Jambands.ca

This is slightly gross..

ReDD

thanks for the info!

first ingredients on IAMS dry food for kittens: chicken, chicken by-product meal, corn grits (ew waffle house anyone) and corn meal.

hmmm...

just bought a little gato and they only had IAMS at the shelter... one good thing about this company though, is that they donate lots of food to the SPCA. i guess if it's not healthy it becomes kind of a toss-up.. but SPCA needs all the donations it can get.

this kitty likes to supplement her diet with flies, so she should be getting enough protein ;)

Ahh meggo great to hear that you adopted a cat. I found one of mine and the other I saved from my sister..LOL.

Your right. Iams does do alot of good things. They also used to have very great food. Livingstoned hit the head on the nail when he talked about cutting corners to mass produce. I'm just not an Iams supporter.

ignoring lazlo's post above, we get back on track...

I found it really sad when our vet stopped reommending IAMs and to then see that company swing into high-marketing gear...

Where did other people get their pets, I'm wondering?

Ten years ago, this summer, we got Fergus (a stunning Russina Blue-- who could win TONS of accolades if only he weren't so neurotic -- but, hey being found mother-abandooned near the 8 lane CN tracks in TO might do that to ya!) at the Humane Society's "Scratch 'n' Dent" bin. He was suffering from an Upper Repsitory Infection, so his adoption was half-price. We were given his meds, but no guarntee he'd make it. He was such a scaredy-cat for the first 3 years of his life, most people who visited assumed we were making him up, because he'd disappear from sight at the first foreign sound.

Anyway, sure sounds like there are alot of animal-lovers on here who take care of their pets -- it makes me smile, so thanks!

ReDD - thanks for the info...interesting though I just went to check the bag and remembered that I have his food in a container and throw the bag out so I thought I'd check the website but oh wait not one of the websites (various science diet foods each with their own page or it would seem) not one of them works...now that's a strange coincidence.

Anyway I will be sure to check the bag next visit to the store or at least check back on the web (if they even list the ingredients online) but yes I really appreciate the long detailed post! I am going to become obsessed with this again for a while I suppose but better to be safe then sorry.

I got my cat from an old roommate her cat got out and in turn got knocked up so I took one so that old roommate thinks I am completely nuts about spending all this money on expensive cat food she claims "its a cat if it were outside it would eat garbage and birds and whatnot..." anyway I disagree I think that animals are healthier today because like everything else the more we know the better...I hope anyway. It is really annoying to me that my vet would ok the science diet when I was sooooooo vocal about making the right food choice to keep him as healthy as possible etc, etc. and annoying that I think because it is one of the more expensive ones that it is better...eeek just like everything else I suppose. I will chalk the vet part up to what ReDD said about vets only having little training on nutrition.

Where did other people get their pets, I'm wondering?

Monty I found in a parking lot all alone and rubbing at my feet. I put up a few signs hoping someone would claim him. I guess Monty was meant to be mine. He's also a Blue Russian. Grey from the tip of his nose to his foot pads.

I had another 2 grey guys around before Monty. Gus I had as a kid when I lived with my dad. He has his leg broken as a kitten and as the result of his cast being took off he had a bow leg. Such a good natured cat. Then there was Diablo who my father sent to me after Gus had died. Diablo was Gus's kitten. He lived with me at my mothers but when I moved he had to stay there as he wasn't an indoor cat. He disapeared one day. We still don't know what happened to him. Since I have had 3 grey cats I have came to think of them as my familiars. Monty fit in just perfectly.

Now Murphy thats a whole other story :)

Anyway I will be sure to check the bag next visit to the store or at least check back on the web (if they even list the ingredients online) but yes I really appreciate the long detailed post! I am going to become obsessed with this again for a while I suppose but better to be safe then sorry.

I'm glad you understood my ramblings. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to pm me. :)

My Cat Sleeps in Her water dish. Does anyone elses Cat do this? It's not really sleep... but she gets down and is quite comfortable just louging with a good peice of her head in there.

She still freaks out about water... except when shes' drenched in the neck.

I think she got quite accostomed to it when she was in a cage for 4 months at the Humane Society... kinda like memeories of home :)

During the heat wave I was beginning to think I should run a cold bath she was in there so much... I kept breaking it up, and had to trim back her hair round her neck and chest, cause she couldn't groom there very well after a while of being always wet... but she didn't really mind the trim.

Being a Carent can be such a daunting task... oh yeah... what's the Judgment on Royal Canin? Any good... that's what Solo gets.

~W

Okay, I haven't had time to read the last few posts at length (I'm trying to actually work at work today :P)...however, I think the most important thing you can do for your cat is to feed them properly. All the vaccinations and shots in the world won't do dick if you're feeding them recycled animal bits and filler every day.

I feed Nutsy Wellness brand cat food. She gets the dry, purple/lite formula as she's kind of let herself go in recent years. Check out the ingredients! It's full of vitamins, minerals, fruits, vegetables and human grade meats.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols & Rosemary), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Spirulina, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Pro-Biotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus), Pre-Biotics (Mannanoligosaccharides), Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity).

I've done a lot of searching around and this was the best stuff I could find for her. She's been eating it for about a year now and has lost a little of that "old cat" ponch. The big changes have been with her energy and mood though. She plays more, is more affectionate, doesn't pee all over the damn place and just generally seems to be a happier cat.

Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but IAMS is one to avoid for more than just their list of ingredients. Take a gander at this or this if you feel like crying today. :(

I work part time at a health food store and have a lot of naturopaths, iridologists and regular old pet lovers who buy natural foods for their pets. In one of the free magazines we had last year there was an article on popular pet foods. While IAMS takes a brunt of the criticism for shoddy ingredients and animal cruelty, most of the other top companies are the same. When "meat byproduct" is listed as an ingredient, it can often mean euthanized animals. Sick. Brands that list chicken, salmon, etc. are still using low grade ingredients, but at least you're not feeding animals to each other. Ew!

1) should I not feed my kitten wet food everyday? He loves it soooo much and crys for it every morning at 7:10.

2) Does anyone elses kitten suckle their neck to the point it leaves little marks? Is this normal and should I stop him - He's crazy for it. You push him away or say no and he pushes so hard to get at my neck.

3) I was thinking of going back to School to become a Vet Assistant.....do you know anyone in this field? How is the pay? Is there a need for them?

1) I have no idea. *blush* Sorry there Sunshine. I feed my cat dry food and only give her the wet stuff every once in a while as a treat (it grosses me out). I have no idea if this is right though. Best to call a vet.

2) My cat is a demon and wants nothing to do with people 90% of the time. She also has a don't-pet-below-the-collar rule. I don't know how I ended up with such a prude. But I digress, friends of mine have cats that will suckle their ears, hair or necks while they sleep. They did it less and less as they grew up. Hopefully he'll grow out of it. Sheesh, must be awkward trying to explain all of those cat hickies. :P

3) Not sure if there's a demand for vet assistants right now...but the pet business is booming. Many folks in their 20s and 30s who are busy building careers are not having children...enter the surrogate children/pets. People have more disposable income now than ever and a great many are spending it on their pets (even on pet psychologists). Probably not a bad field to get into. You may want to check out the veterinary medicine department at Guelph University and see what you can find out. I've heard this department has a great reputation.

I have no idea. *blush* Sorry there Sunshine. I feed my cat dry food and only give her the wet stuff every once in a while as a treat (it grosses me out)

Definitely not judging those of you who feed your cats the super-natural foods, hell our cats get hypoallergenic food (intestinal problem w/one of them) that's somewhat comparable, but isn't it funny that pet owners tend to buy food that's closest to what a human would eat, even though cats and humans have about as much in common genetically as a tic tac and a rubber tire?

I mean nowhere in Egypt or China or whatever a cat's origins are would you find them eating oatmeal, apples or norwegian kelp right?

Marketing, a subject I love and am happy to be a part of, is more powerful than skeletor!

True Polkaroo, I thought it was very odd to find blueberries in my cat's food. I actually called the distributor (Old Mother Hubbard) to talk to someone about the ingredients. The foods aren't necessarily included because cats would eat them in the wild, but because they provide an organic form of nutriets that will benefit the cat.

e.g. I don't know any cats who eat canola oil, but it sure does help maintain a shiny coat and get rid of dandruff. :)

By no means am I doing what is perfectly natural for my cat (or I wouldn't have her living in a house). I'm just trying to do the best I can to keep her healthy.

I too have a cat named Monty. All I can say is monitor to make sure he is still peeing regularly.

He had a very bad case of UTI and became blocked so that he could not pee at all. He had to have surgery (which basically turned him into a girl)and is now on a special diet. The food is made to help prevent UTI. You have to get the food from the vet but it is great. W/D wet and Dry as well as S/O wet and dry. I do not know the brand but it seems vets know about it.

while we are on the topic of pets and pet care..I thought I would see what some of your thoughts are on the pet insurance.....I've heard mixed messages about it but basically I don't have 1500 dollars for freak random illness which can happen no matter what I feed my animal. Anyway I think sometimes that it might be smart, but I was also told in passing (wasn't really paying attention) that the insurance doesn't even cover much of anything and it is not worth it....so any options and/or knowledge out there?

We lost a cat to a car accident last year and we sure wished we had pet insurance then to save her life.

So when we got our dog in May, we asked our Vet which Insurance provider he would recommend and he said flat out "None". He advised that most people never have to use the insurance and thus have thrown their money out the window. If you're really worried he recommended simply opening a savings account and putting whatever you would be willing to spend on insurance in it every month. That way if you don't end up needing vet care, you'll have money in the bank.

We took his advise.

1)Does anyone elses kitten suckle their neck to the point it leaves little marks? Is this normal and should I stop him - He's crazy for it. You push him away or say no and he pushes so hard to get at my neck.

My cat Murphy bites my arms and neck when I pet him. I really DO NOT like it. I read an article about cat behaviour and in it they mentioned male cats bite to show a deep affection for somebody so I try to tolerate it.

The suckling thing is sometimes prominant in a kitten that has been taken away from it's mother to early. My mothers cat Fred used to suck and knead blankets. I think most cats will grow out of it in time like Fred Did. Now he's just a huge suck ;)

I was told although wet food is does increase water intake it is very bad for cats....I'm so confused. But glad to be revisiting this again as I do not want to find out that I've been feeding my cat absolute crap.

Just like dry food there are poor wet foods to feed your cat as well. I feel that dry food should be the main diet and wet food fed as treats 3-4 times a week. A brand of wet food like fancy feast has alot of water and very little nutritinal value for your cat. A good quality wet food would be Newmans Own, Natural Balance, Nutrience. Most pet stores carry those brands. I can tell you why in more detail if you'd like.