Jambands.ca

Drums N' Tuba in Peterborough

promoter

I'm trying to remember the last time I was at Zaphod, which was probably for Fishbone in April, 2002 (I got a boot to the head from Angelo Moore when he went crowd surfing :) ), and it's OK, but not my favourite place for music (I prefer Cafe Dekcuf or Mavericks, if they count as "the market") or drinking (I prefer either The Black Tomato or even The Dominion Tavern).

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks Deeps, I'll give them a listen....but is that a "Thumbs Up"? Should I put them on or are you in the band and biased..lol

No I wasn't taking a pot shot just giving my opinion....their agency is actually pretty much all old skool blues so that too is kinda weird that they're on this roster....

As to how D&T are live (if that's still in question), they're amazing. I first saw them a couple of years ago (2001?) at, of all places, Zaphod. I went because I figured that, with a name like "Drums & Tuba", it had to be offbeat enough to be interesting, at least.

I went with arcane and dancingfool, and we started off sitting near the street end of the club, which doesn't have a view of the stage. When the band started playing, I kept thinking there must have been at least five people on stage.

Soon after that, I lost track of arcane and dancingfool. After about 10 or 20 minutes of sitting there alone, I wandered towards the stage, and found them, raging hard, on the dance floor. To my surprise, there were only three people on stage, but they were playing as if they were several more: the horn player would lay a line on the tuba, loop it as a bass line, put the tuba down, pick up the trumpet, and play on top of it. The guitar player uses two guitars: one around his neck, and one on a stand. He played both guitars at once, at times, using his left hand to tap notes on the neck of the one around his neck, and his right hand to tap notes on the neck of the one on the stand. He also used a butter knife for a slide at times. The drummer blew me away: no relaxed, groovy swinging, no, he was hitting, hard, putting beats where you thought they didn't belong, but not randomly, reliably, laying down grooves in realms you hadn't perceived before.

The music was intense, angular, driving, and mind-blowing/expanding. This is a band that challenges your assumptions of what could constitute a viable band's line-up, while making you dance all the while. Wherever they'll be playing in Ottawa, I'll be there.

Aloha,

Brad

as far as your request for a local group, i really don't know what to suggest --- most of the locals seem to be in a sort of hiatus mode from their regular gigs. maybe talk to jaret at bluestreak about the fire flower revue (that's him) or any other recommendations. dave at the spill might have some ideas too. i know ecr and the weber brothers (and most other red dog regulars) are still in full swing -- though i don't know how well they'd suit d&t

way to go bringing them to peterborough! i hope you get a good turnout!

ahh the good ol' Dom. :) Man o man me and the Sloth haunted that place like 15ish years ago! Crazy!....haha they used to reserve a huge row of tables and pitchers for us. Funny I 've been thinking A Dom night is in order while the patios still going...please tell me that huge tree is still there? Yeah haven't been in a long time...kinda way outa the way now.

Hey sorry to be bummin' on a friend of yours. I shoulda known better...okay? :)

The Ottawa show has been moved to Sunday, Sept. 18, but no venue is listed on the band's tour dates.

Aloha,

Brad

I just checked the D&T shows list, and the Ottawa date has been removed. Weirder, the jambase D&T listings, which previously (as of last Friday) listed the first Ottawa date (which was Sept. 20), now list the Sept. 18 show, at Babylon.

Confused, I am. See Drums & Tuba, I may not.

Aloha,

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

tickets are now on sale at The Montreal House

282 Aylmer St.

Peterborough

if you're coming from out of town and wish me to reserve a ticket at the front for you I can do this and I'll keep it at the adv. price for thoose who do so...thanks

seenproductions@gmail.com

PS

coming soon

Grand Theft Bus....thoughts?