Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from hockey buzz

Sens close to signing Jason Williams(updated at 3:06pm)

July 11, 2008, 2:31 PM ET [285 Comments]

I am posting this from a blackberry. Just wanted to get this up quickly. I have this from two sources. Sens are very close to signing UFA Jason Williams. Williams spent last season in Chicago. If this is the case and the Sens can get him cheaper than Antoine Vermette, I wonder if Vermette will be a Sen by the end of the summer. It sure would be nice to have both of them as top six fowards though.

***Updated, he has signed but I am also told Sens are closing to trading Chris Neil. This would free up cap space and Neil is a UFA in a year. Plus with Ruutu and Bass in the fold, Sens are fine in the muscle department. With Yablonski in Binghamton signed, he could be called up if need be.***

***Predators and Blackhawks are after Neil, with Murray looking for a defensemen in return.***

Too bad he didn't follow up after Emery's denial with "Have you ever had a drug problem"? The question seemed designed to address and skirt the issue at the same time.

Welcome to life on a pre-taped show. Emery was already aware that question was coming probably due to a pre-interview. OTR rarely breaks a story; most end up or are designed to air only on TSN's SportsCentre.

According to insiders, Ottawa would trade netminder Martin Gerber and defenceman Andrej Meszaros to Los Angeles, the Kings would move 20-year-old centre Anze Kopitar to Chicago and the Blackhawks would propel goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and either of young blueliners Brent Seabrook or Cam Barker to the Senators.

Spector tells it better than me, but that deal doesn't make much sense. Why would LA deal their best forward to get yet another young D-man?

I could see a couple of separate deals where Ottawa gets a D from Chicago and LA gets 'Bulin, but I don't see the 3 way monster deal happening.