Jambands.ca

ARE THE SPADES GONNA ROCK THE HAMMER???

kc

The show is this Saturday at Pepper Jacks.

I've heard nothing but good things, including their past two albums.

I don't think many Hamiltonians have seen them(besides the Rev) myself included.

It's FREE before 10pm.

Del may be making a guest appearance

Comments??

Saturday, March 5th

THE SPADES

@ The Pepper Jack Cafe

38 King William, Hamilton

FREE BEFORE 10PM, $5 after 10.

2 Sets

www.thespades.ca

www.pepperjackcafe.com

THE SPADES

Relying on craft, not gimmick, James McKenty and The Spades are a high-energy band who draw musical inspiration from classic Rock'n'Roll and infuse it with a youthful vibrancy which is all their own. Formed in 2002, the trio of James McKenty (vox/guitar), Winchester Street (drums), and Chachi Robichaud (bass) deliver a solid, vigorous live show which excites audiences and critics across the country. Blending infectious rhythms, vocal harmonies, and skillful, soaring guitar,to create a seamless sound which belies their age. With producer Gord Sinclair (Tragically Hip), JMATS worked on capturing a live, raw sound at The Hip's Bathouse Studio for their debut album" Burning on Fumes" , Released August of 2004. Growing up out of the fertile music community of Peterborough Ontario , the band's members have played and recorded with some of Canada's leading musicians, including The Sadies , The Silver Hearts , and The Tragically Hip . They are influenced by the music which surrounds them; their community and friends as well as the larger Canadian scene. JMATS in 2004 opened for The Tragically Hip twice playing in front of crowds of 15,000+ in Sarnia and also being part of "Across The Causeway" in Kingston!.As well as opening for The Hip, JMATS have shared bills with such Great Canadian Artist's such as Matt Mays, Cuff The Duke, Jim Cuddy, Matthew Barber, Matthew Good Band, Wide Mouth Mason, Joel Plaskett, Brothers in Stereo, The Golden Dogs, The Sadies, The Trews, Hugh Dillon Redemption Choir, April Wine and International artist's Seether The Blind Boys of Alabama and The Blind Boys of Alabama...

Comments??

they put on a great show

have seen them many times in Peterborough at the MoHo and it has NEVER disappointed.

they only have 1 cd to my knowledge, and James has a solo cd

heard they have been recording some new material for there next

definately go check them out

I guess I'll just have to make a field trip up to Peterborough sometime soon.

St. Patty's Day Bash w/ Cuff The Duke & James McKenty & The Spades @ The Trash

fu©k YES

This is going to be a good show. Hamiltonians, I beseech you. Price is not keeping you from this show, all you need to do is get there before ten and avoid cover. Even after 10, 5 bucks ain't much and you're putting it in the pockets of a great rock and roll band. They don't 'jam' in the sense that we are used to in our little scene, but they have chops, harmonies and fantastic songwriting. This isn't a pop radio buzz band, I really believe these guys are a serious, raw, rock and roll ensemble. We'll be retiring to my abode for libations etc etc post-show, so that will be a good time. If you've never met me, come down to the show, ask kc and he'll point me out. Anybody coming from out of town, I have plenty of crash space at varying degrees of comfort, couches and stray matresses, floor matresses, etc. So come on down, they're a good band, we'll all get drunk and have a ball.

Hey Rev, (or anyone who's seen 'em) would you say their grooves are totally danceable? The "neil young" reference makes me wonder if they're more a comfy sofa band?

Hey Deb, like Del said, not a comfy sofa band. As per the Neil Young reference, think more Are You Ready For The Country than Cowgirl In The Sand. I've seen the band twice, both times doing short sets at the Horseshoe, but I've seen them bust out shades of rock, surf, and countrified twang. You won't groove like you did at the Fat Cats show, but I don't forsee myself standing still while they're on. I'll probably be bopping about in a somewhat inebriated state. You and Dr. EM should come out, if you can make it.

In other news, I'm going to be talking to the band Friday morning on my radio show. CFMU 93.3 FM in Hamilton, http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca . We may have a giveaway or two, so tune in.

you steeltowners are in for a good night. these guys are great. their energy is incredible. i have never felt the desire to get into a comfy sofa at a spades show --- in fact there are some times when i just have to stand up, wherever i am, and start shakin it :P

with any luck you'll get to hear them do neil's words :: james has blown me away with that one before.

it looks like a few patchers are getting organised to head down for the show, but i don't think i'll be one of them :(

enjoy the rock!

Hopefully Essau will bring his gear, The slowcosater show he taped sounds great.

Thanks kc I was happy with the results,although some complained it was too loud,aww well,can't please em all I guess and yeah,I'll be down to record it.Been wanting to see these guys for awhile now after reading about them on here.

See ya there.