Jambands.ca

ARE THE SPADES GONNA ROCK THE HAMMER???

kc

3 sets of solid music.Listening right now to the show..very impressed by the Spades thats for sure.

Rock & roll..period.

Loved the John Prine cover on acoustic (manager singing) and the Dylan cover was extremely welcomed...looking forward to hearing how this sounds on a real stereo insteasd of my laptop...should have this available within the next day or so...

Cheers to the Spades.

No problem Scott,it was a pleasure to meet the guys and check em out,solid folks.

Just tracking disc two right now and if all works out I'll be able to get it up tonight or tomorrow.

Working on the setlist too,I know The Good Rev has a better grip on it then I do so hopefully we'll have a set to post somtime today or tonight also.

Heres the setlist...excuse me if I have a song title wrong...any help from people thast were there on the missing track titles would be greatly appreciated.

So far,I have it worked out to have set one (38 minutes +/-) and set two (41 minutes +/-) on a single disc but I can easily make it three discs if that seems more appropiate..I like having it on two discs personally.

James McKenty & The Spades

The Pepper Jack Cafe

Hamilton,Ontario

Canada

2005-03-05

Source: SBD > Toshiba Satellite A60 > Soundforge 7 > WAV > FLAC

Taped & Transfered by: Greg R (esau13@gmail.com)

Disc One - Set One

d1t01.Powerlines

d1t02.Everybody Looks Like Zombies

d1t03.Pirate Radio

d1t04.Hydroplane

d1t05.Restless Soul

d1t06.Stick Shifts & Safety Belts (Cake)

d1t07.Tennessee Stud

d1t08.Apple Of My Eye

d1t09.Perservatives

Set Two

d1t10.Marijuana

d1t11.Joints & Cigarettes

d1t12.Causeway

d1t13.Wired For Sound

d1t14.On My Mind

d1t15.Sunday Evening Jam (1st time live)

d1t16.Subterranean Homesick Blues (B.Dylan)

d1t17.Bustin' Off An Easy One

Disc Two - Set Three

d2t01.You Are Fuel

d2t02.Regrets

d2t03.Burning On Fumes

d2t04.Words (N.Young)

d2t05.Mafia Sting

d2t06.The Business of Being Friends

d2t07.Junkmail Harmony

d2t08.?? (C.Robichaud on guitar & vocals)

d2t09.I Like To Burn Things

Encore:

d2t10.Grandpa Was A Carpenter (K.Lawson on guitar & vocals)

d2t11.Spider Bridgades

Should have it available for download within two hours or so...

Should have it available for download within two hours or so...

hey Esau this is great news! kinda takes the edge off not being able to get there.

With regards to ?? i'd be surprised if Mafia Sting and 49 Tons weren't somewhere in the sets...if that helps.

Hmmm...are you sure about that hamilton?

I know 49 tons isn't d1t12 because James mentions they wrote it about a show they did,so it s Spades song and d2t08 isn't it either.The other songs are confirmed by James since he called out what each song was before or after,except "Mafia Sting" which The Good Rev & Dr.J were able to fill in for me.

If they did play it then its definatley not very similair to Fred's version because I can't find it on any of the sets & the only thing I missed recording was the soundcheck.

Esau, if d1t12 is about a show they did then I'm pretty sure the song is called Causeway in reference to Across the Causeway, a benefit concert staged by the Tragically Hip last sept in Kingston. Has a harmonica opening to it.

Esau, if d1t12 is about a show they did then I'm pretty sure the song is called Causeway in reference to Across the Causeway, a benefit concert staged by the Tragically Hip last sept in Kingston. Has a harmonica opening to it.

Thats the song my friend...thank you.

James mentioned that about the Hip and also that he usually played harmonica at the beginning but didn't last night.

Hmmm...are you sure about that hamilton?

I know 49 tons isn't d1t12 because James mentions they wrote it about a show they did,so it s Spades song and d2t08 isn't it either.The other songs are confirmed by James since he called out what each song was before or after,except "Mafia Sting" which The Good Rev & Dr.J were able to fill in for me.

If they did play it then its definatley not very similair to Fred's version because I can't find it on any of the sets & the only thing I missed recording was the soundcheck.

I'm sure - they even announced - "This is a Fred Eaglesmith song...". There wasn't a second Eaglesmith song, was there? It's funny, I can even remember where I was standing in the room when they played it - just not when they played it.

This one, yes?

49 TONS (Fred Eaglesmith)

If there were seventeen cars out in my back yard,

The boys in blue were calling my name,

Semi-automatics up on the rooftop,

They just wanted to talk to me,

I'd tell them what they wanted to hear,

The only thing that I knew:

Forty-nine tons of diesel locomotive

Couldn't drag me back to you.

Everywhere you go, there's a train wreck, baby,

Everywhere you go, there's a runaway train,

Breaking my heart like a bottleneck, baby,

Sliding up and down and pulling its strings.

Everywhere you go, everybody knows,

You're looking for someone to do.

If I was a brakeman, if I was a switchman,

If I was an engineer,

I'd take that train on down the line

And clear on out of here.

If I was the man swinging the lantern,

I'd swing it 'til it was blue.

I'm sure - they even announced - "This is a Fred Eaglesmith song...". There wasn't a second Eaglesmith song, was there? It's funny, I can even remember where I was standing in the room when they played it - just not when they played it.

Strange man,cuz I have re-listened to the beginnings & endings of every song and haven't once heard James say that,James says what each song is before he plays it except for:

d1t03

d1t12

d2t05

d2t07

Those definaltey are not 49 Tons, so if they did play it then somehow during the show it wasn't recorded,which seems unlikey to me as there are no cuts,stops or glitches during the recording.

this is eerily (sp?) familiar, and i blame it all on the mysterious PJC Triangle... it's similar to the Bermuda Triangle, only, people and ships dont go missing.. its more like, songs, and memories, and recordings...

i still swear that The Slip played Lonely Boy at PJC in Hamilton, but it is also missing from the recording, and that one seems to be without any cuts or stops, too...

it's a strange place, that pepperjacks. ::

Well, you have the recording, so I believe you... it's just that I'm *so* sure that I heard that tune. I can't think of what other gig I could possibly be confusing this with - I definitely recall him saying that it was a Fred Eaglesmith song - 'cause I had a mini-flashback to the time I saw Fred J. Eaglesmith at the old La Luna a few years ago. Plus, I don't know the song well enough to have just mentally inserted it into the setlist.

Boy oh boy, am I ever confused... this is pretty funny! Maybe there is some kind of weird Bermuda Triangle thingy going on... or someone put something in my drink! Oh well... :o

Well I stand corrected Brian,they did play 49 Tons,I missed it as they didn't stop playing as they went into it from Bustin off an easy one...

Late night...cloudy morning.

For anyone downloading I can re-track the last song (d1t17) so that 49 Tons is on its own if people would rather have it that way...then post the fix?

LOL...nope your not & thanks by the way for bringing that up,I missed it before I seeded but according to some folks at the Spades website tha emailed me with setlist tips mentioned that it is a "long standing Spades tradition" to play Bustin' Off An Easy One into 49 Tons so fortunatley I wouldn't have to re-track it.So it worked out afterall...whew