Jambands.ca

James Blake at the US Open

AD

Don't know if there are any tennis fans around here, but tomorrow will be a (hopefully) epic match of two great Americans in the US Open Men's quarterfinals. Agassi vs. James Blake.

Blake is the real deal, exceptionally talented, charismatic, and a real survivor; Last year he broke his neck on-court, and this year he's both lost his father to cancer and suffered a stress-related virus that left his face paralyzed and his vision in question. And yesterday he beat Rafael Nadal in 4 sets.

If the real Agassi shows up this could be one of the greatest American matches since Agassi / Sampras 2001 or Krickstein / Connors way back in the day.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) night on TSN (hopefully).

AD

did you really just reference a krickstein/connors match?

Not a Krickstein / Connors match, the Krickstein / Connors match.

September 2, 1991, Connors' 39th birthday. Connors beats 24-year-old Aaron Krickstein 3-6, 7-6 (10-8), 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) in 4 hours 42 minutes. Possibly the greatest tennis match I've ever seen, and I watched a lot of tennis. I was 12 at the time and I still remember Connors coming back down 5-2 in the fifth. Awesome match.

AD

Many tennis players are pathetic. How many times do fans have to be sucked in to buying tickets or watching non-Grand Slam matches only to see one of the top ranked players either cancel due to injury, or tank a match?

Something has to be done anout this. I'm looking at you Williams sisters... but you are not alone.

Same goes for any sport really though... Except in tennis you can't hide behind teammates or equipment... And you can't ride coattails to championships like lesser-skilled hockey / basketball / football players.

Serena and Venus are ranked 8 and 10, and yeah some of their behaviour is questionable, but there's less than 10 players better than them in the world so I'm not sure your beef is warranted in the degree you're saying....

AD

I realize tennis players have busy schedules. There are far too many tounaments each year, and there isn't really an off-season.

When players consistently pull out of tier 1 tournaments year after year ( other than Grand Slams ), you have to question the validity of their excuses. Just look at the Canadian women's open this year.

I know there are some tough tennis players and it is really hard to play effectively when not 100%, but the ambiguous " stomach virus " or " back-strain " excuses days before a tournament are far too common.

Yes AD, you beautifully brilliant Nostradamus. You called that one on the money. That was, apparently, the best bridal show of the year.

If you have further premonitions, please let us know and hopefully it will be something of interest to me.

(Seriously though, good call..........)