Originally posted by scottieking:

A topic I can sink my teeth into

1. Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

3. Villa Incognito - Tom Robbins

4. Life of Pi - Yann Martel

5. and currently reading - Fast Food Nation - Eric Scharrer[sp]

All recommended.

Hey scottieking, looks like we've got some similar reading habbits - I love Vonnegut, and Life of Pi and Fast Food Nation are both on my "must read" list. Nice!

- M.

Just read Siddhartha today- anyone familar? Great stuff, especially if yo're a Seeker

recently finished Bel Ami from Maupassant, some Vonnegut short stories and am working through HST's Proud Highway

Hey Asparagus, Gateaux was telling me about that Shulgin guy and his wife, sounds very interesting

This almost a QotD, but I think I'll toss it up here instead.

Do any of you read fiction (in) magazines? I subscribe to Analog (science fiction and fact), and look forward to getting a dose of new fiction (and short fiction, too, which works well on the bus ride to/from work). Outside of SF, there's very little fiction published in magazines, that I can see.

Aloha,

Brad

Yeah, Siddhartha is a good'un, I read it years ago - way less of a downer than Steppenwolf.

My last five books read:

-Sacred Balance - Suzuki (currently reading), damn fine writing - great ideas

-Never Cry Wolf - Mowatt, fun read, but way too slanted to make his argument very believable

-Hocus Pocus - Vonnegut, oh yeah, read this one

-On The Road - Kerouak, finally got around to this one and loved it, though gotta wonder about someone that would hang out with Dean that long...

-I Corinthians - anon, I highly recommend keeping a copy of the Bible in the can. Sorry for the cliche, but it really is a good book, and very surprising.

A somewhat related question: has anybody ever read The Education of Little Tree by Forrest somebody? More importantly, if you've read it, do you know the sinister background behind it?

Awesome book, seriously spooky cover-up.

Archived