Jambands.ca

This is slightly gross..

ReDD

I hear this scratching sound coming from the bathroom and think "what are the cats doing now?" but just forget about it. A couple minutes later the scraching is still going on so I go investigate thinking they're destroying something. I go in the bathroom and Murphy is peering over the side of the tub and Monty is sitting there nicely in the tub. This isn't uncommon as Monty likes to roll balls, candels, potatoes (anything round he can carry) around in the bathtub. I go over to pet them and see Monty squatting with a yellow substance running down to the drain. At first I thought my shampoo must have been knocked over by the idiot then I realise the little asshole is peeing!! PEEING IN THE FREAKING BATHTUB!! I just finished scrubbing the hell out of the whole bathroom. I'm in utter shock. Since when do cats pee in the bathtub? I know cats will use other places to go when there litter is dirty but I just cleaned it yesterday. I am disgusted thinking that he may have done this before without me knowing and well I have alot of baths. How many times has my bathwater been tainted with cat piss? EWWWW...

Does anyone else's kitties do this kind of thing? Does anyone have any reasoning behind it? My search online came up with nothing..

Stupid cats..another reason why DOGS hold my number one spot as domesticated pets...

Whoa! Never heard of cats peeing in the tub. Sorry to hear that ReDD (although I am having a good chuckle at your expense - so sorry dear).

After my brother got a dog, my cat, Nutsy, took up the annoying habit of peeing in my bro's hockey bag. Whew! Now there's a smell for ya. P U

That's a new one./ Our cats have peed and shat just about everywhere else though. With one of ours it was the stress of housemates that made her drop one on the carpet from tiem to time - fortunately she's stopped that now.

If your cat looks like it's in pain or desperate to pee it may have a UTI and should be checked out.

Alexis: How did you train Jinxy to go in the toilet? Monty is very smart and i'm sure he could learn. Murphy on the other hands nicks name is dumb dumb and well I think him learning to use the litter box probably took all his mental capabilities.. :)

Kaidy: It took me a few minutes but I can see the hilarity..stupid cat.

Polkaroo: Monty as well as Murphy are both peeing and deficating machines. They have no trouble at all going to the washroom but thank you just the same for the concern!!

I had a bad case where my cats started peeing in the living room... and believe me, be thankful that it's the bathtub.... trying to get that pee smell out of carpeting is impossible... we just had new carpets put in because it was so bad.

I did find out one thing that stopped them though... catnip. I sprikled catnip all around the edges where they pee'd, and now the love to lie around on the carpet rather than pee there.

I have to agree with much of what's been said.

1. Bed VS bathtub -- no contest!

2. Don't be grossed out over a little cat pee, just take to spraying the tub clean before filling it up.

3. Any change in a cat's litter habits could definitely signal a UTI. Some cats don;t even meow in pain as a signal, so it can be hard to catch/figure out. It could be that he's associating pain with the litter box and so trying other spots to see if it's less painful for him (and not having to deal with the extra agitation of litter dust.)

It's expensive to treat, more so the longer you leave it. I'm quite vocal about this because I did lose a young cat to a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and will always live with the guilt.....

could be a urinary tract infection as mentioned above. check his belly and watch for swelling however it advances really-really fast so it might be a good idea to just take him in asap to be sure...

I did have a cat (female) who used to go in my tub eventhough I changed the litter regularly she seemed to just be really picky and want it changed more so than I saw fit...

but definitely get the cat checked out.

What everyone else said -- you should be grateful your cat is pissing in the tub. Makes clean up a sinch.

One of my kitties will always pee on the bath mat after I've had a shower, unless of course I remember to hang it up immediately. My memory sucks. Thus lots of pee.

Alexis: How did you train Jinxy to go in the toilet?

lol

I think she means jinxy from the movie Meet The Parents.

However my friend has successfully done this with his cat by starting him out with a custom litter box that fits over the bowl and then removing it once the cat was comfortable with it.

if thats a male cat I'd take him to the vet to make sure his urinary tract is ok... male cats can get a blocked urinary tract from cat food with Ash and Phosperous in it because their tract is "S" shaped... my cat got sick with that and after a week I was begging him to pee anywhere he wanted, just so he'd stop suffering so bad

otherwise I've only heard of cats peeing around over being pissed off about something or, as stated, a dirty litter box

(sorry, just replied to the original post... and yes, any change in a male cats litter habits can be a sign of bad trouble... keep a close eye, if anything is up the sooner to the vet the better (and cheaper))

Edited by Guest

two words[color:blue]golden shower

in unrelated news, the other day, I am lying in bed and one of my cats is hanging out there and the phone rings, now for some reason, the cat like to bite me (more like a nibble) when I am on the phone, well Sunshine bit my left nipple, man, now that was strange!

i came home today and found that my cute little demon-spawn (i mean that in the nicest way) had "dropped one", as polkaroo put it, in my powerpuff girls bag. i think maybe it was b/c my landlord came by when i was out; he also accidentally broke a little table so maybe she was freaked out. or maybe she was annoyed with me for leaving her alone. or, maybe she just has a problem with the powerpuff girls. from all the responses on this thread, yikes, i really hope she doesn't start going in all those other places.

ps could someone Please use the word "micturate"??

i was thinking more along the lines of "...every time a rug is micturated upon in this fair city..."

ahh hopeless lebowski addict.

Edited by Guest
rug. not carpet. that rug really tied the room together, did it not?

if thats a male cat I'd take him to the vet to make sure his urinary tract is ok... male cats can get a blocked urinary tract from cat food with Ash and Phosperous in it because their tract is "S" shaped...

I would like to clear this point up. There are alot of people who are afraid Monty has a UTI. Thank you for all of your concern. I am very sure Monty is in perfect health. He is very active, sleeping regularly with no bloating. He urinates regularly, in his litter box USUALLY!!

BUT Paisely is right. Poor nutrition can cause UTI. My cats are on the best of the best of foods. I used to work at a Pet Valu. Based on what I learned there and at nutrition seminars I think i've picked the right food to keep my cat clear of it. Here's the ingredient listing for NATURAL BALANCE Ultra-Premium Dry Cat Food:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Rosemary Extract, Dried Skimmed Milk, Natural Flavor, Dried Eggs, Carrots, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Kelp, DL Methionine, Dried Cranberries, Lecithin, Parsley Flakes, Tomato Pomace, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin C Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylene Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite.

Sorry to ramble on like this but I see so many of you have pets. It's very important that your cat eats well to maintain health and weight. A well fed animal will have fewer health problems, shed less/softer and shinier coat, better teeth, better breath, regular bowel movments, and weight.

Choosing a good food is hard sometimes. Pet Valu is a really great place to ask for advice about animal nutrition as there employees must attend pet food seminars regularly. They also sell Holistic foods. Even the Pet Valu store brand contains organic veggies!!

Thanks for all the replys to this.

I agree whole heartedly about it being grand that my cats aren't peeing the bed...:thumbup:

ReDD - how do you feel about Science Diet. I have a male cat and I worry about UTI's constantly. I have heard people pushing IAMS however my coworker fed her two male cats IAMS and both cats ended up with Urinary infections at different times that almost cost them their lives. She chalked it up to Iams being in higher demand now and cutting corners to mass produce.(although i know poor diet is not the only cause)...but I want to think that Science Diet is great for my cat and my vet agreed but with your experience and Pet Valu nutrition seminars what do you say?

Edited by Guest
i can't spell

I've been feeding my Kitten IAM's dry food and wet food everyday.

However, I'm switching to Truly Kitten dry food, and keeping the wet food in his diet. My vet said it's important to do both wet and dry.

If you are strictly feeding your cat dry food it's too high carb of a diet.

Does anyone know of dry/wet foods that are a little more animal friendly i.e aren't minced horse?

Deeps

PS I got the same wet/dry advice from my vet...they need both and IAMS is a little shady on the UTI front!

Edited by Guest

ReDD - how do you feel about Science Diet. I have a male cat and I worry about UTI's constantly. I have heard people pushing IAMS however my coworker fed her two male cats IAMS and both cats ended up with Urinary infections at different times that almost cost them their lives. She chalked it up to Iams being in higher demand now and cutting corners to mass produce.(although i know poor diet is not the only cause)...but I want to think that Science Diet is great for my cat and my vet agreed but with your experience and Pet Valu nutrition seminars what do you say?

This might take me a while. It would be so much easier if I could talk with you in person...:)

Please remember that I am only stating my personal opinion based on what I have learned. What I am about to say may offend some people as I have very strong opinions about Iams and Science Diet.

Cats are feline. Felines are carnavoires in the wild. Our little house kitties would be eating very little veggies if they became feral.

When looking for a good food there are some key ingrediants you want to look for. Meat or meat meal should be a first ingrediant in both wet and dry foods. Meat meal is not a bad thing. Most companies will dry and strip a peice of meat. All of the liquid is removed but the nutrients remain.

Pet food companies list the ingrediats based on the highest weight before the food is manufactured into wet or dry food. As you know when you cook a peice of meat it shrinks. Therfor when a company like Iams or Science diet list meat or meat by-products first it actually becomes the third or forth ingrediant. There sneaky you see, because it weighed the most at the beggining of the process they technically do not have to list it further down. ALSO meat by-products are not a good ingrediant. Guys that's all the parts of a chicken we wouldn't eat. Heads, feet and intestines..ewww. Not very nutricious for us and also not very nutricious for a cat. Basically you would choose a product listing MEAT MEAL (ex lamb meal, chicken meal) as a first ingrediant. It would contain the most meat because the meat is already dried before the kibble process.

An ideal second ingrediant would also be meat or meat meal. In a decent food rice would be listed. Most products list hard to digest ingredients like ground corn or the grain sorghum. In products like Iams or Science Diet they usually have corn AND sorghum listed. Corn contains to much sugar for a cats diet. It basically gives them a sugar rush and then a crash. Comparable to a chocolate bar for us humans. It's also hard to digest. You guys know what happens when we eat corn right? Also sorghum is the main ingrediant in bubble gum. It is just a cheap filler. When rice is a second ingrediant it gives the animal a more consistent energy level and it is also easy to digest.

Knowing now that Meat Meal, or Rice should be a first ingrediant go look at your Science Diet or Iams bags and tell me what it lists. I can't remember the exact listings but i'm pretty sure meat not meat meal as well as corn come up very early on the label. So that bag of food you have there, that the vet recommended :( it's like a bag of Mc Donalds for us. It's kitty fast food. It is more corn then anything else.

From what I understand a vet takes about a two week course on animal nutrtion out of there seven years of studies. Vets are amazing people and help us so much but alot recommend very poor quality food. And very sad to say alot rely on the profits of kick backs from the companies. For every bag of food sold at there store or recomended they get a small profit:(

There are alot of very good, knowledgable vets out there. I know of quite a few that will try and switch an animal from Iams or Science Diet to a better food. There are even more factors when it comes to looking for a good pet food brand. It is something I could talk about for pages but i'm sure i've already bored you all enough.

BAD FOODS:

Iams/Eukenuba

Whiskers/Purina

Science Diet

NO NAME GROCERY STORE BRANDS

FOODS TO LOOK INTO:

Natural Balance

Nutro

Performatrin (Pet Valu store brand, good food for your buck, frequent buyer program as well)

Nutram

Evolve

As for the wet/dry comment you guys are completely right. Cats usually will not drink alot of water and the moisture levels in wet food help with that. Djed and I only give it to our boys about three times a week. They drink out of the aquarium quite a bit though.

I hope this helps. Sorry about the length.

Edited by Guest