Jambands.ca

New rules for the 2005-2006 NHL season

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

4308_3.jpg

This is the new "Goaltender trap-zone area" that is being implemented to reduce the amount of puck-handling a goaltender can do.

Visual explanation

I for one don't like this rule because it strengthens the hideous dump-and-chase tactic which is my least favorite move in hockey. The dump-and-chase became necessary to counteract the dreaded neutral zone trap, but now that the trap has been rendered obsolete thanks to the removal of the red line and the enforcing of interference, was it really necessary to add more credibility to the ugly dump-and-chase?

Edited by Low Roller

The trap was not becoming obsolete LR because of the red line being removed. It just moved to the defensive teams blue line. Dump and chase has been in hockey for a looooooooong time and the trap had nothing to do with it. If anything, the trap came about to counter-act the dump and chase. D&C aint going nowhere. Ever.

I just got back from watching the leafs training camp where they were scrimaging with refs and using the new rules... the new 2 line pass rule

made a huge difference as O'Neil and Sundin were getting great breaks from those long passes out of their own end.. The flow of the game was great...look for defenceman piling up more assists from these plays.

This hockey will be the most entertaining since that trap word came into being.

Jason Allison played with O'neil and they looked great. Sundin is amazing and Czercowski looked alright... Stumpy may just make this team as he's giving it all he has and he set up a beauty today...

Their defence just sucks!!!!!!

Defencemen are only gonna get assists from those long lead passes, I don't see much actual scoring from them since they'll have to hang further back to protect against the pass.

It's gonna be wierd adjusting to these new rules for sure.

AD

ps. Leafs suck.

Guest Low Roller

I'm curious about the shootouts. I think everyone is excited about them now, but once the thrill wears off fans may get sick of them considering how many games end in ties. Think about how watered down the shootout will become after being considered the most exciting play in hockey.

this seems like some kind of cheap marketing tactic....directed towards arseholes.

Bingo.

Also, why does anybody believe that the weaker teams wont play even more defensively in this new system?

And, im not sure about this, maybe one of you guys know, but doesnt no red line mean that a puck can be dumped from further away without it being called for icing?

"And, im not sure about this, maybe one of you guys know, but doesnt no red line mean that a puck can be dumped from further away without it being called for icing? "

Exactly.

Now, the interesting thing is goalies will only have a certain area in behind the net to play the puck. Outside of those lines, you are going to see Delay Of Game penalties.

From what the 'so-called' experts gather, defenceman are at a HUGE risk for bone-crushing hits ala dumping the puck into the offensive zone. They will have to play it in situations that they wouldnt have in the past.

Dump the puck > Hit the d-man > Turnover the puck > One pass to Kovalev > Goal

That's how I would coach it. Who knows though. This is going to be crazy.

re: No red line

I foresee this taking away from any good short-handed gameplay which can occur since the shorthanded team will no doubt have to leave a player back to watch for the cherry picker.

Personally,I don't like it, but I guess I'll have to see it played to really decide.Just seems hockey is becoming more a show then a sport.Depressing for this this ex-player.

WTF??? What kind of novelty horseshit is this?? I think there will be less shootouts in the regular season than people expect, but this seems like some kind of cheap marketing tactic....directed towards arseholes.

I believe it's to get the players used to the concept of a shootout... Just like they're practising with the new rules in the pre-season... Seems logical to me

AD