting more from the music than it had to offer or a more directed energy or SOMETHING. it wasn't just depth but that had a fair deal to do with it.

I had every intention of making it out early. Unfortunately one of the dogs took off and I spent close to 2 hours driving around with a hunk of cheese on the passenger seat!

When I finnaly got downtown Slow Coaster had allready begun. I was kinda cranky from the dog ordeal and had yet to apply my nic patch :o...first song I was realy dissappointed...but was it my head space...quite possibly...then I got a couple drinks, put the ol'patcharoo on and took some powerfull treats.....then I loved it, loved it, loved it....was it my new headspace?....quite possibly. Had I just relaxed and was simply enjoying the music?...very possible too.

I'll definately be giving them a go next time...and if I remain more sober I'll probably have a better idea about what I heard.

Hype IS a hard thing to deal with. Its needed but it can raise expectations too high...I know we all know this allready.

Anyways had an amazing time it was REALY FUN to get out and enjoy music with amazing friends and get to play hard and get to play with amazing people after the show(thanks that place)..I love you people and have realy missed playing with you all...thankyou for keeping a warm spot in your hearts for me, it feels nice to feel loved by the folks I love, care about and respect.

Oh and Tungsten....awesome to see you as allways! Looking forward to my mail :)

Looking forward to tonight. :)

peace

jules

9:00 PM Tonight!

What's cover?

(I work until 9:00 but we might head down), since I had to leave the Saturday Show early - I had the dizzy's! I was so mad....we had even decided to party back at "matress city" -- oh well...next time.

As for the discussion on Caution Press, I'm sorry but they were too loud, and I just couldn't get my foot to tap! Maybe it was the mood I was in that night, but I don't think so!

Everyone should try and make it out to this show. If you live in Ottawa you have no excuse...These guys truly deserve our support big time. Great band, great energy, great guys. I haven't been this supportive and excited about a jamband in Canada in a long fu©king time...There is light at the end of this tunnel.

PS - Beats you're a fool. Caution Press was god awful, repetitive, uninmaginative and way too fu©king loud. Thankfully SloCo washed that diarrhea out of my ears and replaced it with some actual MUSIC.

PPS - Leeser you wanna go straight there after work?

I'm still trying to figure out what that sour taste in my mouth was from

That could be Caution Press residue :) (just ribbing you)

Not sure what the cover is but I'm definitely in - SlowCoaster was tons of fun on Saturday (as always). Nice to see them get such a good turn out as well. The last three "jam" shows at Mavericks have done well (JSB/Burt/SloCo) - hopefully they're building momentum.

Now I try not to criticize bands I don't like on the board because pretty much every band tries hard and does their best but seeing as I got quoted I figure it's all chill.

Caution Press wavered between subpar and terrible (but just in my opinion and about 90% of the people I talked to, though a couple people liked them) - good musicians playing bad songs - the same two songs it seemed, over and over again. I gave them a solid listen for about 5 songs then threw in the towel. Honestly when you announce "Two more songs!" and people in the audience yell "No!" maybe you should just play one (it's the same song anyway).

I'd probably see them again (in an opening role) but my problem isn't the playing, its the songs - I guess I just liked Freephonic more.

And while I'm being opinionated.....Grand Theft Bus fu©king rocks!!!

Caution Press ... I didn't think they were too bad, but, they should really let the long haired dude be their lead singer. He has a better voice, and you could kind of hear his lyrics... but that's my opinion.

Anyway...

I'm totally in for SloCo tonight... though if anyone has any idea of cover, that would be grrrreat!

hmmmm...wow and double wow and triple wow...gonna hype gotta do it....that was well worth the long crawl out of Carp land, without a doubt!

Thankyou SlowCoaster! :: ::

Its been alonnnng time since I found a band so enjoyable that I didn't care if I was the only peep dancing and I'm shy...(ahem...nero many moons ago)

Definately wasn't the treats that made them so hot on Saterday....these guys smoke! ::

Sorry not much of a reviewer....just give this band a shot and be sure to check them out. Sounds like they might try and make Ottawa a sure stop in the future. Hopefully they charge a bit more because it would be a real shame if they had to stop because of money like so many bands before.

BradM...you're such a good human....thanks so much for the cds of SAterday night...super good of you....I listened to them all the way back to Carp...goodtimes.

As Asparagus would say....all, ALL KINDS OF GOOD! ::

peace

julia

Wow. What a show! (And what a crowd! I estimate about 30 people were there, which is a great turnout for an almost completely unadvertised Monday show at Dekcuf.)

One thing that blew me away was the incredible store of songs these guys have. How many bands can do four sets (two electric, two acoustic; call it four hours of music), and only repeat, what, maybe 2 or 3 songs? (The only repeat from Saturday night that I identified was "Brakes Don't Work", but there may have been one or two others.) I'm also incredibly glad they did "Washing Machine" last night; it was even better than it would have been Saturday if they had done it then.

The show also highlighted just how good a guitar player Steve MacDougall is, and how he goes beyond using the usual/typical/cliche guitar parts in the songs. Velvet and Booche, you shudda bin der.

I also loved the informal, relaxed feel to the whole thing. The band did their own sound, FreekerByTheSpeaker worked the door ("Because nobody else was doing it..."), the SkyBox was available for chillin', people even danced (big kudos to howler for gettin' up to get down). And it ended early; the first set was over before most first sets (or even opening acts) usually start. Nobody was raging, but everybody was having fun.

What I want to see the next time they come to town is "An Evening With Slowcoaster", with an acoustic set, followed by two electric sets.

Aloha,

Brad

Uh, yeah, that. Turns out I was recording the show. They didn't have any gear with them, and I guess either Dekcuf's recording facilities weren't available, or the band wasn't using them.

I showed up, asked them about it, and they were entirely cool with me setting up and recording*. (Being an acoustic show, it also gave me the chance to try using my Oktavas without the -10dB pads. I listened to the mix during the show, and it almost sounded like I was inside the guitar, it was coming through so strongly.)

Aloha,

Brad

* This may, in part, be due to me giving them a copy of Saturday night's show. :)