Jambands.ca

A Week in Paradise

secondtube

Lady Evelyn Lake is a flooded river system, created by damning the Montreal River. It holds a natural population of Walleye, Pike, and Smallies, as well as stocked bows and speckles in some back lakes.

Our crew of five guys and two boats left Monday night (Labour Day Monday) at midnight, arriving to New Liskard around 8am...a perfect time to enjoy our Lady Evelyn Breakfast.

img56242jb.jpg

We launched without problem...both boats were loaded up...

img56259vl.jpg

Paying a trailering service to take ya over the dam accesses the lake. Had no problem with our 17 and 19 foot Lunds.

Taking Out:

img56266ph.jpg

Putting Back In:

img56275ft.jpg

Simple as pie.

The trip to our campsite was a little over 7 mile run....and a beautiful run at that...

Our idea was to to an evening fish, but by the time we were set up, it was almost four pm, and we were beat (or wanted to drink...a little of both i think)... so shore fishing it was. Because we didn't have a dock, or a beach to land the boats, my boat was declared 'runner', and Jackson's 19' was anchored offshore.... i think i got the short end of that stick. :D

img56928mr.jpg

Ian.

img56307gr.jpg

Jackson.

img56314om.jpg

Jackson and Ian. (Notice Jackson's excellent use of the beer/rod combo)

img56338pm.jpg

The evening was beautiful...unfortunately the beers took over, and we fell asleep quite early.... but it was needed after a whole night of driving, then a day of traveling.... A nice south wind blew us warmer temps all night long.... perfect.

Wednesday was spent fighting heavy north winds, and looking for pickerel. Jackson is an accomplished Walleye fisherman, and it didn't take him long to find a consistent pattern.... finding fish bigger than 12" proved to be difficult though.

Jackson and Hammer working jigs in 15' of water.

img56382qo.jpg

We ended up catching close to a dozen fish between the two boats, and kept five decent ones for the pan, including one nice 21"er (caught by Jackson).

21"er

img56421nv.jpg

Dinner

img56432df.jpg

Jackson, who can catch em, can also cook em.... and we didn't mind one bit, lol. :D We knew five guys would eat a lot of pickerel, and likely we would/couldn't catch enough for a nice fry, so we brought some frozen fish caught in Erie to add to our fresh fish....perfect.

img56478gj.jpg

img56485px.jpg

Wednesday night brought us some nasty Northern Winds, dropping the temps to below 10 degrees....you could see your breath.

Wednesday night's beautiful, but cold, sunset.

img56509kr.jpg

Thursday was windy, windy, windy.... straight from the North...Temps dropped to the mid teens, and the fishing shut right down...We worked 'em hard, trying to work jigs in three foot waves....difficult to say the least....

But The Beautiful Lady wasn’t to let us down.... rather than rewarding us with fish; she displayed the most beautiful sunset i've ever witnessed. This next run of pics will show the progression, but doesn't come even close to doing it justice...(all pix are unedited)

img56533wl.jpg

img56550kf.jpg

img56565ro.jpg

img56577ij.jpg

Thursday night was another cold one.... so the Lund worked as the wood-gathering boat (what doesn't this Lund do?)

img56939nf.jpg

This time a little drunken comedy and a warm fire passed the time....

img56600dn.jpg

img56654po.jpg

After two cold days in a row, and a Northern wind blowing hard both days, we were at a loss how to target the fish our final day.... I remembered Dave mentioned something about a Brook Trout stream in the area.... None of us had ever caught a Brook Trout, so everyone was game. Unfortunately all we had were 7 foot walleye rods...not the best stream trout equipment.... but none the less, we were going to make a go at it!

We had a glance on the map, turned on the gps, and away we went.... about three miles to the beginning of the river.... shallow, but nothing my Lund cant handle.... (After all, even if it couldn’t handle it, i wouldn't know unless i tried...)

Up the river we went...

img56914ia.jpg

Passing through curve after elbow, shallow area after pull over... we eventually heard the waterfall in the distance...seven miles later. Pulled the boat up on the first sandy area we've seen all trip (nice!).

img56696dm.jpg

A nice trail led us to the waterfall.... a beautiful cascading set of falls, flowing quickly over some lush green forest.... almost rainforest like.... did i mention this place is paradise? A quick group shot, and away we went, in search of the supposed Brook Trout.

From left to right: Ian - Jackson - Hammer - George

img56716jf.jpg

I walked to the top of the falls, looking for holes, while Jackson worked the holes on the bottom...

The falls from the top:

img56793fp.jpg

It wasn't long before i heard the excited shout, fish on! It wasn't huge, but i haven't seen Jackson smile like that in a long time.... his, hell all of our, first brookie!!!!

img56806nq.jpg

I was excited by this point.... I’ve wanted to catch a beautiful, natural Brook Trout my whole life, but finding streams that have them, at least in Southern Ontario, isn't an easy thing...i found the first hole that looked juicy, and started working my worm...It contained a small falls that flowed quickly underneath an undercut shoreline.... heck, its just easier to show ya!

img56733vs.jpg

img56744zu.jpg

Well, see that undercut? It produced my first Brookie ever!!!! Its not big, but its a good start!

img56838rn.jpg

The colours on it were incredible.... the image is untouched.... absolutely breathtaking!!! What a fish!!! True beauty.

I continued walked up the river, passing breathtaking views of the falls through the bush.

img56847ah.jpg

Through the bush appeared this falls...it almost looked too perfect.

img56775bt.jpg

I drifted a worm with a single split shot between the twin falls, and on the first run, i had a hard hit.... a light hook set brought me my best brookie of the day...she was 14" (measured by the handle of my rod) ...

I decided rather than taking a cheap shot like the last one, i'd try and set up a shot behind the falls.... this was the result.

img56851xv.jpg

When i met up with jackson, i found he had caught the nicest of the day.... what else is new, lol.

img56899rb.jpg

Well, this pretty much wraps up the report.... It ranks up there in the top three trips i've ever taken....Great Times, Great Friends, Great Fish, What more can you ask for?

I'll close with the last nights sunset, behind the campfire, and the campsite as we left it Saturday Morning. Spotless.

img56949id.jpg

img56954qr.jpg