Jambands.ca

Letter to Bush from Micheal Moore

badams

just a clarifying post...

Why are we sitting here debating the left wing lunacy that is Michael Moore?

right... pretty much the direction i was going with this...

you can choose to talk about the situation, or you can choose to talk about why michael moore is a fuckwad for talking about the situation.

and basically, my "michael moore's tactics interest-o-meter" has topped out... but the underlying tone of my responses is that, regardless, the situation needs to be addressed and if someones feet need to be held to the fire to get things done, so be it.

so, what next? what can we do? aside from donating money, and/or canned goods to the red cross, or your local authorities or whatever... i suppose, we write to our local mp's and express our concern for sending aid and getting help to these people, in any way we can? i've read paul martin has said we're ready willing and able with whatever they need us to do, we're just waiting for them to tell us where they need us to be. thats a start.

low roller, maybe you have some suggestions? since you have stated that you will openly criticize anyone who does not lift a finger, what do you suggest? what do you plan to do? (that's not a shot in the least, im genuinely asking.)

if we network and communicate maybe this community can come up with something.

i am about to write a couple letters to some people in my organization to see how we can help out.. maybe organize a food drive or find some other means of monetary donation for food, shelter, rebuilding efforts, etc....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Could someone make a list of his "lies"?

The things that he said or presented that are factually wrong.

Jef

I just woke up, but one misrepresentation was the first scene in Bowling For Columbine: Guns were never actually given out in the bank to new bank members. The guns were mailed-out. The scene was staged.

Hey' date='

Jef[/quote']

I just woke up, but one misrepresentation was the first scene in Bowling For Columbine: Guns were never actually given out in the bank to new bank members. The guns were mailed-out. The scene was staged.

he also spliced charlton heston out of context. he was talking about the (not cancelled) NRA meeting in Colorado shortly after columbine, and showed a clip of heston holding a rifle above his head, ranting that they will "take away my gun over my cold dead body," without explaining that the clip in question was from a different meeting pre-columbine.

inaccuracies aside, the guy does make a very good point, and it's excellent fillmaking. i don't think it's necessarily legit "news" as such, but the "news" isn't much better, and moore is at least obviously biased toward the good side, and is performing a valuable fuction as loudmouth entertainer & filmmaker.

the list could go on and on...

i too am topped out..

i'm going to donate to the red cross.. other than donate, or actually head down there, i don't think too much can be done. i mean food banks are good and all, but there needs to be the means of getting the food to the people. that's where the good old red cross comes into play.

the germans shot down red cross planes during wwii as they attempted to rescue wounded soldiers. scary. i wonder if the media is blowing these 'gangs of new orleans' stories out of control... or if snipers really are a problem. hmmm.

bald guy i could sit for days on end and buzz out as to what the CIA knows that i don't.. i used to be obsessed with that kind of stuff.. in university i actually wrote a conspiracy theory column in the school paper. two shakes away from crawling in the closest at 4 am and chewing my finger nails off, i gave it up :)

Guest Low Roller
low roller, maybe you have some suggestions? since you have stated that you will openly criticize anyone who does not lift a finger, what do you suggest? what do you plan to do? (that's not a shot in the least, im genuinely asking.)

Well first and foremost I am trying to spread a little knowledge around my workplace and homefront. There seems to be a certain apathy here in the UK regarding the floods in the US, which is bizarre considering that the two countries are deeply in bed with each other. I have not seen any charity drives, fundraisers, or anything around here. I'm not of the caliber to be able to organize entire drives myself, but I would gladly contribute.

At this point the best advice I can give anyone is to donate to the Red Cross and other similar organizations. They have been spread so thin lately that I am sure they are strained for resources. Don't donate clothes or food because that stuff is expensive to transport and will end up swallowing a lot of the donated money.

Hey' date='

Jef[/quote']

he also spliced charlton heston out of context. he was talking about the (not cancelled) NRA meeting in Colorado shortly after columbine, and showed a clip of heston holding a rifle above his head, ranting that they will "take away my gun over my cold dead body," without explaining that the clip in question was from a different meeting pre-columbine.

inaccuracies aside, the guy does make a very good point, and it's excellent fillmaking. i don't think it's necessarily legit "news" as such, but the "news" isn't much better, and moore is at least obviously biased toward the good side, and is performing a valuable fuction as loudmouth entertainer & filmmaker.

If this is actually the kind of stuff that is meant by "liar", I'll gladly bow out now too. If anyone wants my condescending, simple and obvious response to these "lies" they can PM me.

Let's talk about reality TV.

Jef

Another Moore "lie" to make a point: In Columbine, the Littleton "weapons factory" doesn't make weapons, it makes jet propulsion devices.

So there was a fair amount of misleading going on in that film in order to make a better film. Moore recieved a little flak for it.

So, when he made F911 he made damn sure there wasn't any misleading stuff - he hired fact-checkers and all that, and yet (as others have pointed out), it was after the release of F911 that everybody started calling him a liar, though they only point to innacuracies from Columbine, 'cuz there ain't any in F911.

Oh, and I've heard Moore say several times that he has gotten rich off of being Moore. He's not pretending to be otherwise.

Another Moore "lie" to make a point: In Columbine, the Littleton "weapons factory" doesn't make weapons, it makes jet propulsion devices.

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right - Ani DiFranco

Ultimately I agree with Moores point in Stupid White Men about Bill Clintons record being even more Repulican (on Domestic issues) than the Republicans... we need some big fat ass to lean on the left to balance things out a bit... and Mother Nature delivered us Mike Moore!... or else... well... just pick up a news paper printed on classic Canadian soft wood lumber!

If we were picking teams for a world revolution football style... I'd put Michael Moore at Devensive Tackle.

BTW nice to meet/see you again at CTMF Velvet.

~W

PS I like the use of the quotes for "lie"... the ultimate loophole!

[color:purple]Bush to lead investigation into hurricane debacle

Last Updated Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:01:12 EDT

CBC News

U.S. President George Bush wants to get the bottom of what went wrong with the response to Hurricane Katrina. He announced Tuesday that he will oversee an investigation. The goal of the probe will be to identify past problems and to ensure that America could withstand a future catastrophe.

"What I intend to do is lead an investigation to find out what went right and what went wrong," Bush said. "We still live in an unsettled world. We want to make sure we can respond properly if there is a WMD (weapons of mass destruction) attack or another major storm."

"Bureaucracy is not going to stand in the way of getting the job done for the people," the president added.

Bush also announced he is sending Vice-President Dick Cheney to the Gulf Coast region on Thursday. Cheney will help determine whether the government is doing all that it can.

As for a deadline for his investigation, Bush said there will be "ample time" to figure out what went right and wrong. The immediate priority is saving lives and getting people the help they need.

"One of the things people want us to do here is play the blame game," Bush said. "We got to solve problems. There will be ample time to figure out what went right and what went wrong."

There we have it folks GWB is on the case now.

I don't think Ani's quote belittles the definition of weponary... rather it expands the definition of wepons to things you might not think of... such as jet perpulsion for rockets which can easily become interbalistic missles, or chickens fingers which can be used as prop guns to shoot people in schools. "Save us with your acting Gary." Who knows... maybe those kids were really bullying someone... it's funny to think it was all jokes and they got suspended, and everyone directly involved with that story is stupid, but maybe it was a recurring thing with the students... but I'm not in the buisness of selling newspapers so what do I know? ... hmmm or maybe I am...

The point that was trying to be made by Moore was that there are many towns which have been put on the map simply because they are military towns... or support supsidiaries of giant corporations which develop and manufature the full brunt of the American military weaponary. I won't go so far as suggesting that because soilders eat all farmers are immoral... but rather go so far as saying that Interbalistic missles, RPGs, and F-18's don't run on Tomatos. When you spend Trillions every year on a military budjet this is the case... Moore was simply suggesting that in Colombine, there is a lack of community, perhaps caused by a soulessness of the industry which supports the town... and in the extreme cases the offspring of the town start going to school and mowing everyone down... which should definately seem odd to people, and we should definately be looking for a root cause of this. Far better than suggesting that this was a freak occurance. I think Moore made a solid hypothesis about the Lockheed plant... atleast far more solid than justifying the Lockheed factory. Any corperations going concern which happily profits off of the spoils of an injust war is fundamentally wrong in my opionion, and the Journalistic risks that Michael Moore made to make the connection between Colombine, a Miltary Economy, a definciancy of health in the community, are sorely under echoed sentiments in my opinion. The kids invovled in the shootings must of felt an emense amount of powerlessness growing up nestled under Lockheeds nurturing teet. They just snapped... and what's ultra scary is that there were enough of them to form an assult unit. But we can piss on Moore, and forget why the guy is such a passionte nut in the first place, then nothing will happen. Cept maybe another highschool shooting.

And I was using the Tomato to defend the "Farmer not a subsidary of the corporations" Argument (though I could see that one being flawed too in America... you know... slavery and all)... and not suggesting that was the kind of tool Ani was refering too... but now that you bring it up, your right, [color:purple]food can't be used as a weapon... and now I will nap knowing that everyone around the world is full. :)

Put Ani in a room that has a guy casually holding a machine gun and another guy menacing her with a tomato.

She may change the lyric.

Oh come on.

..and Rob Hunter obviously hates women because of Jack Straw.

Please don't remove things from their context if you're going criticize them.

The whole line is

"I sing sometimes for the war that I fight,

cause every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."

The line is about empowerment and purpose (in a woman's life if you read the whole lyric "My IQ").

The person that's making it belittle guns is the one who took it out of context.

Don't blame Ani for this.

Jef

P.S.-Thanks George, I'm sure we're all feeling better now.

Edited by Guest