Jambands.ca

Last 5 books you read...

CyberHippie

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

How was this one? I saw the author interviewed on CNN, it looked interesting. (I've got a request for in at the Ottawa Public Library, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.)

The last book I read was Hunter S. Thompson's "Kingdom Of Fear". Good Thompson, his closest to autobiography so far, but it needs a good editor to arrange it more coherently.

Aloha,

Brad

Since my return from the Rockies I've been only reading Anne Rice(I guess I'm a freak for her erotica/vampire stories)

Blood and Gold-Story of Marius

Queen of the Damned

Tale of the body thief

The Witching Hour-I found this one hard to finish...she goes on and on and on and on...

Interview with the Vampire

I've read more, but that's the first 5 that popped into my head. All recomended. The witching hour is VERY long and takes forever to get to the point but the story itself is quite interesting.

Dark moon - David Gemmell

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown: This book rocks!!!

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

The stone Monkey - Jeffrey Deaver

American Gods - Neil Gaiman: This book also rocks!!!

The DaVinci Code would be my "pick"...a combination of mystery, suspense, secret societies, and art history!!!! Its like the YEM of suspense! [big Grin]

Jon

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

The DaVinci Code would be my "pick"...a combination of mystery, suspense, secret societies, and art history!
!!!
Its like the YEM of suspense!
[big Grin]

Jon

OK, that's two Sanctuarians who've read this book; I now can't wait.

It sounds like it's in the same vein (and/or mines the same territory) as Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", which I've read a couple of times and like a lot.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad M - Think of Da Vinci's Code as Foucault's Pendulum Lite. That book (Foucault's) is still one of the most challenging books I've ever read. I've always described it as the steak of books. You have to chew and chew....It is on my re-read list for sure.

Mr Musicface - Indeed, it would seem we have some similiar tastes. We have to make more of an effort to find each other at a show soon. I've taken it upon myself over the past few years to seek out any and all Vonneguts's in their earliest forms at used book stores. Nothing pissed me off more when they "over-sized" them. I've almost got them all now and have almost read'em too!

TWO Neil Gaiman fans! Musicface, I've not heard of the one you've read. Americian Gods was pretty good, but I wasn't thrilled with the ending, Jon. Cool concept though. I guess nothing he can do will ever match his Sandman body of work (did you hear he has a new comic coming out this summer, for Marvel, with Marvel characters called 1602? Weird, but I'll bite)

And a big thank-you to those who offered to send books and stuff as I recovered. I'm well taken over and well stocked but thanks so much nonetheless.

In no particular order, five books I've read and enjoyed in the past six months...or perhaps longer:

1) A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

2) TiHKAL - Dr. Alexander Shulgin and Ann Shulgin

3) Still Life with Woodpecker - Tom Robbins

4) A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

5) A Star Called Henry - Roddy Doyle

Currently reading The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.

-The Clouded Lepoard - Wade Davis

-Neil & Me - Scott Young

-The Color out of space - H.P.Lovecraft

-The Snow Walker - Farley Mowat

-Tarantula - Robert Zimmerman*

*Although I re-read this one every once in awhile.

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

We have to make more of an effort to find each other at a show soon. I've taken it upon myself over the past few years to seek out any and all Vonneguts's in their earliest forms at used book stores. Nothing pissed me off more when they "over-sized" them. I've almost got them all now and have almost read'em too!

Yeh, I have some early copies of "Galapagos" & "Cat's Cradle" kicking around somewhere... the later I think I stole from my high school library about 15 years ago! [Razz][Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

If you're in the Toronto area and are looking for used/rare SF/fantasy/horror, I highly recommend Jamie Fraser Books. They're on Queen St. W. near Spadina, upstairs, and have an amazing selection, including a lot of first editions, signed copies, etc.

I did a quick search for Vonnegut, and got a lot of entries.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

The DaVinci Code would be my "pick"...a combination of mystery, suspense, secret societies, and art history!
!!!
Its like the YEM of suspense!
[big Grin]

Jon

OK, that's two Sanctuarians who've read this book; I now can't wait.

It sounds like it's in the same vein (and/or mines the same territory) as Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", which I've read a couple of times and like a lot.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey, would you dudes recommend reading Angels & Demons first? I was just checking it out and it says that Da Vinci Code is a sequel.

Here's my latest few (and some other select favourites):

1. The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway

2. Chump Change - David Eddie (local writer)

3. The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay

4. (currently reading) The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

5. (currently reading) A Literary Guide To Toronto - Greg Gatenby (this one's all about famous writers who have lived here or visited, and it describes what homes they lived in, you can even do a walking tour even with book in hand)

Here are some books that I've already read, but seem to be re-reading as I continue work on the novel I'm writing (which come highly recommended):

In the Skin of the Lion (Ondaatje), The Favourite Game (Leonard Cohen), Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (James Joyce)

BTW, go see Hiway Freeker this Friday at Clinton's......

greasyfizeek

1. Lord of The Rings (Finally)

2. Pilgrim - Timothy Findley

3. Maya - Jostein Gaarder

4. English Passengers - Matthew Kneale

5. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking.

I just picked up "The Elegant Universe" a few weeks back. It's next.

Margaret Atwood - The Robber Bride

Joseph Heller - Portrait of the Artist, As an Old Man

Jonathan Safran Foer - Everything Is Illuminated

Dave Eggers - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Hey, interesting question! I read pretty slow and I'm usually reading magazines and stuff moreso than books, but here's I think my last 5:

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory

by Brian Greene

The Beer Hunter

by Michael Jackson (no, not that Michael Jackson!)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett

John Glenn: A Memoir

by John Glenn

The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen, and the Head-On Collision of Rock and Commerce

by Fred Goodman

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived