Jambands.ca

Study: Exercise, not milk best for kid's bones

AdamH

A new study published today in the journal Pediatrics says children and teens who drink milk do not necessarily develop healthier or stronger bones.

The study was conducted by researchers with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group better known for opposing animal research and promoting a vegetarian style diet.

"Evidence linking bone health with dairy product consumption is weak," said the researchers, however, "Physical activity does have a positive impact on bone health."

"Under scientific scrutiny, the support for the milk myth crumbles," wrote lead researcher, nutritionist, Dr. Amy Joy Lanou.

For their findings, the team analyzed 58 previously published studies to examine the impact of calcium consumption on bone strength.

They found a "clear majority" of the studies showed no relationship between dairy or dietary calcium intake and measures of bone health.

"To build strong bones and healthy bodies, children need exercise, sunshine, and a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that helps them maintain a healthy body weight," they wrote.

Google News Link

And then this fun response from the National Dairy Council:

The review paper by PCRM in the Marchissue of Pediatrics is an opinion piece by three representatives of an animal rights organization that has only a 5 percent physician membership. When conducting their review, PCRM authors chose to ignore decades of comprehensive research endorsing dairy's role in bone health.

Consensus in the scientific and medical community is strong regarding the value of dairy foods in a healthy diet. In fact, for information on the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) current calcium policy statement, CLICK HERE;104/5/1152.

The U.S. Surgeon General, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and many other reputable nutrition organizations confirm that milk and milk products are a good way for kids and teens to get the bone-building calcium they need.

In addition, the positive role of milk and milk products in the diet has been established through numerous clinical trials, which are considered the "gold standard" for evaluating cause-and-effect relationships.

Kids are in a calcium crisis -- they need more milk more often. During the teen years, half of all bone is formed and about 15 percent of adult height is added. This is a critical time for calcium, and by far the most common source for calcium is milk and dairy products.

When it comes to nutrition, people should listen to health and nutrition experts, not animal rights activists.

We encourage consumers to learn more about sound science on calcium and bone health at these websites:

1. NICHD's extensive, publicly funded education program called "Milk Matters" explains why milk is so essential in the development of kids and teens. nichd.nih.gov/milk.

2. In 2004, the U.S. Surgeon General called for all Americans to take action to improve and maintain healthy bones. He urged people of all ages to meet daily requirements for calcium and Vitamin D with three glasses of lowfat milk each day to reach this goal. surgeongeneral.gov/library/bonehealth

3. The CDC's longstanding National Bone Health Campaign, "Powerful Girls, Powerful Bones," encourages teen girls to get the calcium they need for healthy bones. cdc.gov/powerfulbones/index_content.html.

International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) is the Washington, DC-based organization representing the nation's dairy processing and manufacturing industries and their suppliers. IDFA is composed of three constituent organizations: Milk Industry Foundation (MIF), National Cheese Institute (NCI) and International Ice Cream Association (IICA). Its 500+ members range from large multinational corporations to single-plant operations, and represent more than 85% of the total volume of milk, cultured products, cheese, and ice cream and frozen desserts produced and marketed in the United States - an estimated $70-billion a year industry. IDFA can be found online at http://www.idfa.org

The National Dairy Council® (NDC) is managed by Dairy Management Inc., the nonprofit domestic and international marketing, planning and management organization for U.S.-produced dairy products on behalf of America's dairy farmers.

National Dairy Council

International Dairy Foods Association

http://www.idfa.org

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/milk

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/bonehealth

http://www.cdc.gov/powerfulbones/index_content.html

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics

Kids are in a calcium crisis -- they need more milk more often...by far the most common source for calcium is milk and dairy products.

By far the most common type of vehicles are gas-guzzling polluters. Does this make them the best method of transportation?

There should be more emphasis on eating a well-balanced diet! The majority of kids and teens don't eat enough raw fruits and vegetables either. I work in the health industry part time and can honestly say that I do nutritional counselling for kids with deficiencies far beyond that of calcium. The majority of people I counsel for calcium deficiencies are women 45+ who are drinking milk like it's their job while watching their bones shrink!

When it comes to nutrition, people should listen to health and nutrition experts, not animal rights activists.

Hmmmm, I wasn't aware that the dairy associations were "nutritional experts". Silly me! ;)

I'm currently reading the Liver Detox Plan by Xandria Williams. I can honestly say that it is one of the best books on nutrition that I have ever read. She does not stress a vegetarian lifestyle whatsoever, yet maintains that the majority of our calcium should still come from vegetables. The amount of calcium absorbed from vegetables far surpasses the amount of calcium absorbed from milk (when taking into consideration that sugar, caffeine, etc. inhibit calcium absorbtion and that it cannot be absorbed at all without magnesium and vitamin D in the small intestine). Vegetables provide these vitamins and minerals in a ready-to-use form that is highly superior to milk or dairy forms.

I'm not trying to say that there is no benefit to drinking milk. I, for one, have not had a glass of milk since I was maybe 5 years old. I have never had an issue with broken bones or low bone density. If people believe milk to be a superior source of calcium, they must ask themselves if the bovine growth hormone and antibiotics they are ingesting are beneficial to their health as well.

Off to enjoy my (dairy-free) lunch... :)

The amount of calcium absorbed from vegetables far surpasses the amount of calcium absorbed from milk (when taking into consideration that sugar, caffeine, etc. inhibit calcium absorbtion and that it cannot be absorbed at all without magnesium and vitamin D in the small intestine). Vegetables provide these vitamins and minerals in a ready-to-use form that is highly superior to milk or dairy forms.

Not only is this true, but calcium absorbtion is affected phosphorus consumption as well. These nutrients must be consumed in the proper ratio for ideal absorbtion. Soft drinks contain a lot of phosphoric acid and are largely responsible for excessive phosphorus intake. This, and a lack of exercise & fresh vegetables, is a more likely reason for "kids in a calcium crisis" than a lack of moo-juice.

Also, dairy cattle are typically raised in terrible conditions. I'm not vegetarian, but I've got a lot of friends who are vegetarian and don't eat meat because they think it's cruel, yet they still eat dairy. The irony is that, from a quality of life perspective, beef cattle are usually way better off than dairy cattle.

after cutting dairy out a few years back I was suprised not to be greatly affected besides to be less phlemy... 6 months off of it and couldn't see why people would ingest it... the main question people have asked in relation to that is "How do you get your calcium?"... had suspected the results of the study but its nice to see some facts supporting it

now to cut out the Coca-Cola (soooo good in a glass with ice after a night out)

"The amount of calcium absorbed from vegetables far surpasses the amount of calcium absorbed from milk (when taking into consideration that sugar, caffeine, etc. inhibit calcium absorbtion and that it cannot be absorbed at all without magnesium and vitamin D in the small intestine). Vegetables provide these vitamins and minerals in a ready-to-use form that is highly superior to milk or dairy forms."

i dont think most people (be them whoever )would logically deduct sugar and caffeine are good for children (including juices).

A balanced diet is where it is at!

But please give the children calcium, in whatever form you prefer. a 8 oz glass of milk has 300 mg of calcium in it. to get this amount of calcium by eating broccoli (excluding extraneous variables, ie. vitamin D, short gut syndrome, fiber content etc.) you would need to persuade a young one to eat about 8 cups of broccoli.

::

" I have never had an issue with broken bones or low bone density. "

how old are you is the question? If one ganders at the elderly there is no doubt osteoporosis and osteopetrosis does take its toll. Like anything it is a combination of factors including healthy eating and excercise which will do its best to prevent this in the long run.

I don't drink milk because I don't like the taste anymore... I still use milk when I cook and stuff, which isn't often, but other than that I really don't touch the stuff. I used to love it as a kid, but I honestly haven't had a glass of milk since probably high school. No moral dilemma, just a taste issue...

a 8 oz glass of milk has 300 mg of calcium in it. to get this amount of calcium by eating broccoli (excluding extraneous variables, ie. vitamin D, short gut syndrome, fiber content etc.) you would need to persuade a young one to eat about 8 cups of broccoli.

This is an exaggeration. Of the 300mg of calcium in one cup of milk, about a third is absorbed by the body. The calcium content of broccoli varies with cultivar, growing conditions, and method of preparation, but typically ends up in the range of 50-150mg per cup. 50% of this is absorbed by the body, so only 1 1/3cups to 4cups of broccoli is needed to equal a cup of milk. Even better is tofu that is made using calcium chloride as a coagulant. I made tofu for a living for several years and our tofu was tested as having 146mg per 1/2cup. A third of the calcium in tofu is absorbed by the body so tofu and milk are equal sources of calcium on a per cup basis.

i dont think most people (be them whoever )would logically deduct sugar and caffeine are good for children (including juices).

I don't think many parents realize how sugar-laden their children's food is (or that the average high school student drinks 5 cans of pop a day in the US). Nor do I think many people are aware of how sugar suppresses the immune system.

Most processed foods contain very high amounts of sugar and salt. Breakfast cereals all claim in their commercials to be "part of a balanced diet". What freakin' part? The sugar part? And then there are Lunchables! Whoa! I can't believe that anyone would give them to their children...and on a regular basis no less.

Parents are very busy and both their diets and those of their children suffer. A "balanced diet" contains a whole lot more fruits and veggies than people realize, and that is my point. Good eating habits are exactly that, habits. Learning to eat right starts at a very early age.

how old are you is the question?

While I am still relatively young (25), I haven't eaten meat or drank milk in nearly 20 years! Yes, older folks will have more probelms with bone mass, this is understood. However, the article in question emphasizes the importance of calcium in developing children and teens. Throughout my growing years I did not have a drop of milk, and aside from the usual ailments kids have, I developed just fine. :)

staggerlee,

i agree there are variable absorptions and initial gross content with LOTS of factors contributing to this. I based this estimate on 50mg of calcium/ cup of brocolli which is what most sources i looked at stated. still however if you are tring to feed a three year old a cup of tofu, they would be full after, not having room for much more other things e.g. vegetables. drink calcium citrate (fortified o.j.) for all i care just get the calcium....which brings me to my next point.

Kaidy Mae,

if you are 25 and have no bone/growth problems that is expected. your bones will continue to build calcium stores until you are approximately 30 years old. after this a persons calcium intake will MAINTAIN bone density, however not increase bone density. even with large calcium intake, you will still lose some bone density (for females the loss is greater especially post-menopausal when estrogen is on the decline). This is why it is so important for children to get enough calcium, to build large enough stores so later in life (ie. 55years +) they will not have leeched enough calcium to cause an increase risk in fractures secondary to decreased bone density. an 80 year old falling has a much higher probablilty of breaking a bone, than a twenty-five-year old falliing

lastly paisley.

i do see your point about a balanced diet for a baby cow, but dont exactly 'buy' this arguement. i walk outside on concrete, see neon, eat cheetos and drink a coke. how much of this was 'intended' or is natural? if i take it a step closer to what i think was your point, humans (for better or worse) have somehow (opposable thumbs, and bigger brains) landed themselves at the top of the food chain. so i ask is a human who 'selectively' feeds upon lower levels of the food chain/web substrate, fundamentally different from a lion who will prey on an antelope? (selective=eating some parts not others).They both provide energy for survival. i think the lines above are blurred (such as inhumane incarceration, the fact we have food options etc.) yet if we remove those lines above, the underlying concept of humans being animals no different than any other and ostensibly being part of the cycle of life remains.

really lastly, how do you quote? i have tried but to no avail.

spencer

hey heys no worries dancinbear, each to their own... I'm not that concerned what other people eat... personally feel better since going off the dairy (was dating a vegan girl and it was convenient to do so) and would recommend non-dairy to anyone who is overtly phlemy (possibly asthmatics or allergy sufferers)... I'm glad the scientific studies back up my beliefs that you can get enough calciuim with a vegan diet (so long as you get enough exercise and eat well... PAISLEY!)

god knows Jerry loved his chocolate cake (chock full of eggs and milk) ::

if you hit "Reply" above the post you're replying to... you'll see "Quote" in the box under where you type thats titled "Instant UBB Code"

This is why it is so important for children to get enough calcium, to build large enough stores so later in life (ie. 55years +) they will not have leeched enough calcium to cause an increase risk in fractures secondary to decreased bone density. an 80 year old falling has a much higher probablilty of breaking a bone, than a twenty-five-year old falliing

I'm aware that when I'm 80 I should probably utilize a walker when I'm on the sauce. ;)

I get your point dancing bear, calcium is important for all stages of life. I was just trying to point out that I haven't had a problem with absorbtion thus far and therefore have a good, solid structure for when I hit 35 and start to shrink (as we all do).

My doctor has even comment on some injuries that I've suffered which have not resulted in fractures (much to his surprise).

When I wouldn't eat meat anymore when I was 6 (strictly a taste/texture choice then) my Mom got a little freaked out about how to make sure I was getting the proper nutrients. She was a stay at home Mom then and, fortunately for me, was able to learn how to ensure I was eating a (here it is again) well-balanced diet that did not include meat and dairy. Good thing she did because she ended up with 4 kids who are all veggies to different degrees. ::

I'm not trying to advocate a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. But, like Paisley, I am glad to see a study that proves you can still be healthy if you choose to get your nutrients from alternative sources. As much as meat eaters loathe preachy veggies, I couldn't stand it when people (who knew far less about nutritioun that I did) would tell me how sick and anemic and ill I would become if I didn't start eating meat and dairy. What total bunk!

Everyone finds what suits them best and for many different reasons.

I'm aware that when I'm 80 I should probably utilize a walker when I'm on the sauce. ;)

yeah, KM, that's my plan, too.

Interesting thread, especially for me raising my 2 girls as vegetarians. We eat tons of fresh fruit/veggies and supplement protein needs primarily with TVP, tofu and cheese. I used to be quite concerned about whether I was doing right by them, "denying" them meat, but now, at ages 8 & 4, they are clearly thriving, so I'm less stressed about monitoring their intake of food. I always figured whole, fresh foods, preferably organic, limiting junk and sugar was a recipe for fine health, so the article posted above is positive reinforcement for me. I also remember hearing/being told that we only need certain vitamins/minerals/proteins every 3 days, as opposed to every single day, meaning that we're "okay" if we don't get much protein on day 1, but some on day 2 or 3. Did someone just tell me that to make me feel better, or is it somehow true?

Another thing I am wondering is how easily absorbed the added calcium in soy milk is (both my girls generally dislike milk) and chug soy milk by the barrel-full.

I'm no expert on labelling practices, but I think that's what it means.

I checked it out, that's definately what it means in terms of the content listed in milligrams. I'm not sure about % of recommended daily intake. Recommended daily intake for calcium varies greatly with age so a % listed on the label would not be accurate for all people.

I actually found out something interesting about this very topic in my human biology class...excersice during growth makes bones denser. I don't know whether this has anything to do with milk, but a child that is taking gymnastics, dance, soccer, or any other sport that has impacts the bone during growth will help strengthen bones. The unfortunate thing is that by 18 or so it's all over as the bones and cartalige have stopped growing and what we gots is what we gots. Too bad for me as I didn't do any of that sports stuff when I was a kid. I guess I willl do alright in this portion of my mid-term. I am going to ask my teacher about this one, the milk thing that is.