Jambands.ca

Ottawa's restaurant scene

M.O.B.E

I've been lookin for a new job and in my search alot of places from Ottawa keep comin up...I was just wonderin what the fine dining scene in Ottawa is like...are the places smaller bistros or bigger high volume restaurants?? don't think i want to go down the hotel route again but if anyone has any info about the classy joints I'd be grateful...thnx Steve

one place I am interested in is Sodexho they had a good offer for me...anyone ever tried it??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sodexho, as far as I can tell is an industrial type catering firm. They have the cafeteria contract at my office. I've never heard of them outside of this context.

If you're moving somewhere for food - don't come to Ottawa. The restaurant scene here is WEAK.

There are two killer french restaurants in Chelsea - l'Oree du Bois and Les Fougeres. You have to be fully bilingual for either. I can guarantee the $$ there would be killer.

There are 'cool' places to go eat and have a drink but the food is usually unremarkable and overpriced (with a few exceptions, I'm sure - although I have yet to find them).

You could have fun working at any number of bistro type restaurants around Ottawa. I wouldn't call any of them fine dining though.

Then again, I'm a food snob.

I love the restaurants in Ottawa.

The Eclectic Noodle in Sandy Hill for pasta

Soupe Herbe (or whatever it's called) in Old Chelsea for veggie stuff

Black Thorn

Black Tomato

Oh So Good for desserts

Troquet (in Hull)

Medithéo

Green Papaya (Thai)

There are crazy amounts of good restaurants here, this is just a partial list. My wallet doesn't let me check out as many as I want.

Haven't eaten there yet but the menu for Metropolitain looks excellent.

AD

My fave for fine dining in Ottawa is Domus. I agree with Tom that there are a lot of crap pseudo-fine dining establishments that charge a lot of money but don't deliver the goods. I'm thinking of places like Social.

Bekta is another fine dining spot that gets raves. I've been there once and it was pretty great but can't comment on their consistency.

Black Cat Wine Bar can be awesome or just ok.

I'm a food snob too but I think the scene is slowly getting better.

Anyone tried the new Metropolitain on the Daly site?

Anyone tried the new Metropolitain on the Daly site?

That's my next place to visit. I went on the opening weekend for a martini, it was good. Menu looked good. A little pricey for me, but I can swing it I think. And my girlfriend's brother is the sous-chef there as well. WOuld like to try it out very soon, so if you go Ollie, please post your opinion...

Never been to Domus, just the store. Would definitely like to though, a bit out of my league though.

AD

I don't want to hijack this thread but while we're discussing Ottawa restaurants, anybody got any recommendations for cheaper-but-unique eats there?

My girlfriend and I will be in Ottawa at the end of the month and would love to try a couple of authentic, affordable and unique places off the beaten track, although they must have vegetarian options for Laurie.

Booche recommended Works and sent me the menu. That place looks crazy!

But is there just that one place in Ottawa that makes, say, Mexican food (or whatever) that is just mind-blowing (and relatively cheap)?

Edited by Guest

My girl and I will be in Ottawa at the end of the month and would love to try a couple of authentic, affordable and unique places off the beaten track, although they must have vegetarian options for Laurie.

Govinda's on Somerset East offers a vegetarian Indian buffet for $8... $5 if you're a student.

I love talking about food. We need a dedicated food forum.

And my girlfriend's brother is the sous-chef there as well.

any chance of a hookup?? I'll send you my resume and portfolio

Probably not, no. Sorry. Him and I are not that tight yet, and I would feel awkward bringing it up to be honest.

I know Kinki has some pretty crazy staff turnaround, same with Luxe and Eighteen. If you can do sushi or 'asian-fusion,' Kinki would be interested in anyone right about now.

AD

I just saw that eclectic noodle place recently AD.. gunna hafta check it out.

Cream sauces there are delicious but pretty heavy. If you're sensitive to dairy stay away from the cream.

But it is all soooo delicious. Small restaurant, can maybe sit 20-25 at a time, reservations are pretty much required. Great food though.

AD

First of all, go here: www.egullet.org. You'll love those forums and there's a Toronto/Ottawa forum where you should pose your question...plenty of industry folks are using it (including the manager of infusion bistro who I got in a heated debate with because of a grammatical oversight on his menu that said "Roast Beef served with au jus"...but that's neither here nor there)

Secondly, if you worked at Rain, I'd say Beckta would be the best fit and probably closest to what you're looking to do food-wise. It's the best restaurant in Ottawa on this side of the bridge.

And third, I hate to say it but TomFoolery is right. There are a few exceptions to the rule but many of Ottawa's restaurant "districts" such as Elgin Street and the Glebe have more shite than good. The best food district in my opinion is in Chinatown and that's not because of So Good Restaurant. It's becuase of all the Banh Mi sandwich places, the Dim Sum and Caribbean Flavours.

Good Luck. I sort of envy you because I love food, although if I worked in that industry I would probably lose the love that a home chef has.

those were directed at dude looking to work in a fusion/ haute kitchen.

marco- def. check out the works. roses indian restaurant is great and fair. i think so good is great, especially for vegetarian, green door too except its definitley not cheap... good mexican- go to either the original lone star cafe on baseline (tex mex), or Pancho Villa on Elgin. Heres a couple great sites..

OTTAWA FOOD CHEAP EATS

Restaurant Thing is one of my favourite web sites for killing time. Yeah, most of the reviews are inane and petty but I love the fact that it gets updated so regularly. Look for me in the forums.

I was a big eGullet lurker a few years ago, before it began taking itself too seriously. Definitely worth a look.

Somewhat tangentially related, anyone else loving Gordon Ramsay on Hell's Kitchen?

I don't want to hijack this thread but while we're discussing Ottawa restaurants, anybody got any recommendations for cheaper-but-unique eats there?

My girl and I will be in Ottawa at the end of the month and would love to try a couple of authentic, affordable and unique places off the beaten track, although they must have vegetarian options for Laurie.

Booche recommended Works and sent me the menu. That place looks crazy!

But is there just that one place in Ottawa that makes, say, Mexican food (or whatever) that is just mind-blowing (and relatively cheap)?

Not Mexican but:

Stoneface Dolly's

2 locations. 1 on Bronson, one on Preston (new with more seating) You'll get very unique meals and they are delicious as fuck.

We had Mexican on Wellington st. I can't remember the name but it was by far the best mex food I have experienced here. Also for unique, check out the Horn of Africa for ethiopian cuisine on Rideau. NO FORKS!

Edited by Guest