Jambands.ca

Wilco Review

AD

The brilliant thing about MMJ: They know how to play a room... the use of the natural acoustics is the most subtley impressive thing I get from these dudes... What great rockers... great quiet to loud tunes... 50 lbs. of head hair for sure.

MMJ was up in the balcony stage right for most of Wilco... they were just drinking it up!

5/5

yar.

~W

I was more excited for MMJ than Wilco going in last night since I've seen Wilco play lots over the past years and I've only seen MMJ twice (at Bonnaroos), but after Wilco's incredible 9-star set, I have completely forgotten about MMJ.

Wilco was hot last night... Even Jeff was in a good mood, lots of banter, some arm gentures in songs... The setlist was soo good. Only complaint is Spiders (Kidsmoke)... If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it finished the first encore. Bad place for that song, IMO. Plus I hate the new album arrangement. If anyone's heard the original arrangement (for example from the April 2002 tour), it is infinitely better, less meandering and more thought-out.

Nels Cline is a wicked guitar player to watch. Next show I want a soundboard feed just from him, I think that would be mind blowing. He played 4 or 5 songs on the lap steel which had me hoping and praying for One By One, but they didn't go for it. But I am still totally happy.

In conclusion, I've seen Wilco I think 7 times since before Summerteeth, and this was hands down BIIIIG UPS, waaaay past the best I have ever seen them play.

Blane, I would sure love to hear the tapes if it turned out well....

The Metropolis Sauna was gross last night though. One in our party got heatstroke and was a mumbling stumbling pile of sweat and clumsiness after the show. They should get some better ventilation in there soon.... All you going to MMW on Saturday please stay super-hydrated.

AD

Only complaint is Spiders (Kidsmoke)... If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) it finished the first encore. Bad place for that song, IMO.

I agree AD...an odd place to stick in Spiders (Kidsmoke). Probably better near the beginning of a jammy 2nd set, if you ask me.

I remember reading an article a few weeks ago where Tweedy mentioned playing around more with songs like Spiders on this tour. He mentioned it had a lot of potential to change up or really jam. Just wondering, how did it sound? Was it any different? While I like that song, I sometimes find it a little too repetitive on the album. I always thought it would rock live though. Just wondered what you thought. :)

Meh, it was long and repetitive. Tweedy was wanking it up good, Nels was playing with his electronics a lot.... It sounded like all the other album-versions of Kidsmoke I've heard, maybe a little bit more intense and loud... Nothing groundbreaking...

Perhaps if someone can host a file I'll put up an mp3 of the original version so people can see why I hate the new version...... Any takers? (It won't be at least until this afternoon / evening though)

AD

Thanks AD! I was so curious after reading that comment from Tweedy. I didn't get why he was so excited about that particular song (a weaker link on the album, IMHO). I hope you got to hear Muzzle of Bees.

Anyone got a setlist? I am so jealous of you guys right now! ;)

Setlists will get posted on WilcoBase later this morning I'm betting... There were some nice suprises though, Airline to Heaven, I Shall be Released, .... Hmmm... Can't really piece it all together... I'll wait for the setlist. But Kingpin was my highlight. Along with Nels.

I forgot to mention the biggest news of all: Jim James got a haircut!!

AD

I thought spiders kicked ass.

Setlist:

D1:

1. Shot in the Arm

2. Handshake Drugs

3. Sunken Treasure

4. Company in my Back

5. War on War

6. Hell is Chrome

7. Airline to Heaven

8. Break your Heart

9. Heavy Metal Drummer

10. At Least That's What you Said

11. Muzzle of Bees

12. Theologians

13. Radio Cure

14. Always in Love

15. I'm the Man who Loves You

16. Hummingbird

D2:

ENCORE 1:

1. Misunderstood

2. Forget the Flowers

3. Late Greats

4. Kingpin

5. Jesus, etc.

6. Spiders/Kidsmoke

ENCORE 2:

7. Hesitating Beauty

8. I'm a Wheel

9. Too Far Apart

10. I Shall be Released

SBD to circulate shortly for wilco, FOB audience for MMJ ;)

My faves were Sunken Treasure, Muzzle, Misunderstood, Forget the Flowers, Kingpin, SPiders, fuck tons of them. Really kicked ass.

Edited by Guest

That had to be the best concert Ive been too. It was my first time seeing wilco and they impressed. I was right up front and was memorized by the guitar player Nels. My favorites for the night were, shot in the arm, heavy metal drummer, Misunderstood and kingpin.

Cheers,

Jake

Heheh, ever seen or heard Nels Cline play?

This year alone he's playing on records from the Scott Amendola Band, Lydia Lunch, Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore, and the Nels Cline Singers...

I think he's playing (or has played already) the Victoriaville Musique Actuelle festival this summer... But I bet Blane could tell you way more about Nels Cline than me.

AD

Heheh, ever seen or heard Nels Cline play?

This year alone he's playing on records from the Scott Amendola Band, Lydia Lunch, Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore, and the Nels Cline Singers...

I think he's playing (or has played already) the Victoriaville Musique Actuelle festival this summer... But I bet Blane could tell you way more about Nels Cline than me.

AD

I have heard him play and I'd take Neil over him any day... And for the record, I've never heard of a single one of those bands you mentioned... Just because he's in a lot of bands doesn't mean he's any better than someone who only plays in one or two bands...

I had never heard of Nels Cline, other then reading he joined wilco, until yesterday and was amazed with the sounds he could produce with his guitar. Before the show started I was talking to a guy who telling me about him and also said that he follows him around and trys to see him as often as he could. After the concert I fully understood what he was talking about him. I was right up against the stage to the side of Nels Cline and was amazed at what he could do live.

cheers,

Jake