Jambands.ca

Trey Dropped From Zooma?

Del

That sucks! Rachael is going to be even more pissed than me as Ben Harper is her favorite artist.

Damn it! So this is your fault TimmyB? :P

I can't say "I knew this was gonna happen", but this was the only show I had yet to purchase tickets for. Hmmmm...

My sister's trying to get Stones in Moncton tix right now. Wooohooooo!!!

Maybe the Vorcza dates were conflicting with the Zooma dates so they decided to hell with it all. Lets face it, ZOOMA tour would be nothing without Ray Paczkowski!

But seriously its too bad that tour got cancelled. It would've been cool to see Trey's band, G Love and J5 in one show, in Toronto. (Ben Harper, mehh). My speculation is that the promoters got a bit too carried away and the pre-sales didn't come through like they needed to. Like that crazy Lollapalooza lineup from last year that folded.. And like several pretty big line-up music festivals in the US the past few summers. I think Relix had an article last Fall about how tours and festivals are folding by the dozen as the market gets oversaturated.

btw, I should clarify that my "ha ha" comment was in reference to fake Trey announcement post above, not a reaction to the thread topic itself.

I am sorry that this tour won't go down because I know some of you were looking forward to it. However, I could tell even by the relative lack of hype about it around here that things weren't looking good for Zooma.

I have to admit, I was never inclined to buy a ticket.

Rumour has it that the average ticket sales for this tour was 1800.

TimmyB - I am sorry that Rachael is so disappointed, I know she was looking forward to seeing BH.

Thanks Marc,

She is going to be disappointed like if I had tickets to see Neil Young and it got cancelled due to a lack of ticket sales. Think about it.

It just goes to show you that touring festivals don't often work in this era of concert going. Especially hippie related touring festivals.

The Furthur was never too successful.

The H.O.R.D.E. had a couple of good years but stopped in 1998, which ironcially enough was when Blues Travelers popularity started diminishing and Bobby Sheehan passed on, may he rest in peace.

And last years Lollapalooza with the String Cheese Incident headlining one of the shows ended up killing one of the most successful multi-act tours in history.

Now the Zooma tour never even has one gig.

From www.billboard.com

At least the Big Summer Classic is selling well. It seems that their eyes weren't bigger than their mouths.

I hope that makes some people happy, I know that Cyberhippie is!

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. May 27, 2005, 10:20 AM ET

Update: Organizers Pull Plug On Zooma Tour

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y. and Ray Waddell, Nashville

The inaugural Zooma tour, which was to be headlined by Trey Anastasio and Ben Harper, has been canceled. Sources say ticket sales were badly underperforming in some markets, but organizers would say only that "due to unforeseen circumstances, it has become clear that it would not be possible to provide [an exceptional] experience at the level initially envisioned."

"Rather than go forward with a tour that falls short of what was conceived, everyone involved has mutually agreed that it is best to cancel the tour altogether," the statement continues.

Zooma was scheduled to run from June 13 to July 31 and feature a high-profile cast of supporting acts, including the Black Keys, Galactic, Gomez, Medeski Martin & Wood and Jurassic 5.

Fans who purchased tickets through Anastasio or Harper's Web sites, as well by Ticketmaster's phone or online outlets, will receive automatic refunds. Tickets obtained via other locations will be refunded at point of purchase.

Anastasio's Web site says the former Phish guitarist is already plotting a new summer tour itinerary. It is also hosting a clip of Anastasio's new band from its first studio session in Nashville earlier this year.

Zooma was the second major jam-band tour to be announced for this summer. As previously reported, the String Cheese Incident will headline the BIG Summer Classic 2005, which will launch with shows July 2-3 at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colo.

Big Summer Classic producers say their tour is still on and selling well. "We're kickin' ass," String Cheese Incident manager Mike Luba tells Billboard.com. "We're projecting that almost everywhere will sell out. But we're playing 10,000 seaters, not 20,000 seaters. We feel like or cost is fair to the promoters, and the ticket prices are fair to the kids."

I heard a rumor from a guy who tried to get replacement Zooma tix (after destroying the originals in the wash) from Ticketbastard. They told him sorry but not to worry becasue soon everyone would be getting a refund. Whne asked why she said it was oing to be cancelled when asked why it was going to be cancelled and if it was due to low ticket sales she replied (After speaking to her manager) no, sales were ok and that it was becaseu one of the "main people" dropped out unexpectently. This rumor came out early yesterday before the annoucement.

I heard a rumor from a guy who tried to get replacement Zooma tix (after destroying the originals in the wash) from Ticketbastard. They told him sorry but not to worry becasue soon everyone would be getting a refund. Whne asked why she said it was oing to be cancelled when asked why it was going to be cancelled and if it was due to low ticket sales she replied (After speaking to her manager) no, sales were ok and that it was becaseu one of the "main people" dropped out unexpectently. This rumor came out early yesterday before the annoucement.

And I have heard this being said around too, but the artist in question was Ben Harper. Although, that still may be a circular explanation, leading right back to poor ticket sales.

Seriously, people were pulling 3rd row centre Pavillion seats for places like Virginia Beach just days ago.

I have also heard some further rumblings, posted here a few days ago, about Trey tweaking his band line-up a little bit before heading back out. Come to think of it, maybe that explains one of the "main artists" pulling out, negating what I just wrote.

In any event, it's all speculation, but the one thing about some rumours is that sometimes they come true. I had been hearing talk of Zooma being cancelled for quite some time now.

Edited by Guest
I am spastic.

my guess is an 'unforeseen' conflict between trey's camp and ben's camp. Not necessarily Trey and Ben themselves, but maybe management or lawyers or something.

That's it for my clever insight, which is not based on anything but my funny little head

Edited by Guest
i am also spastic

what were the ticketmaster charges for each ticket on this one?

The stones tix each had about $20 in TM fees. I can't imagine buying 4 tix and not getting the fees refunded. I smell a great place for a Class Action suit.

The money fans get back include the service charges which as you stated could exceed $20.

The money we do not get back is the handling fee of $1 or $2.