Jambands.ca

Boys Names

h

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats!!!!

our friends 4 yr old sons name is hayden, but i say you call your son Amos. or Sherlock, or maybe gentle monkeys suggestion BorkBork.

my name, and paans, kevin, means handsome, maybe youll want to look into the meaning of a name before you give it? just a thought, douglas, my middle, means "from the dark waters...

and once again,,, congrats!!!!

my votes for Amos

here ya go http://www.behindthename.com/

My girl and I are going through the same exercise right now, the name game. We aren't going to find out the sex until he/she arrives which makes it doubly hard it seems. The short list for boys includes: Mason, Ty, Holden (my middle name), Grayson, Alec and Owen. For a girl we can only agree on Quinn and Marley. It's harder than naming the dog... Oh, and she has a son named Hunter already - you are right, there are 4 others just in our neighborhood!! Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!

Having been through the excercise, I understand it's truly difficult, girls names are easy

Traditional that I like:

James

William

Jeremy

Jonah

Bruce

Absurd:

Joe Dirt

Duece

Ace

Andy Capp

Lazlo

Bouche

Booche

Why not name him after music:

Crosby

Stills

Nash

Jethro

Robinson

Jerry

Kurt

Marley

Personally, I thought I was having a boy until she came into the world and I named her after Abbey Road, although the official name is Abigail

All the best

i would ummm suggest whatever you pick, make sure it's something you'll be happy saying oh....100 million kajillion times in your life.

no kidding! We knew our boy's name from the beginning so we had said it about that many times before he was even born... KADEN KADEN KADEN... I still love it.

So far my fav names in this thread are BORK BORK and Joey Joe Joe... nice.

I had a really hard time finding an interesting boys name too h... I've always liked the names Ryan and Daniel.

You also have to choose a name that, along with the middle and last names, allows for a gradient of identification. In my case:

Parent calls out, "Brad!" => everything's OK

Parent calls out, "Bradley!" => possibly a problem

Parent calls out, "Bradley Kenneth!" => uh-oh

Parent calls out, "Bradley Kenneth !" => I see a world of hurt coming...

Aloha,

Brad

Parent calls out' date=' "Brad!" => everything's OK

Parent calls out, "Bradley!" => possibly a problem

Parent calls out, "Bradley Kenneth!" => uh-oh

Parent calls out, "Bradley Kenneth !" => I see a world of hurt coming...

[/quote']

What about a US border guard addressing you as Bradley in a 3rd-grade teacher's voice? :-D

Oh, man, that's a whole other realm of psychic trauma...

Aloha,

Brad

In Quebec, George Foreman would be considered mundane.

It's common for people here to use their middle names, and they often have two of them. Why? Because half the bloody province names their kids "Joseph" and "Marie," in deference to the Catholic church. It's understood that these names will not be used except for official purposes.

Mercenary's joke is that that's how you get the attention of a crowd in Montreal--just yell "Joseph! Marie!" It's like screaming "Raven! Morgan!" at a pagan gathering.

:-)

I don't know how prevalent the Joseph and Marie naming has been in the last few decades, but yeah--my wife (born 1971) is officially named Marie Christine, but her name's Christine.

The worst name you could be given as a Francophone Quebecer is Steeve. That's right, Steeve. Misspelled with the extra e because a) apparently that's how the parents assume it's spelled and B) they apparently aren't aware that Steve is short for Stephen or Steven. Poor kids. Another variation I came across just yesterday is "Styve," which I gather is a blend of "Steve" and "Yves."

Then there's the whole matter of women not taking their husband's names, which leads to unwieldy double-barrelled surnames. Humourous possibilities include "Tétrault-Boucher," which phonetically sounds like "you're too stuffed." Then when you get to the next generation and a guy with a hyphenate surname marries a girl with one, do their kids have four surnames?

But seriously...

Our child (if ever we are so lucky) may well be named Zachary if it's a boy. (Zack for short is cool, too.) As a bi-cultural couple, my wife and I have given ourselves the added challenge of finding a name that works in both official languages.

And you can't go wrong with Michael :-). Traditional, as Brad said, but a consistent winner.

And as lazloish as it is....i always liked christian. stupid religion stealing a perfectly good name.

bad name story....i had a customer at a former job who's name was anita hoel. i even met her father, and if it weren't for his 90ish feebleness i would have asked him why in the world he would have named his kid that.

Then there's the whole matter of women not taking their husband's names... Then when you get to the next generation and a guy with a hyphenate surname marries a girl with one, do their kids have four surnames?

I like my last name and I would like to keep it, but I am NOT down with the hyphenated names, nor do I want my kids to have a different last name from mine. Therefore we've decided to create a new last name when the time comes...a new name for our new family. :)