Jambands.ca

SAUL WILLIAMS, HAMILTON,SUN, SEPT. 18TH

kc

PJC is proud to present,

SAUL WILLIAMS

SaulWilliams.jpg

SUNDAY, SEPT. 18TH

With guests PEOPLES REPUBLIC, LAL.

Advance tickets $20, $25 day of. Available soon at Dr.Disc, Screamin Mimi's, Cartridge Copiers and Pepper Jack's.

Saul Williams:

Williams was born Newburgh, N.Y. in 1972 to a preacher father and school-teacher mother. "My mother was rushed from a James Brown concert in order to give birth to me ... At that concert, he sang 'Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud,' and that shit came out in my bloodstream. I was born with that in me." As a child he learned to love the spoken and written word.

After graduating from Morehouse College with a B.A. in philosophy, Williams moved to New York City to take a Master's Degree at New York University in acting. Here he found himself at the epicentre of the New York cafe poetry scene. By 1995 he had become a talented open mic poet and in 1996 he won the title of Nuyorican Poets Cafe's Grand Slam Champion.

Fame on the spoken-word circuit led him to the lead role in the 1998 feature film, SLAM, which won both the Sundance Festival Grand Jury Prize and the Cannes Camera D'Or, introducing Williams to international audiences.

Williams was at this time breaking into music. He had performed with such artists as renowned hip-hop artists The Fugees, Erykah Badu, KRS-One, De La Soul, DJ Krush, as well as legendary poets Allen Ginsberg and Sonia Sanchez. After releasing a string of EPs, in 2001 he released the much-hyped Amethyst Rock Star and in September 2004 his self-titled album with producer Rick Rubin.

As a writer, Williams has been published in The New York Times, Esquire, Bomb Magazine and African Voices, as well as having released three collections of poetry.

Williams has toured and lectured across the world, appearing in dozens of universities and colleges. He currently resides in Los Angeles, California.

Williams played several shows supporting Nine Inch Nails on their European tour in summer 2005.

www.saulwilliams.com

www.lalforest.com

www.pepperjackcafe.com

This guy is boss, just about the only spoken word that really hits me hard. You'd pretty much have to be if you're a spoken word artist supporting NIN.

He's at Algonquin College on September 1st, and Toronto's Ear to the Ground Festival on September 17th according to his website

• 1 month later...

Shain, you know a ton of long words. I'm now going to irascibly objurgate the disenfranchised proletariat with the aggressive spirit of the bacchanalian people, audaciously. :)

I really liked this line too: "Instead of the usual belittling that plagues message boards, there was cogent discussion that mirrored the man himself" hehe

Great read though, nice work.

AD

Great show. I enjoyed myself immensely. Just wish it could've been earlier. 45 minutes? Was that it? Thought it was more like an hour 15 or 20.

Could of been, I was transcended at the show and was just relaying what Jaydawg told me it was... It was definately worth the trip to Acton. I could care less about the time, just as long as something as worthwhile as what Saul delivered was delivered!