Jambands.ca

Mark Knopfler Review - NAC in Ottawa

Booche

As we travel along our journey, many of us will experience living legends. A number of months ago, I downloaded a Dire Straits concert from 1985 and recalled the joy they brought to me in high school. Within three songs, I made a promise to go see one of my all-time favourite guitarists at the next opportunity. Thankfully I didnt have to wait long as the stars aligned where he would pass through the city I call home. Mark Knopfler graced the stage at the National Arts Center this past Sunday, forever leaving his footprint on my musical quest. He is a musician that has had more of an impact on me than I had ever realized, until I was able to witness his craft. The subtly of his playing combined with the ferociousness of emotion emitted within, made me wonder why I ever skipped previous tours by Dire Straits or his solo endeavours.

The lack of security was profound as I entered the venue. I could have snuck in a pound of shrooms, a kilo of yayo, an uzi and my own brother. Considering it was 7:40 and the start time was 8:00, I was surprised when the usher told me that the doors were not open. I decided to grab a seven dollar Stella and people watch, as I gulped and sipped my beer. Truth be told, a worry persisted that the volume may not be well received via these ears as I watched the older crowd mill about. Thankfully, this was definitely a rock concert.

The train bells rang, warning us to take our seats. Within 20 minutes the house lights went down to a glorious scream from the participants in their seats. The band took the stage to a white glow as we all gave our hearty welcome to Ottawa. Mark waved, greeted and thanked us as he stepped right into the reason everyone aside from the employees were there. I was somewhat displaced, not knowing what to expect, while realizing the man I had endeared for so long was only a baseball's throw away. Why Aye Man and Walk Of Life were our entry points to his current Shangri-La tour. Two songs later, I was 1 for 4 in the 'song recognition' category, but everything felt like a home I had been to. Knopfler is a very stylistic player that is easily recognizable as his own. Be it tone, scales or whatever you want to call it, you know it is him and no one else.

His backing band consisted of 5 musicians that were multi-instrumentalists. 2 key players, bass, guitar and drums. There was a constant barrage of changes between tunes from stand-up bass, to piano, to mandolin, to accordion to the cup of tea that was slurped upon. From that to a resonator guitar (call it a National if you will, its what he called it) and all the other ones that they brought with him. Forever be damned if I don't love that red Fender he plays. Speaking of the resonator, Romeo and Juliet came out as their 5th song and I was as completely chilled as the Dom Perignon, on ice, the band deserved after the show. It seemed as though the sound in the venue was found at the very same moment as my musical peak was attained, only to remain at the edge of my seat until the very end.

Sultans Of Swing seemed like such an obvious number next, and I almost complained until I realized this wasn't the second encore, nor was it going to be whatever standardized version I may have expected. This was the real deal. Everyone showed their chops as I became acutely aware that everyone in this band can play off and with each other. You want yourselves a jamband? Look no further. Up until now, I had no idea what these guys could really do. Understandably, the majority of the crowd was confused. I never felt more at home. There were a few yelps and hollers, here and there, as folks recognized familiar licks. I doubt anyone reading this would mistake the signature outro-riffing Mark does, so at one point, Mark toys with it for a few seconds, elicits a mini-major uproar and cools right out of it, only to continue the improvisation until everyone was damn good and ready. A few millenniums later, he slowly made his way to the bass player, made eye contact with the drummer, locked into the other guitarist and hit the outro. Most everyone in attendance got what they paid for.

As complete darkness befell between tunes, it was apparent something was different this time. "Why is this taking so long?" I wondered as the cast of stage hands ran around the stage. A mini-drum kit had been moved to stage left and the band was about to perform from a 'somewhat' acoustic perspective. The next four songs mellowed the crowd as it slowed the band down to a much needed breather. Combing through folk stylings, blues and everything in between, the softness of the playing was uplifting. A full night of that and I would have been satisfied.

Deciding to head back to some rock and roll, Knopfler told us he was going to perform a couple of more new songs before they did some "period pieces". Boom, Like That and Speedway Of Nazareth were both delivered with much intensity, the later being rather explosive, until we softly fell into Telegraph Road, which was the highlight of the show. The piano was the only thing coming from the stage at one point, and one felt as if a pin dropped, we would all hear it. The place seemed to scream in its quiet lull as the crowd listened to the accomplished playing. The song climaxed into a ferocious finish that had the place wildly cheering. Truly, an inspired and phenomenal version which was easily the best I have ever heard.

The 3 song encore consisted of Brothers In Arms tunes, appropriately enough beginning with a sublime reading of Brothers In Arms. The ultimate guitar riff in Money For Nothing came blowing through the speaker stacks, satisfying many in the crowd that had fully expected its inclusion. So Far Away ended the night, while reminding everyone of the many great songs Mark Knopfler has written during his career.

This is a very ambitious and long tour for Knopfler and the rest of his mates. It began in February, but does not end until the last day of July. Thanks to his Ottawa visit, I plan to delve into Mark's solo career. Realistically, downloading more than 1 or 5 shows from this tour wont happen since most setlists are almost identical but I cant wait for the hidden gems within his non-Dire Straits releases. The band may have fallen from fashion, but their leader has remained on top of his game, still writing and producing hauntingly dramatic music.

251-5136_IMG.jpg

251-5148_IMG.jpg

252-5265_IMG.jpg

252-5277_IMG.jpg

252-5287_IMG.jpg

Hey Booche,

That was a great review! Also good pictures too.

I unfortunately did not see Dire Straits, but I was lucky enough to see Mark Knopfler for the first time front row at Massey Hall on May 3, 2001 (Two of the songs from that night "Sailing to Philadelphia" and "Brothers in Arms" appear on the bonus disc to Knopfler's 2002 album 'The Ragpicker's Dream.' And one song, "Speedway at Naxareth" appears on his 'Why Aye Man' CD Single. The crowd cheering for the Toronto line and the outro solo gives me chills everytime.).

I was quite sade when Knopfler had to cancell his 2003 tour due to a motorcycle accident that he had. His condition was downplayed by the media at the time as later it was stated that he nearly died.

Tonight (July 5, 2005) I'll be seeing him again at the Molson Amphitheatre and I can't wait to get the new material off of 'Shangri-La' as well as 'The Ragpicker's Dream.'

The Knoplfer show I saw in 2001 was easily one of the best shows I have ever attended in my life. I vividly remember not being able to stop smiling for nearly the entire gig. I recall that my mouth actually hurt after the show!

If you feel like getting some of Knopfler's solo material start with his second album 'Sailing to Philadelphia' (2000), which stands out as his solo masterpiece. I feel the album is as great as any Dire Straits album.

The rest of his albums 'Golden Heart' (1996), 'The Ragpicker's Dream' (2002)(Try and get a copy with the bonus disc of four live songs, including the two from Massey Hall) and 'Shangri-La' (2004) (Try and get a copy with the bonus DVD of the making of 'Shangri-La' at Shangri-La studios where Bob Dylan and the transformed the Bands home to a studio to record 'Planet Waves,' also there the Band recorded 'Northern Lights-Southern Cross,' Neil Young & Crazy Horse recorded 'Zuma' and Eric Clapton recorded 'No Reason to Cry.') are all excellent, especially in the way the Knopfler has developed as a storyteller.

Knopfler has for the most part kept his solo band intact. They, minus Knopfler and Guy Fletcher who was in the last lineup for Dire Straits, are all from Nashville, TN session players and when you see them live it shows!

Anyone else going to the Molson Amphitheatre show tonight?

Edited by Guest

I saw Dire Straits 20 years ago this month at the Ottawa Civic Centre, with Stevie Ray Vaughan opening.

Missed the NAC show on Sunday but I'm glad you enjoyed it Booche! You write a great review.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins and all, but I have to say that I'm green with envy that I wasn't at that gig. I mean Dire Straits backed by SRV!

I never got to see SRV live and I will always regret that, may he rest in peace.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins and all, but I have to say that I'm green with envy that I wasn't at that gig. I mean Dire Straits backed by SRV!

I never got to see SRV live and I will always regret that, may he rest in peace.

Ha! Well I'm envious of you seeing Neil Young umpteen times!

I saw SRV twice, both times in opening roles - for Dire Straits in '85 and for Robert Plant in '88.

I remember that Dire Straits show well. It was the hottest day of the summer. "Money for Nothing" was big on the radio at the time but the highlight of that concert was "Telegraph Road". SRV's opening set quite a bit longer that you'd expect for an opening band. He played well over an hour.

So other than Basher's dad is there anyone else going to see Mark Knopfler at the Molson Amphitheatre tonight?

FYI Knopfler is also performing in London on July 7, 2005 at the JLC for those in that area that love Dire Straits and/or Knopfler.

Mark Knoplfer performed a very similar set in Toronto to the one he played in Ottawa.

Either way it was amazing, he is easily one of my favorite guitarist and songwriters. Though if Knopfler changed even four or five songs of his set from night to night I would be in London on July 7th seeing him again. Instead I'm more than content to waiting until the next tour.

The only difference that I could see for the Toronto set was that Knopfler after "So Far Away" played two instrumental numbers that appeared on the soundtrack to 'Local Hero.' The songs were "The Mist Covered Mountains" into "Wild Theme."

"The only difference that I could see for the Toronto set was that Knopfler after "So Far Away" played two instrumental numbers that appeared on the soundtrack to 'Local Hero.'"

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

That's sweet.

I was happy that Knopfler performed some soundtrack work, which has been a kind of hidden part to his amazing career.

Each time I've seen Knopfler I have had either a smile that I couldn't wipe off my face even if I wanted to, or I was shaking my head in amazement.

Edited by Guest