Jambands.ca

Butch/Jaimoe vs. Mickey/Bill

dJEd

i've always enjoyed this debate even if theres nothing to debate. Jaimoe and Butch own the Rhythm Devils.

dont get me wrong i love a lot of those Set 2 Drums. but i love the drums from Mtn Jam more.

remember Instrumental Illness from MolsAmph Summer 03? the drums hushed the whole crowd, even the drunk old farts who were yelling about some fucking Skynyrd show they saw when they had a clue, shut up. everyone just sat there while those 3 wankers destroyed any thought someone tried to form for 10-15 minutes of sick drums wickedness.

at least thats the way i remember it.

My favourite Dead era is without Mickey. The Dead managed fine with just Bill. I don't like Space/Drums, but I'll always appreciate Mickey for contributing the great song Fire On The Mountain, one of my all-time favs. Both guys work well together, but it's not the drums I pay attention to in the Grateful Dead.

I love Jaimoe and Butch and have grown to understand the dynamics that they've brought to the overall sound of the ABB. They are rooted in rock/jazz and blues and I love their driving, pounding rhythms, which add power and texture to songs that one drummer could not.

Tell me more about this Steely Dan bootleg.

And Jaimoe, I'm with you - while I do love all eras of the Grateful Dead, my favourite years are '72-'74. They could really change directions on a dime with just one drummer. I sure do like Drumz/Space, though...

I am a pure lover of the post-Mickey Mouse era........Jer and Phil really were enabled to show their love of jazz during the improv/jam sections, but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING touches those two gents when they went on their Drumz excursions.

Heck, the saving grace for the post 2000 shows I saw was the Drumz segment.

I facking LOVE the Beam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of which, 03-24-95, as they are departing the stage while Vince and Bob start up, Mickey Mouse gave the Beam a big kick for good measure, which reverberated enough to almost knock me down.

For that alone, Mickey Mouse and Kreutzman blow away Butch and Jaimoe............

Edited by Guest
re-read spelling error

I am a pure lover of the post-Mickey Mouse era........Jer and Phil really were enabled to show their love of jazz during the improv/jam sections, but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING touches those two gents when they went on their Drumz excursions.

Heck, the saving grace for the post 2000 shows I saw was the Drumz segment.

I facking LOVE the Beam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of which, 03-24-95, as they are departing the stage while Vince and Bob start up, Mickey Mouse gave the Beam a big kick for good measure, which reverberated enough to almost knock me down.

For that alone, Mickey Mouse and Kreutzman blow away Butch and Jaimoe............

what he said.

mickey and bill are the reasons why i play drums :)

Tell me more about this Steely Dan bootleg.

I got it from DimeADozen.org (formerly EasyTree). It's a liberated bootleg called Metal Leg. Two one-disc shows from 3/9 and 3/10/74. The band sounds real hot.

If you want a copy Private Topic me your address.

Thanks to Rob Not Bob for the tip.

Del, yeah the Dead were better but we're only talking drum duos.

i have to agree with Deranger and say that 'drums' are far less focused and out there and yes at times "2 guys hitting things" whereas the ABB boys were focused and driving. 2 cents

i'll take ABB 69-71 over a lot of GD. i was obsessed with the Duane-era for like 3 yrs straight. i have more Duane stuff than GD in my collection. excluding burns or course.

Meh - focussed and driving? Sounds like the Conservatives. They get lots done (trains running on time and all that), but everything interesting, tentative, and unusual in life gets ground under the heel in the interests of a bunch of guys with hard-ons for power. Note I didn't use the phrase cock-rock.

No comment on Butch and Jaimoe, I have to add, since I've never actually heard them, but I have to presume, given the dichotomy that seems to have been established in this thread, that they're not given to meandering, which for me is the whole point of the Dead - the willingness to take risks, to be human, to explore, with all the resources of deep and sincere musicianship at their disposal, and with an audience that was willing to put up with all those risks.

But never mind me; beer+sun=rambling.

"remember Instrumental Illness from MolsAmph Summer 03?"

This was definitely the highlight of the '03 Toronto ABB show for me ... Instrumental Illness is a great song, and the drum jam that accompanied it was mind-blowing.

Maybe I was seeing things, but with the ABB, it's not a two person drum jam, but a three person affair, including percussionist Marc Quinones. Read about Marc Q. here:

link to Marc Q bio

The Dead, Mickey & Bill ... I've always thoroughly enjoyed the live drumz & space experience ... it's refreshing to hear musicians exploring and trying to reach beyond existing musical boundaries ... I don't usually enjoy listening to a recording of it though.

Peace, Mark