Jambands.ca

poster restoration?

Tenenbaum

Probably depends what skank you find who's desperate for his/her own copy of a vintage 200 Motels poster (count me among them). But having said that, and realising where you live, it does present some logistical (what's a word besides) challenges, if you need a hard copy to work from. Just how big is, btw?

Can you put up a mini version of said poster, for our titilation?

I have the "Phi Zappa Crappa" framed under plexiglass. It used to hang in an autoshop bathroom and is covered in many curious stains. I wouldn'd restore it for anything, there's a wealth of human DNA there just begging to be left at a crime scene.

I'd get it dry-mounted if I were you. Not sure what it would cost. IF it's 3 x 2' I reckon it would cost about $75.

If by dry mount you mean the same as "plak-it" type stuff be careful...

I used to do this, but I've noticed a few of the older ones are looking a little ragged on the corners etc. Now I'm waiting til I got the dough for proper frames...

I'd get it dry-mounted if I were you. Not sure what it would cost. IF it's 3 x 2' I reckon it would cost about $75.

If by dry mount you mean the same as "plak-it" type stuff be careful...

I used to do this' date=' but I've noticed a few of the older ones are looking a little ragged on the corners etc.

[/quote']

Yes, 'plak-it' being the popular brand of dry-mounting. I think that if the poster is already krinkled and creased, dry-mounting would be a good option. A proper frame would still show all the creases. As for the edges lifting, I think that may have a lot to do with moisture. If it is kept good and dry it should be good for good. I got a big Woodstock poster, about six feet long, dry-mounted about 10 years ago or so and it's still in perfect condition.

[color:green]I have an old Pink Floyd concert poster from the In The Flesh Tour when they played at Le Stade Olympique July 6th $10.00. I am not sure if it is rare but it is big and Pink and has alot of french words on it. It shows the crowd with the big pink pig flying over head. I would like to get it framed but I am thinking it is going to cost me about $200-300 to get a nice frame with glass. Right now it is taped up on the wall.

That 200 Motels Poster must be pretty sweet! pos26.jpg

I'd really look hard into the negatives to restoring original concert/film posters.

I'm pretty sure that if you restore a poster, you could lessen the poster's value.

I have tons of great original cult film and concert posters and I wouldn't get them restored.

I'd really look hard into the negatives to restoring original concert/film posters.

I'm pretty sure that if you restore a poster, you could lessen the poster's value.

I have tons of great original cult film and concert posters and I wouldn't get them restored.

But the value on your wall won't change...

If a poster is plaqued, the value can drop significantly. Now, if you're not planning on selling it, who cares?

Plaqued posters look sweet, but one slip off the wall and the corners are fucked forever.

Tenenbaum, how large are we talking here? You could get someone ;) to do copy work of the poster and retouch it digitally. You'd then just have to get it printed.* You could then display your copy and safely store your original. HOWEVER, keep in mind that you can be charged approx. $5000 for each photograph you copy without permission. I'm sure with originaly artwork the fine is similar (if not exceptionally higher). Best keep talk of copyright infringement in PMs. Let me know if you feel like breaking any laws.

*Please do not sell these prints! Copying something for your own use is one thing...profitting off of someone else's work is deplorable.