Jambands.ca

Cash For Life lottery - what would you choose?

Basher

We can all dare to dream.

A new lottery launched today where, if you win, you are presented with the following choice:

$1,000 a week for life, or $675,000. The break even point is 13 years. Just wondering which one you would choose?

I think I would take the $1,000 a week for life. It amounts to the equivalent of a $90,000 per yer salary, which after taxes would be close to $52k.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah the 1000 per week would be soo sweet..i know a guy who won this a few years back here in n.b..he was a total douche..took all the money up front...bought this big stupid red neck hick truck to go with his nascar team racing hat and matching jacket.He was shwoing off in the parking lot at a tim hortons..by doing doughnuts in the parking lot..on dry pavement...buddy spun his truck into a huge pole and wrote off the whole thing..funy thing is that buddy's insurance never went through..yet...it was a total loss..hahaa Just thought i'de shar...it looked so good on this red neck fool!

I think I'd take the $675k up front... It would be enough to wisely invest and get settled in a comfortable home. Investment income, even compound interest and real-estate value would probably make up the difference in the long run.

AD

It would be smart for anyone with a half-decent paying job to take the $1000 a week for life, especially if you add that dough to you current salary. It would only take you 4-5 years to make 675,000 - and would be a millionare in less than 10 years. Not bad I say.

I think I'd do the $1000.00 per week. It would keep me out of too much trouble and if I live a nice long life I wouldn't have to worry about pension or supporting myself ever! Even if I'm not responsible for the first 10 years, I would have the opportunity to do it right at some point.

I think I could plow through $685K without difficulty considering the size of my family and my circle of friends that I love to spoil.

I have a ticket.

It would be smart for anyone with a half-decent paying job to take the $1000 a week for life, especially if you add that dough to you current salary. It would only take you 4-5 years to make 675,000 - and would be a millionare in less than 10 years. Not bad I say.
I think I'd do the $1000.00 per week. It would keep me out of too much trouble and if I live a nice long life I wouldn't have to worry about pension or supporting myself ever! Even if I'm not responsible for the first 10 years, I would have the opportunity to do it right at some point.

I think I could plow through $685K without difficulty considering the size of my family and my circle of friends that I love to spoil.

Both very good points. I'm changing my mind. I want a nice house now though!!

AD

Heheh, yes no doubt. But I don't have that cash now, and I can't really see me winning the lottery, but I still want a house NOW. Me wanting a house is separate from the lottery. But a lottery win would definitely help as that would be the first thing I'd buy, besides a tune-up for my car. And possibly a trip to Chile.

AD

I think I would take the $1,000 a week for life. It amounts to the equivalent of a $90,000 per yer salary, which after taxes would be close to $52k.

So it's $1000 clear per week? That would be sweet. Find a job where you can work for just 6 months a year and "really" enjoy the other 6 months.

Incidently, if you took the 700k (yes i'm rounding for simplicity sake) and invested it, it shouln't be too hard to make at least 5% on that a year. 5% of 700k is 35k. Not a bad annual salary for doing nothing, plus you'd be getting compound interest on the principle.

But Bashers figures of 52k per year (after taxes) does sound more attractive. Although what gurantee is there that after 10 years you'd still be getting it? Then again, what gurantee is there that your 700k in investments wouldn't just disapear...

Hmmm....

Hard to say what solution works best. On the one hand if you took the lump sum you'd be paying capital gains on your investments that weren't RRSPs. You could put some of the lump into RRSPs and not pay on them now, which would be good, although most people have a maximum contribution that you'd be well over, even if (as most wookies) you've never made a contribution before. Still with that amount of coin you could set yourself up with an Advisor who would dole out your investments fairly into high, medium and low-risk, and probably help you figure out how to make the most of it. He/She would also make it that much harder for you to waste the money away.

if you take the $1000 per week I'm assuming that is counted as income, even though we don't tax winnings as they do in the states. You'd automatically be in a higher tax bracket and thus pay a higher percentage, but you could also offset that by making RRSP contributions with the extra salary you'd be getting.

Finally there's the cost of inflation. 1000 a week now vs. 20 years from now.

Who's got my heady financial formula to help establish the winner?

Bring

Rationale

And

Deduction

Mang!

Actually, I'm not sure the $1,000/week would be taxed. Either it's $1,000/week as lottery winnings (which aren't taxed), or they take the lump sum money and buy an annuity, which pays out weekly. Since you could also take a lump sum and buy an annuity (paid for with after-tax dollars), and the paid-out money wouldn't be taxed, I doubt the weekly lottery winnings would be taxed.

I did some checking, too: I took $675,000, and calculated it to come out to about $1.83 million after 13 years, compounding yearly at 8%. I then took $1,000/week, and figured out how much it'd be after 13 years, at an 8% annual rate, compounded weekly. Guess what? It also came out to $1.83 million. (I've omitted the formulae for future value of money calculations.)

Aloha,

Brad